Miles Morales, Spider-Girl, Spider-Ham & More in Ultimate Spider-Man Season 3

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Despite Miguel O'Hara being my favorite Spider-man, not having Mayday Parker really rubs the salt in the actual Spider-Girl fans' wounds (as if her comic getting cancelled and her universe negated by One More Day didn't help matters already).

Not a fan of Ultimate Spider-man either, from the cutaway humor to the characterization to... wait, who's that annoying kid calling himself Nova? That's not Richard Rider!

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
That orange guy doesn't look like Miles... That looks like...
Oh, Agent Venom... What did they do to you?

Apr 17, 2009
SilverBullets000 said:
Wait, is Miles the one in the black costume? The one that has normal pants and friggin' combat boots? What happened to that awesome black and red costume he had? I don't read the comics, but that suit was cool. Why would they replace it with that?
Actually thats Spider-Man Noir. Don't think Miles is actually on that poster. Spidey 2099, Spider-Ham and Spider-Girl (damn you for not making her 'Mayday' Parker, Disney!) speak for themselves. No idea who the one in the bottom right is supposed to be. I thought at first maybe the manga-verse Spidey but isn't he, like, twelve or something? And it looks like he's got armour on...No, I got nothing. Unless he really is supposed to be Agent Venom like Delock suggested

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Nyeh. I'm mixed on this one. I openly admit I give Ultimate a lot of shit for essentially not being Spectacular.
I know that's not fair, it should be judged on what it is and not what it isn't.

I'm hoping that this new arc will give Ultimate a chance to test the waters for some different tones and styles instead of the ever so slightly too cartoony thing they've been leaning on for the past few seasons. I'm also curious to see exactly how obscure they get with the alternate Spideys.

I doubt we'll see Spider-Boy but it would be fun to see if The Webslinger, Spider Clan Ninja, Pavitr Prabhakar or Peter Parquagh make their respective appearances.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
SilverBullets000 said:
Wait, is Miles the one in the black costume? The one that has normal pants and friggin' combat boots? What happened to that awesome black and red costume he had? I don't read the comics, but that suit was cool. Why would they replace it with that?
Actually thats Spider-Man Noir. Don't think Miles is actually on that poster. Spidey 2099, Spider-Ham and Spider-Girl (damn you for not making her 'Mayday' Parker, Disney!) speak for themselves. No idea who the one in the bottom right is supposed to be. I thought at first maybe the manga-verse Spidey but isn't he, like, twelve or something? And it looks like he's got armour on...No, I got nothing. Unless he really is supposed to be Agent Venom like Delock suggested
They confirmed awhile back that Agent Venom was going to show up and that looks like an orange version of his armor, so unfortunately I'm fairly sure that my guess is right here.
Maybe it's to set him apart from Noir and perhaps Miles, but seriously? Orange?
I know they weren't going to have him totting guns, age up Flash and maim him to get the story right (which kinda removes the whole alcoholism metaphor of his character with the "it numbs the pain and makes you feel invincible but you can easily become a monster" thing, but I was accepting that leaving the character when he was announced for a kids show), but seriously?

Also Captcha: Three Strikes. You're damn right. Agent Venom just struck out for me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Ugh. I wish I could be happier about this, but I just don't like Ulimate Spider-man. Maybe it's all the cutaway jokes, but I think there's a limit to random humor, even when it comes to Peter Parker.
Yeah, USM isn't my cup of tea. Too much Family Guy in it.

The crossover could be interesting, but my expectations are low based on...Well, Ultimate Spider-Man.

Also, some of these concepts seem weird for a kids' show. A Gender-bending Spider-Man? A Spider-Man who's known for clawing and biting his enemies?

SilverBullets000 said:
Wait, is Miles the one in the black costume? The one that has normal pants and friggin' combat boots? What happened to that awesome black and red costume he had?
That's Spider-Man from the Noir universe. He also showed up in Shattered Dimensions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Diddy_Mao said:
Nyeh. I'm mixed on this one. I openly admit I give Ultimate a lot of shit for essentially not being Spectacular.
I know that's not fair, it should be judged on what it is and not what it isn't.
Nah, it's more than fair. >.>

Nah, even judging it on its own merits, USM is mostly just "okay." I mean, I do think Spectacular Spider-Man was the Superior Spider-Man, but I don't think I'd love Ultimate Spider-Man any more if it didn't exist.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This sounds like a cool idea. I remember when they did something like this way back in the 90's era cartoon, and it turned out one of the Spider-Mans was just an actor.

