Minecraft. A 10minute talk.

mayhar

Jul 15, 2009
Ok so....

I have to do this talk for 10minutes, on anything at all, it just has to go for 10minutes.

I was looking for ideas (naming all 600 odd pokemon was one idea :p) and my friend dared me to talk about minecraft for 10mins.

So basically, I need ideas for talking material, props, etc etc, we can include other medias, ie the "unofficial" gameplay trailer and such in the talk....

So basically.yea...........ideas......

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
make a calculation about how much copies have been sold and how much money the creator has earned by doing that

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Talk about simplicity in game design and how minecraft's ability to make creative projects easy to create (compared to painting a picture that takes years of practice until someone can create something of notice) appeals to people. You could also link that last point to the "instant rewards" mentality of generation y.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Talk about the dev Notch (probably not much info, but there should be a bit), the fact that although it's an 'indie' game (explain the meaning of indie game, most people will have NO idea) it's more popular than some AAA titles (explain that too, give examples) and has made insane amounts of money (Come on, $350000 a WEEK?! That's damn good).

Explain the aspects of the game (biomes, the new Slip thingy, mining, the enemies like Ghasts, the zombie pigs and the like) and you should have about 10 minutes. Then show stuff like the unofficial trailer, some really cool things like the Rapture the Penny Arcade people made, Columbia from Bioshock Infinite, and that should be over 10 minutes.

And all from someone that's NEVER PLAYED MINECRAFT.
That's right, not one minute of this game has been played by me, AT ALL.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Just talk about different recipes.

Unless you want to have an interesting talk.

Then discuss the appeal of it.

Explain that it appeals to our desire to be creative etc and explain why it's so unheard of in mainstream games (Other than rollercoaster tycoon).

Go on to consider the possible impacts it could have on the gaming industry.

The way I understand your OP, you're looking at doing an Extra Credits on "Why is Minecraft so awesome/addictive"

Good Luck.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Talk about TNT.

..I could talk about TNT for 10 minutes.

For props....TNT :D

[small]wait they wont allow that will they...crap[/small]

Deathkingo

Aug 10, 2009
Oooh! Ooooh! Talk about how minecraft can be seen as a metaphor for Man's industrial nature!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Bring a Creeper to class. Not a prop, but a living, breathing Creeper. And name him Asplode McGunpowders. =D

Alternatively, why not talk about how it pretty much throws conventional video game design techniques--things like story and goals--in favor of design elements such as procedurally generated, persistent worlds, focus on exploration and experimentation, and focus on a true creative sandbox. Essentially, talk about it as a player-driven game, rather than as a character-driven game that every other developer seems to want to give to us.