Mind-Boggling Lego Contraption Swaps 360 Discs By Remote

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
For me this would be very impractical because I keep my games on a shelf, in order so I never need to shearch the discs up and the change goes a lot faster.
My friend on the other hand, has games all over the house, in wrong boxes (not same game as shown on picture kinda stuff) so fro him to change/find a game might take longer than this. So for him just the carousel with the discs alone might be a good option.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The effort put into this and the exchange time it offers has a voice in my head telling me that it is a stupid endeavor...

And yet...

I want one.

God I love LEGO.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While that is handy and impressive but I know I would never used it (if I owned a 360). It isn't not wanting to be lazy but due to the fact my room can get dusty very quickly!

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Guess we finally found the one plus to console gaming.

*ducks for cover*

In all seriousness, it is pretty awesome, and makes all my lego creations look like crap pressed randomly on each other.
Oh who am i kidding, my creations WERE crap randomly pressed on each other.

Now lets wait for the 150+ shelve edition, because i doubt most people here have 32 or less games.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
In case you're interested in other pics of that thing:
http://www.palikkatakomo.org/forum/read.php?5,24555

It's all in Finnish, though.
They are currently working on a PS3 version.

Andy Chalk said:
But the engineering degree thing is probably fairly accurate.
Not exactly, considering it was built by two teenagers...

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
An issue... How do you get to the USBs?
Another... If you used a wired controller, or have a charger plugged in, and you accidentally kick the wire and it moves the Xbox slightly it would throw everything off.
Also, cost... time... dust on the discs... It would be a pain to reset all those discs it you accidentally knocked it and they all fell out...

Nope, sorry.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
That's damn fine ... however I do have some (qualified) criticisms...

Mainly it seems to be very wasteful of space and of time (and bricks). If you want a conversation piece and something impressive to display, and you have room for it, then it's all good.

Otherwise, I can't help thinking something more akin to yer old 45rpm jukebox rack would be more practical. All the discs lined up in a single horizontal row, you only then need to locate by distance along the rack, and the disc is plucked from or dropped into a simple groove in an L-shaped holster. Separation distance just enough to get the gripping jaws in - or if you have a ton of actuators to spare, they can be almost touching, and the relevant disc is pushed proud of all the others by a small lever, easily grabbed without even having to dive into the stack.

Pretty sure I've seen actual commercial high-density disc changer systems that work on that principle. This looks more like a high-grade backup tape library robot system, but turned inside out... (normally the picker would be on the inside of a cylindrical chamber, surrounded by an endless wall of tape holsters, and a small stack of actual drives)

Still, if all the bricks you had were ones that allowed you to make this and not the other one... party on.

(Now, upgrade it - make one that accepts jewel and/or DVD cases, and can both open them and retrieve the disc from within, and also replace disc in case, then close and store said case... and can keep track of and deal with multi-disc games/cases...)

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Longstreet said:
Guess we finally found the one plus to console gaming.

*ducks for cover*
Computers generally still have DVD drives in them... though increasingly few games come on physical media, you can still get it, and there's enough existing titles that were sold that way.

It'd be a cool, if shockingly unneccessary hack for, say, a classic gaming system. I've got one in my lounge for which I'm currently trying to find a sub-520mb hard disk to upgrade it (from 160; it has a pretty ancient, limited BIOS), as doing full installs of all the games I'd like to play with it has left the drive really rather cramped, and there's plenty more left that I didn't have space for... if I could get away with minimum installs instead (it has an 8x CD drive, which is enough for such games) then the need for a new disc would go away (pulling the games off the shelf and swapping them in IS something of a pain when your PC lives in the lounge rather than on a desk). Just means I'd have to build one of these carousels, and try to find room for it.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
What's next, K'nex Kinect?

Terrible jokes aside, this was pretty neat. I couldn't help but notice that the entire bottom row was comprised of burned discs, so I'm assuming that this is also set up to be his own little media center for more than just games.

Sep 14, 2009
kailus13 said:
Proverbial Jon said:
gmaverick019 said:
oh jeez in b4 the lego nazi who has to correct everyone on their usage of the word "lego" being plural *sigh*
That would be me! The constant use of "Legos" in reference to multiple Lego bricks drives me insane. However I stopped being "that person" a long time ago; it's a losing battle my friend.

OT: This contraption would never work with my Xbox 360. The tray opens on my console once for every 10 pushes of the button; it's really temperamental. There'd be discs flying everywhere with no place to go!
Sorry dude, legos is just a fun word to say. Can't blame you for what you find annoying though. Speaking of which...
gmaverick019 said:
Whoever made that gif should have flipped the sunglasses horizontally so the temple went to the right side of his head. Not important, just slightly annoying.
Agreed, you would think if the person was smart enough to make the gif, they could have just mirrored it over, but i suppose causing an annoyance was only complimentary to the use of the word "legos" :)