I would like to watch this series, but it's never on Disney XD whenever I'm home, and I'm too lazy to bother looking for it elsewhere. Like many others here though, I would prefer if Spectacular Spider-Man came back.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
GamerMage said:
DrunkenElfMage said:
This would be exciting if it were anything besides Ultimate Spiderman. That cartoon made Spiderman the most annoying asshole that I have ever seen in a superhero cartoon and the idea of watching a cartoon series where there will suddenly be ten more clones of him makes me dread it even more.

Worst of all, they will probably change Mile's backstory to make it kid friendly and in a terrible way. The TV series is incapable of talking about anything serious for more than ten seconds before WACKY COMMENTARY rears its ugly face and ruins any chance of an emotional moment.

... I irrationally hate this children's cartoon to a ridiculous degree.
Well, person with a cool Username, tell me more about both this cartoon (As I don't watch it, and if you think I should) and why you hate it so much.
Asking me to describe exactly why I hate that cartoon might be biting off a little more than you can chew. I hate that cartoon with the same amount of vitriol as MovieBob hates the Amazing Spiderman movies.

The show writes Spiderman wrong. They write him like Ferris Bueller combined with Deadpool. He is literally happy ALL THE DAMN TIME. Anyone who has ever read any kind of Spiderman comic knows that Peter Parker barely has his life together because being a superhero takes so much of his time. He is lucky if he ever gets to go on a date without showing up late. But the Spiderman in this series is a smarmy bastard who acts like his entire life is just a wacky adventure. One fucking episode, his first line is "Hi, I'm Spiderman and its fantastic being me!" I nearly stopped watching right then and there.

You know how in comic books the main character narrates a situation to catch the reader up to speed? The shows creators tried to recreate that feeling by having Spiderman narrate Ferris Bueler style, by pausing the scene and turning to the camera. These cutaways are just like Family Guy jokes, but without good writing or funny one liners and I say that as someone who has grown to hate Family Guy. They can happen at any time, even when the moment is supposed to be serious or dramatic. They make Peter Parker seem like an ADD riddled psychopath. Even when people he cares about are in danger he still has those fucking cutaways. Spiderman might joke around out loud when something like that is going down in comic books, but inside his brain he is usually freaking out. Not the "Ultimate" Spiderman; he never fucking stops joking.

I could forgive any of that if the jokes were funny, but I watched four episodes, and I didn't even chuckle.

The shows has bad toy integration into the plot. I realize these shows are supposed to sell toys, but the way they insert them is lame. For example, the first episode, Shield gives Spiderman improved web launchers. Never mind the obvious plothole of HOW THE HELL DOES SHIELD KNOW HOW TO MAKE WEB LAUNCHERS; the real problem is that the only thing that the did was shoot webbing farther than Spiderman's normal webshooters. THis is stupid because Spiderman's webshooters have always been ill defined; they basically do anything that the plot tells them too. SO what the episode does is make up a problem with the webshooters that never existed before, than makes up a lame way to fix said problem. The worst part is is that the webshooters turn invisible, so YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL HE IS WEARING THEM.

Uncle Ben's final message to Pete? Trotted out like some kind of Deus Ex Machina, as some kind of radically brilliant inspirational philosophy that stops every one in its track the moment it is said. Fuck, one time he even says it during a cutaway joke battle with Deadpool and CONVINCES HIM TO STOP KILLING PEOPLE.

The worst part is is that other parts of the show are ACTUALLY GOOD. It has a decent amount of fanservice, you'll see a great variety of other Marvel characters and although their backstories are rewritten in order to make them all involved with Shield, their personalities and powers usually remain intact. Hell, the Deadpool episode borders on watchable, mainly because Spiderman is FORCED to play straight man because Deadpool keeps interrupting his cutaways.

But Spiderman is such an annoying asshole that he ruins any enjoyment I get seeing these characters. At one point a group of badguys invade his school and he introduces them to the camera. One of them is an angry Amazonianesque Space Warrior who constantly call Spiderman by a specific name, implying a back story. When Spiderman introduces her he goes, "And this is (name I can't remember), she is the queen of a space warrior tribe some where, yadda yadda yadda, its a long backstory you don't wanna hear it." Yes, I do Spiderman, because that backstory is far more interesting than any of the FUCKING JOKES coming out of your mouth.

