Mikhail Kalashnikov Passes Away.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
thaluikhain said:
The other option was destroying the infrastructure and agriculture and starving them into submission. Apparently the Japanese leaders were preparing to starve the civilians to keep the military fed.

The invasion, death toll in the millions, 500,000 purple hearts and all was MacArthur's thing, nobody else was too keen.
Technically the other option was accepting the conditional surrender the Japanese were trying to work out with the Soviets.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Axolotl said:
thaluikhain said:
The other option was destroying the infrastructure and agriculture and starving them into submission. Apparently the Japanese leaders were preparing to starve the civilians to keep the military fed.

The invasion, death toll in the millions, 500,000 purple hearts and all was MacArthur's thing, nobody else was too keen.
Technically the other option was accepting the conditional surrender the Japanese were trying to work out with the Soviets.
True, though given that the Japanese wanted to keep the territory they'd taken from people who weren't European, and were busily massacring civilians there, that wasn't a very good option.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
AntiChri5 said:
Redlin5 said:
While the man may have never intended it, his greatest legacy is children killing children with his weapon. The history is fascinating but the brutal truth is that the design will continue to the instrument of atrocity for decades to come.
No, it's not. He didn't invent the firearm, just a firearm. If not for him, those killing people with AK's would be killing people with slightly different guns.
Brilliant engineer but come on, in the end he's just furthering death. The whole people-will-kill-people-anyway defense is shoddy.
No, it's not. If not for him people would simply be using different guns. Thats a fact.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
AntiChri5 said:
Redlin5 said:
AntiChri5 said:
I know he didn't invent the gun. He just invented the poster child of modern war and gun violence.
And if he hadn'tt, a different gun would be.
Even as it is, I think the M16 family challenges the AK47 for that title. If the US had agreed with the rest of NATO it'd probably have been the FAL.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I remember watching an interview of him and he said he only wanted the AK-47 to be a weapon for those to defend their country with and never wanted to see it used in terrorist attacks or ethnic cleansing in Africa. An understandable view, but it is nieve to assume that the USSR/Russia would have only ever exported that weapon for that purpose.

I think the man can however be praised for his engineering talents- and he can't fairly be blamed for the millions of those killed by his weapon.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'm confused. Why is he being praised for being a great engineer? Was the AK47 that much of a feat? I see it as a mini-van, not an autobahn burner.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Dang, you could drop that thing in mud and it would still fire. Well...at least it has been immortalized in about two hundred video games. Kind of sad to know the man wanted to invent something else, but his mind only gave him a gun.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
LetalisK said:
I'm confused. Why is he being praised for being a great engineer? Was the AK47 that much of a feat? I see it as a mini-van, not an autobahn burner.
The AKM(a slightly tweaked AK-47) was a marvel because it was essentially a rifle for everyone. Any fool could be taught how to use and maintain it in an hour and it did what an infantryman needed it to do. Its accurate enough for a majority of combat scenarios, its durable enough to be usable in essentially any situation, and its reliable beyond all compare. Its also cheap and easy to manufacture which allows them to be given to every soldier. It was also a huge leap over the last premier service rifle, the M1 Garand, as it had over three times the ammo capacity, was lighter, and easier to use.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Shock and Awe said:
LetalisK said:
The AKM(a slightly tweaked AK-47) was a marvel because it was essentially a rifle for everyone. Any fool could be taught how to use and maintain it in an hour and it did what an infantryman needed it to do. Its accurate enough for a majority of combat scenarios, its durable enough to be usable in essentially any situation, and its reliable beyond all compare. Its also cheap and easy to manufacture which allows them to be given to every soldier. It was also a huge leap over the last premier service rifle, the M1 Garand, as it had over three times the ammo capacity, was lighter, and easier to use.
The old, neglected Taliban rifles my friend came across in Afghanistan were so rusty and dirt-encrusted that they commonly emitted a horrible squealing noise when he pulled back the charging handle. Yet they still pretty much fired themselves clear. On at least one occasion, they came into contact with a sharpshooter using an old Lee Enfield with iron sights. They don't make them like that any more, etc.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Worgen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Worgen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Worgen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Scolar Visari said:
I'm interested in how others view the man and his legacy.
He made death easier. I'm not exactly bereaved.
Ehhh, not really, his wasn't the first assault rifle. The soviets just used his design as a form of currency, so now they are all over.
I didn't say it was the first, I said it made death easier.
Ehhh, not really. I mean it was just a natural progression of guns, really if you want to blame someone for making death easier then blame maxim, the inventor of the machine gun. That gun really made death easier. I have heard that Maxim hoped it would cause wars to be so costly that no one would wage war, I'm not sure how true that is though.
It does make death easier though doesn't it? That's why it's so popular. Cheap and easy to kill with.
The only reason its so cheap is because the soviets used it as currency and gave it to everyone, aside from that the only thing the ak has going for it is that its really reliable, other wise there are a lot of other rapid fire weapons around.
Then why is the AK such a big deal then?
Because there are so many of them around it became an iconic weapon. The ak didn't really do anything new, as I said before, the soviets used it as currency so it is everywhere. Thats really the only big deal about it, its common as dirt. If there wasn't an ak then people would have found another rapid fire weapon.

