Miku Hatsune Makes Her Western Console Debut

Oct 2, 2012
SomeLameStuff said:
major_chaos said:
To my surprise that trailer actually makes the game look really brutally difficult. On the other hand, the music is so damn catchy I kinda want to play it anyway.
Oh trust me, the game IS brutally difficult.

At least it's easier than the first game... you could hit more than 80% of the notes and STILL fail the song.
That looked pretty fun. I think I might just pick the game up :D

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
DrRockor said:
why is the European release a week after the US one? Are they sending over a master copy on a ship or something?
Oh no master copies here, the EU is only getting a digital release, so I hope you still got some gigabytes left on your PS3 for this one.

RandV80 said:
RPG's.

Is this actually what Miku does? I always assumed the vocals were dubbed over by a live singer...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocaloid And this is what Miku and the other Vocaloids do, put a vocalist in the hands of ordinary consumers, which is the impressive thing, all the songs featured in the game are fan made, it's basically all user generated content. So I think that's where the fandom lies, knowing that all the songs are by fans, for fans. And that without them this game wouldn't ever have even existed.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Got to play this at Comic Con for a few hours, it's seriously fun. Soon as I save up enough for a PS3, this is definitely top of the list of games I'm getting.

...okay, second in the list behind Arcana Heart 3, but still.

major_chaos said:
To my surprise that trailer actually makes the game look really brutally difficult. On the other hand, the music is so damn catchy I kinda want to play it anyway.
It is pretty difficult. Even the lower-difficulty songs give one's peripheral vision a workout, since there's a lot of stuff to pay attention to.

And yes, the music is absolutely worth it.

Uzza

Mar 20, 2009
kenu12345 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Vocaloid has always baffled me. Then again, so has a lot of Japan.
You are not the only one man. Sure its impressive I guess, but they don't really sing THAT good. That and the uncanny valley is strong with them in concert. Idk maybe I'm just one of those old farts that likes to hear the emotion in people's voices
Vocaloids can sound amazing if you tune them correctly, though it does require a lot of practice and knowledge about the human voice.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Personally, I've never gotten into the Vocaloid craze, buuut I do see the appeal, and Miku's voice is oddly catchy despite its... oddity. Plus, she's kinda cute.

I don't see myself rushing to pick this up, but it sounds like there's a lot of people that are excited about this game. Besides, we could use something that doesn't involve a gun for once.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
WARNING: If you enjoy rhythm games and cute songs, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE DEMO FOR THIS GAME. YOU WILL BUY IT IMMEDIATELY.

All it took was figuring out the controls and playing through the song Tengaku for me to order a copy from Amazon. Now I can't wait to get it! Here's hoping they release it on the Vita as well!

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Uzza said:
kenu12345 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Vocaloid has always baffled me. Then again, so has a lot of Japan.
You are not the only one man. Sure its impressive I guess, but they don't really sing THAT good. That and the uncanny valley is strong with them in concert. Idk maybe I'm just one of those old farts that likes to hear the emotion in people's voices
Vocaloids can sound amazing if you tune them correctly, though it does require a lot of practice and knowledge about the human voice.

Yeah but that usually requires songs made specifically for them doesnt it? And often times that type of music just isnt for me

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Game looks pretty solid, hope it sells well so we can see more. I don't has a PS3 but will be getting a PS4 so hopefully it gets some vocaloid games too. I like how together the game looks, most music games I've tried tend to be a bit lacking or awkward.

On a side note if anyone knows of an amazing rhythm game please feel free to tell me about it :)

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
kenu12345 said:
Yeah but that usually requires songs made specifically for them doesnt it? And often times that type of music just isnt for me
Eh, I've heard Vocaloid songs in genres like metal, (Japanese) folk rock, jazz, big band, and various other genres besides the usual sugary sweet happy J-pop stuff.

RevRaptor said:
Game looks pretty solid, hope it sells well so we can see more. I don't has a PS3 but will be getting a PS4 so hopefully it gets some vocaloid games too. I like how together the game looks, most music games I've tried tend to be a bit lacking or awkward.

On a side note if anyone knows of an amazing rhythm game please feel free to tell me about it :)
If you still have a DS or 3DS laying around, you could always get Elite Beat Agents or its wacky Japanese predecessors, Tatakae! Ouendan! 1 & 2 (providing you've a DS Lite or older, seeing how the 3DS is region locked), but gameplay wise they're the key inspiration for the Miku games as they basically adapted the Ouendan/EBA gameplay to work without a touchscreen... only to then make touch controls a side feature in the Vita game.

Uzza

Mar 20, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
kenu12345 said:
Eh, I've heard Vocaloid songs in genres like metal, (Japanese) folk rock, jazz, big band, and various other genres besides the usual sugary sweet happy J-pop stuff.
The thing to remember about Vocaloid is that it is only a synthesizer for producing vocals. What those vocals are used for is entirely up to the user. There are many tens of thousands (40k-50k maybe) of original songs created using vocaloids, in all possible genres. The only limit is your imagination and your tuning skills.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Pedro The Hutt said:
kenu12345 said:

RevRaptor said:

If you still have a DS or 3DS laying around, you could always get Elite Beat Agents or its wacky Japanese predecessors, Tatakae! Ouendan! 1 & 2 (providing you've a DS Lite or older, seeing how the 3DS is region locked), but gameplay wise they're the key inspiration for the Miku games as they basically adapted the Ouendan/EBA gameplay to work without a touchscreen... only to then make touch controls a side feature in the Vita game.
Like I said those songs probably had the vocaloids in mind in someone dreamed up the lyrics