... sorry I blacked out for a moment and suddenly I had written another rant about why Ultimate Spiderman sucks. Some one must have asked me why I think the show wasn't very good. I tend to get into an internet rage when that happens.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
GamerMage said:
DrunkenElfMage said:
This would be exciting if it were anything besides Ultimate Spiderman. That cartoon made Spiderman the most annoying asshole that I have ever seen in a superhero cartoon and the idea of watching a cartoon series where there will suddenly be ten more clones of him makes me dread it even more.

Worst of all, they will probably change Mile's backstory to make it kid friendly and in a terrible way. The TV series is incapable of talking about anything serious for more than ten seconds before WACKY COMMENTARY rears its ugly face and ruins any chance of an emotional moment.

... I irrationally hate this children's cartoon to a ridiculous degree.
Well, person with a cool Username, tell me more about both this cartoon (As I don't watch it, and if you think I should) and why you hate it so much.
Also my compliments on such an excellent username yourself. I hope my rant didn't scare you off.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Trishbot said:
Despite Miguel O'Hara being my favorite Spider-man, not having Mayday Parker really rubs the salt in the actual Spider-Girl fans' wounds (as if her comic getting cancelled and her universe negated by One More Day didn't help matters already).

Not a fan of Ultimate Spider-man either, from the cutaway humor to the characterization to... wait, who's that annoying kid calling himself Nova? That's not Richard Rider!
They re-did Nova a while back after killing off most of the Nova Corps. and then bringing them back. The new one is Sam Alexander (in the comics) and he's hated, being a bit too young, and not making much sense. His big claim to fame was coming back to earth to warn of approaching catastrophe. The basic consensus is that Sam Alexander can pretty much go die in a fire, but not before he suffers for a while from testicular cancer.

That said Nova is something Marvel seems convinced will be a big success and apparently they have been sitting on the rights, getting ready to parlay them into something big. Given that Nova arguably covers the same ground as both Green Lantern (DC) and Spider Man I see the potential here, especially seeing as the character is unknown enough for them to have a lot of freedom with the character especially after having killed off/erased the version of the character that made it a cult classic.

I play gazillion's "Marvel Heroes" game on and off, and as a result I listen to a lot of comics chatter, and you can also pick up some interesting business information by looking at what Gazillion is up to and what goes on around the characters they put into the game. Nova for example was a character slated for initial release in the game, but he's so far been a no-show despite having moved on to their second batch of characters. Apparently this is because while they have the rights to do it, Marvel has been keeping things tied up, and allegedly isn't especially happy that Gazillion signed the rights even for a game like this after the fact. Apparently he was one of the more expensive characters to get permission to make/sell, and also since everyone hates Sam Alexander and wants Richard Rider it raises some interesting questions, about whether or not some of the conflict might be revolving around the possible release of a Nova: Enhanced costume right off the bat to give people the character they might actually want to pay to play (which would also make him one of the most expensive characters in the game).

That said I have to say that this whole news about Spider-Man is eye-rolling, but then again the whole "Ultimate Spider Man" thing was horrible (I couldn't get into watching it) so it seems like it's par for the course. To be honest I'd rather see Mayday Parker remain "dead" than have her dragged through the mud knowing what this show would do to her.

As far as Milo Morales goes, while a lot of people like him for political/social reasons, he's not actually a well liked character, he pretty much stands out just because he's a ethnic swap using a famous hero's name. He sells decently because people think the oddity will make him collectible, and one of the big jokes is that he's the best thing going on in "The Ultimate Universe"... and yet nobody reads his comics since they all go into shoeboxes. As a general rule it seems the majority of fairly serious comics fans don't hate him, but pretty much feel that it's a tasteless stunt, and that if Marvel wants more minority super heroes in the media it needs to start using the good ones it has. As some people have pointed out we get Milo Morales, and Heimdall gets turned black, both stunts, yet when they actually make a movie where they can bring one of the cooler black heroes to the forefront, in the storyline that created him, they decide to do very little with him. I'm of course talking about Bishop in the last X-men movie. I mean seriously, the whole point of the character is that he's sent back in time by a Native American super-genius mutant inventor, they cast a big name to play him, but then re-do the story so they can send Wolverine back in time (or his mind rather) and replace Forge with Kitty Pryde in an equally bit role for... no good reason since her having a time projection power
was never even explained.... at any rate, since they are going multiversal with the new story arc, it makes sense they would use Milo (I mean really, they seem to be pushing here as it is) especially seeing as he's current and in publication.... and personally I doubt many care what they do to him in this show. I'd rather see him than the real Spider-Girl, since it means Mayday can someday be resurrected with dignity. :)