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
thaluikhain said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
IceForce said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Brilliant engineer but come on, in the end he's just furthering death. The whole people-will-kill-people-anyway defense is shoddy.
Would you say the same about the scientists who first split the atom, and lead to the development of the nuke?
Look I hate nuclear weapons. I do. I hate them. I've seen that movie The Day After. I've read a lot of Post-Apocalyptic fiction. They're just horrible, and mutually assured destruction is just so wildly irresponsible... how many times has the world almost ended over mis-communication? And I do feel terrible for the Japanese people. I do.

However... as I understand it, against the Japanese in WWII, we were up against the whole country. I've been lead to believe that the entire population, every man woman and child was ready to fight till the bitter end (the news was even telling people to stock up on rocks in their homes)

And if that's correct, I mean, what the hell? Fuck could we do? World was fucked either way.

Actually there were statements from MacArthur, Herbert Hoover, another general Mc...Mc something..errgh I can't remember and other generals that said the Atomic Bomb was unnecessary after all that previous carpet bombing their current sea strongholds were enough for a surrender.

Its still hotly debated but then again, the growing military industrial complex, war cabinet and eager business community had far more puppet string influence over Harry Truman at the time, while Roosevelt comparatively kept the apes in line.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
AntiChri5 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
AntiChri5 said:
Redlin5 said:
While the man may have never intended it, his greatest legacy is children killing children with his weapon. The history is fascinating but the brutal truth is that the design will continue to the instrument of atrocity for decades to come.
No, it's not. He didn't invent the firearm, just a firearm. If not for him, those killing people with AK's would be killing people with slightly different guns.
No, it's not. If not for him people would simply be using different guns. Thats a fact.
I don't get this. I say he's a particularly nasty merchant of death, people bolt. I say OK, he's just ANOTHER merchant of death, people bolt. Fine. Why do you care about this guy again?

Shock and Awe said:
LetalisK said:
The AKM(a slightly tweaked AK-47) was a marvel because it was essentially a rifle for everyone.
Much good that did.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
He is, in no way, a "merchant of death". He invented the AK, he didn't sell it. You could make the argument he was an "inventor of death" i suppose, but not a merchant.

And there is no evidence to classify him as "nasty".

I don't particularly care about him, it just bugs me that people demonize him for no real reason. As a passionate supporter of gun control, it bugs me when people demonize guns.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Upload of something I made yesterday,

Karelwolfpup

Jul 5, 2012
hmmm... evil merchant of death? no... can't honestly say that myself since he never really profited personally, nor did he sell the guns himself. Then maybe a patriot whose invention was used for nefarious purposes by the so called "elite" of a corrupt and blinkered system that bankrolled itself upon the deaths of countless people across the world for its own gain? yes.
Did he have a conscience for what his work meant in the wider world? .... ehhhh... that's a grey area, though I suspect he did not even consider himself guilty of any crime(s).

Will I miss him? not really. Don;t miss Mandela, why should I miss Kalashnikov? Their times are over anyway, plenty of corrupt little egotists running around that have inherited the legacies of both these men.
I can certainly say he has made his mark on the world.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
He was a good designer. His weapons worked.

I don't hold him responsible for the deaths caused by his weapons, anymore than I hold Nobel responsible for the death of anyone killed by TNT. He invented the gun for what he genuinely felt were the right reasons - the protection of Russia. That's the long and the short of it. Sure, the guns have spread like wild-fire - I hold the Cold-War leaders of the USSR more responsible for that, as well as International Weapons-Dealers (including many from the US). But him? No. I have nothing personal against the man.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
To hate the man, you would have to hate every single weapons designer ever. And to hate every single weapons designer ever would be to hate any need for weapons. Unless you are a COMPLETE pacifist, you recognize that there are some legitimate uses for weapons (for example, the police using a Glock Pistol to shoot an armed robber). Therefore, you MUST logically recognize that SOMEONE has to design those guns and that it is legitimate for them to design such a weapon. To completely hate a weapons designer, you'd have to completely swear off any State from using force for any means whatsoever.

Yes, the AK-47 and its many variants have been used in many conflicts. I can guarantee you 100% that if the AK-47 had never been invented, they'd be using something else, but they wouldn't have stopped fighting. They would have used a different weapon - someone else would have stepped in to fill the gap.

He wasn't designing it to be used by terrorist groups or child-soldiers. He designed it for what I feel is a LEGITIMATE PURPOSE - for the military of his country. The only way you could say that it was a bad thing for him to design that weapon is if you take the COMPLETE pacifist mind-set of never using force for any purpose whatsoever.

If you are a complete pacifist, I wish you luck. You're gonna need it.

(P.S If you are a COMPLETE pacifist, you also have to swear off on calling the police to help you - it's not enough for you to not use force, you can't let anyone else use force on your behalf - seriously, if you are a complete pacifist, living in any nation with a police force that will protect you using force is hypocrisy - go live in the wilderness, advertise that you will not accept police assistance. We'll see how long you last).

Alduin Silas

Aug 3, 2011
At the time of the Second World War, this man saw the German SMG's and decided that the single shot rifles that the Soviet Union was using were not up to the job. In doing so, he created a weapon that was incredibly simple and good at what it does that seventy years on, many militant groups still use it. And let's be honest here, if one countries inventions were limited to that country only, we'd be in a lot less advanced state than we currently occupy, so it was inevitable the AK's would fall into the hands of people around the globe.

Mikhail, rest in peace.