Miike's Phoenix Wright Movie Actually Looks Good

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Miike's Phoenix Wright Movie Actually Looks Good

Finally, a videogame movie that seemingly lives up to its inspiration.

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves. Gyakuten Saiban -- unsurprisingly the Japanese film uses the series' Japanese title -- doesn't hit movie screens until early 2012, but based on this trailer things look very promising.

Apparently the film follows the plot of the first Phoenix Wright -- sorry for the culture shock, but I'm using the American terminology from here on out -- game, most crucially the death of Mia Fey and the drama that spirals out of that. Fans of the game, even those who can't speak Japanese, should be able to make out familiar touchstones in that trailer. The judge. Maya. Phoenix's physics-defying hair. Tell me those things don't look spot on. Go ahead, I dare you.

I don't know why I'm acting so shocked here. The film is being directed by the brilliant Takashi Miike. Capcom's series is defined by its mix of pathos and wacky comedy, so Miike's unmatched ability to switch genres at the drop of a hat should come in handy. After all, this is the man who directed the phenomenal, Kurosawa-esque 13 Assassins, only months before the family-friendly Ninja Kids!!!

And I think his work on Ichi The Killer -- specifically that hilarious/disgusting opening bit -- proves that Miike can blend human emotions together at will.

On a depressing note, the odds of Gyakuten Saiban -- this article needs a localization team -- ever making a big splash in America are slim to none. The Phoenix Wright series is popular enough here that we'll likely see a subtitled release of the film at some point, but I wouldn't hold out hope for some Hollywood studio giving this movie the big budget treatment.

On the upside, that means I won't ever have to write an article speculating on who might star in the American remake. Which is good because nobody wants to read 1,500 words of overt praise for Mark-Paul Gosselaar.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
If this Pheonix Wright movie adaptation lives up to its inspiration then i guess im clear to have high hopes for the Devil May Cry movie.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Wow! I'M very impressed. I love the 'Ace Attorney' games and did expect the usual disaster when it comes to video game movies, but... Yeah, judging from the trailer this could be pretty much what I've been playing for years.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
soo it,s a movie adaptation of the first game looks good but a bit to sci-fi for me I always imagined the PW trials being more like the real ones.
The Bandit said:
Oh God. The anime hair.
when you think about it nobody in PW has a regular haircut.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
henritje said:
soo it,s a movie adaptation of the first game looks good but a bit to sci-fi for me I always imagined the PW trials being more like the real ones.
Really? the movie seems kind of tame considering the game had an epic objection at least once every minute.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
How long before the American version directed by Uwe Bowle is released that has NOTHING to do with courtroom drama and is instead about fighting transdimensinal alien vampires from the past's future.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
lobster1077 said:
henritje said:
Really? the movie seems kind of tame considering the game had an epic objection at least once every minute.
apart from the cheesiness (or the prosecution whipping the defense)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
......WANT.

Sorry that's all I can really add to this discussion aside from it better come with english subtitles and original japanese audio, instead of a bullshit dub job.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I'm shocked beyond reason that this is actually happening, nothing but some kind of awesome could come of this.

The Nix

Mar 1, 2011
On one hand, I am really pumped for this movie, it looks great!
But this also serves as a reminder that ace attorney investigations 2 were never released outside of Japan:(

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I really hoping this film will do well for basing on a video game, we all know how well those films turn. Still the game series is a story driven game so in theory it should be decent enough to break the mold (I'm still going to watch it).

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
When I saw this on College Humor I thought it was a joke preview (like the Minesweeper movie. trailer) This is absolutely impossibly to take seriously - if they're trying to make it funny it could work well but I can't imagine they would try to make this straight-faced.

Jan 27, 2011
...Ok, an ancient looking courtroom with air-displays that Phoenix THROWS at someone? What? And THAT'S Von karma?! He doesn't look evil at all.....

.........Ok, grievances over.

Aside from those two points, I think this looks pretty neat, and will probably give it a shot if it gets subbed. Color me curious.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And a Google tech scratches his head at the sudden spike in "Mark-Paul Gosselaar" searches by the 14-21 demographic.

[small]Damn kids better not be on my lawn while they're doing that "Google" thing.[/small]

Myrph

Proud owner of a Jamtroller
Oct 27, 2009
If this is purely Mia Fey and DL6 incident, what's up with Dee Vasquez making an appearance? Any chance we're going to see more cases than just the big ones?

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Hmmm, saying it actually looks good? Have you ever seen a Japanese game-to-film combo?

The trailers are freaking awesome, but the film is incredibly laughable. Giving Japan's history with this stuff, I'm going to remain dubious.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I want to see this movie so bad, but the hair...what? Am I the only one that thinks the hairs look pretty bad? Well realistically speaking of course. When compared to the game it's spot on, but here they just look so weird!

Anyway! Everything else looks good :D