Personally I think for Ultimate Spider-Man they need to introduce some more "cool" heroes like Rocket Racer, Forbush Man (winner of "The Amazing No Power" , Captain Ultra, The Impossible Man (old Fantastic Four), Slapstick, Frog Boy (NOT to be confused with The Toad), and others as regular heroes in the series. They will fit right in with Milo and Sam... Indeed Sam and Rocket Racer can have a contest to see who sucks more. Frog Boy (old joke applicant to be Spidey's partner if I remember) can eventually return home with Milo to improve his cool, Captain Ultra can faint every time kid-Iron Fist lights up his hand, and Slapstick and Impossible Man can both be seen walking off the show because "this is just too silly, even for us...".... as for Forbush Man, well he's a talented Janitor (being based on the actual Janitor in the Marvel offices apparently).... he'll probably be the most useful guy of the bunch... and for the final episode of the new season he can become "Dark Forbush Man" and WTFPWN everyone, because really... Dark Forbush Man was awesome enough to not be a daydream. :)

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I truly hate Ultimate Spider-Man as well as the universe tie-in shows like Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH. They are poorly written, mentally insulting, and a waste of potential and talent like Paul Dini. I almost want to call these shows the Michael Bay Transformers movies of animated shows; a piss-poor byproduct of total hacks that have little to no respect for its audience and the source material. I'd go into rant about the show's flaws, DrunkenElfMage covered that topic perfectly in his comment post.

What really pisses me off is that their version of Spider-Girl is going to be a gender-swap idea rather than the actual May "Mayday" Parker version of Spider-Girl. For those of you that are wondering who or what is May Parker, allow me to elaborate.

During the Clone Saga, Peter Parker and Mary-Jane had a child but believed it died during the birthing process. But it was a sinister plot by Norman Osborn to take their child away from them and be raised elsewhere. Sadly, that storyline never went anywhere and Marvel swept it under the rug over the pathetic notion of keeping these characters forever young. However, writer Tom Defalco and artist Ron Frenz wanted to give this concept a second chance in the pages of What If(vol. 2) #105. The story took place in an alternate reality where May Parker survived the Clone Saga and was raised by her parents MJ and Peter; now long retired as Spider-Man due to the loss of his leg after his final battle with the Green Goblin. May Parker genetically inherited her father's spider-powers and abilities (along with new powers that would come into play much later in her life) and soon donned the Spider-Man costume Ben Reilly (aka the Peter Parker clone aka the Scarlet Spider during the Clone Saga) to save her family from the latest Green Goblin, Normie Osborn (son of the second Green Goblin Harry Osborn). The issue gained plenty of interest to spawn the MC2 universe line; an alternate timeline where the next generation of Marvel's greatest heroes take up the mantles. Along with a solo series for Spider-Girl, two other titles were published; A-Next, a new Avengers team made up of the sons and daughters of past heroes, and J2, the son of the reformed Juggernaught who gained his powers and abilities. While A-Next and J2 never lasted beyond 12 issues, Spider-Girl became the breakout hit. Although she would face numerous cancelations, her fan base was extremely loyal and kept the series going for 100 issues. This was a rare feat to see for a Marvel-based female character solo title. She would eventually go on into a Spider-Man anthology book along with a new series called Amazing Spider-Girl which lasted only 30 issues.

One of the many things that made May Parker so endearing was that her motives to become Spider-Girl were not based on tragic circumstances like her father. She didn't lose a loved one to spur her into becoming Spider-Girl, she became Spider-Girl because she was raised by her parents to honor the Parker creed (With great power, comes great responsibility) by doing the right thing. While her parents were reluctant at first to have her take up the dangerous life of a super heroine, they accepted her choice and her father would train her to become a better crime fighter.

And that is what gets me upset about this news. Marvel had a chance to bring this character back into the spotlight for a new generation of readers and completely botched it by going with a generic gender-swap concept.

But, give the fact that this show sucks on multiple levels, perhaps its best the real Spider-Girl doesn't take part of the epic failure that isUltimate Spider-Man.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
My thought process:

"This seems interesting, but does it have Miguel O'Hara in it- OHMYGODIWANTTHISNOW"

I think I'm the only person on this planet who liked both Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2099.