Mind-Controlling Parasites and The Last of Us

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I did very much appreciate how The Last of Us made the "zombie" idea a realistic, organic type of thing that seemed plausible. I think it was a strong point - especially considering the length of the situation. I am always a little skeptical of the whole "created virus" zombie issue going on for more than a decade or two - if we made it in a lab somewhere there ought to be a way to make a vaccine. I know that's not entirely true, and usually games or movies "solve" that by wiping out all the scientists and labs that could be working on that, but that always seems like a stretch too (that all of them would be wiped out, those places are... pretty secure and pretty high priority in such a situation). It being something of nature in The Last of Us resonated with me on a much more scary and realistic level.

I am not, however, wholly impressed with all of the game as it seems others tend to be. Other aspects of the writing and situation creations lacked the same realism in my opinion
(like, cannibals living out in the abundance of woodlands - they couldn't go ice fishing regularly? they couldn't hunt the deer, the squirrels, the raccoons, etc. etc.? I didn't see a compelling reason to go straight for the hugely taboo eat other people route in that setting, at all.)

But as far as the way they did the zombies - it was both creative and realistic and I really appreciated the thought that went into it. This article was a good explanation I could point to as far as why I feel that way if I talk about it to someone who hasn't played the game - or doesn't play games.