Milky Way "Ringing Like A Bell" From 100 Million Year-Old Collision

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Milky Way "Ringing Like A Bell" From 100 Million Year-Old Collision

An unidentified object has been sending ripples through the stars.

Armed with ever-developing technology in a massive galaxy, it's no surprise that we're always discovering new tales from the history of our little corner of the universe. With that in mind, here's one such story, as discovered recently by a group of scientists at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) in Batavia, Illinois, who have just found evidence of what they say could be a massive collision that occured in our galaxy around 100 million years ago. The findings were published in Astrophysical Journal Letters.

The astronomers in question say the evidence of this collision lies in the odd way stars are distributed north and south of the galaxy's midplane. The arrangement of stars in this area suggests to them that something seriously large or dense - a satellite galaxy, for instance, or a clump of dark matter - plowed through this region of space within the last 100 million years, leaving the perturbed stars as evidence of its passing.

"Our part of the Milky Way is ringing like a bell," said Fermilab's Brian Yanny in a statement. "But we have not been able to identify the celestial object that passed through the Milky Way [and set this off]. It could have been one of the small satellite galaxies that move around the center of our galaxy, or an invisible structure such as a dark matter halo."

"We clearly observe unexpected differences in the Milky Way's stellar distribution above and below the galaxy's midplane that have the appearance of a vertical wave - something that nobody has seen before," added Professor Larry Widrow of Queen's University in Canada, commenting on the findings.

Adding to the confusion, Susan Gardner of the University of Kentucky isn't even sure this celestial incursion has stopped. "The perturbation need not have been a single isolated event in the past, and it may even be ongoing," she said. "Additional observations may well clarify its origin."

It's hard not to wonder what this pushy celestial object will turn out to be; none of the options presented by the astronomers sound uninteresting. Normally I'd be the first to suggest aliens, but this seems a little heavy duty (unless we're talking Vogons, who seem like they could invest this kind of time in galactic rearrangement). But even if it turns out not to be aliens, freewheelin' clumps of dark matter in the midplane will do just fine.

Source: Space.com [http://www.space.com/16488-milky-way-galaxy-wave-collision.html]

Image: NASA [http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0801/16500feetmilkywaykc2_brunier.jpg]

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Clearly the neutrinos are mutating.
In that case, they should create a GUI interface using visual basic to track this celestial incursion's IP address.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
Interesting if not exactly surprising. We knew galaxies collide and one with as much mass as the Milky Way is in the process of consuming the Magellanic Clouds (Very slowly).

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
saintdane05 said:
Evil Smurf said:
Nope, it is Soundwave the transformer. We are all saved.
But he's a Decepticon! Unless we're talking Shattered Glass here...
Or maybe I don't know my transformers universe very well D:

Sep 14, 2009
once again, I feel very very small after reading an article like this.

Still, awesome to read about, can't wait to hear what they find out about it

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
Someone must have pissed off the U/Free so they're moving things around to prove a point.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
saintdane05 said:
Evil Smurf said:
Nope, it is Soundwave the transformer. We are all saved.
But he's a Decepticon! Unless we're talking Shattered Glass here...
Dude he's an Evil Smurf and I'm affably evil. We welcome our new Transforming Boombox Overlord.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
TheNaut131 said:
Matthew94 said:
In that case, they should create a GUI interface using visual basic to track this celestial incursion's IP address.
I call them up and we'll type on my single keyboard together.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Saulkar said:
TheNaut131 said:
Matthew94 said:
I'll call them up and we'll type on my single keyboard together.