Minecraft Animates Its World

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
The way they demoed it is terrible, but this is the same thing that a few mods have added a while back to Minecraft. Still, kinda burnt out on Minecraft, and have been for ages. Guess its nice for this to exist for those who CBF dropping a file or two into their AppData folder.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
I hope its one of those options you can turn off or its not as quick as it was in the video, or I'll have to stop playing minecraft before I get motion sickness.

Looks cool though.
this. if its anything like in this video posted ill be turning that off or quitting minecraft. that is jut awful.

SoulSalmon said:
I'm getting the impression from this thread that some people think what's in the video are gonna be default texture animations...

They've merely added more customization to texture packs, the video was an example of one of the more extreme things you can do.
ah, well that makes much more sense now.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Am I the only person who realized the video linked had NOTHING to do with the article?

That said, animated textures have been around for years. Optifine and numerous other mods that allow you to use high resolution texturepacks all add this feature to the game. My current setup even has animated textures on the mobs! (they have blinking eyes and stuff)

As far as I am concerned the only good that can come of this is better optimization (perhaps?) from the separating of texture files.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
Legion said:
Yay, more unnecessary things while still not adding ridiculously simple and useful ideas like half-blocks and stairs for all of the basic block types such as glass, and obsidian.

Even mods have these and they work perfectly.
i totally agree with you. there are so many cool things that they might add, but they always focus on bullshit.

i mean, modders did everything by now, working NPCs(millenaire), vehicles, new ores, half- and quarter-blocks, interesting and challenging mobs etc.
what did mojang add?

carrots and potatos.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Bigsmith said:
Out of everything they could have made, they make this. THIS! Seriously Mojang.
What? This is bloody fantastic.

Now we can actually have in-game-supported moving grass, water, lava and redstone! This is AWESOME!
That's all well and good, but now take a minute to think about what else they could have done with their time.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Tom_green_day said:
That video is so trippy
But apart from that, really? My computer can barely handle Mincraft as it is, I really don't need this to come and screw things up.
Its just a fragment of the texture updates. They completely reworked how textures and rendering works to boost FPS and make it easier to add new blocks and textures in future as well as adding more flexibility to custom texture packs.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Bigsmith said:
lacktheknack said:
Bigsmith said:
Out of everything they could have made, they make this. THIS! Seriously Mojang.
What? This is bloody fantastic.

Now we can actually have in-game-supported moving grass, water, lava and redstone! This is AWESOME!
That's all well and good, but now take a minute to think about what else they could have done with their time.
They could have researched a cure for cancer.

(No, seriously. What's wrong with block animation?)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
I hope its one of those options you can turn off or its not as quick as it was in the video, or I'll have to stop playing minecraft before I get motion sickness.

Looks cool though.
Most of the animation shown in that video makes no sense whatsoever from any artistic or gameplay perspective.
That basically implies it's being done just to show that it's possible. (in other words, it's purely to demonstrate technical abilities of the engine.)

There's no way anyone with even a modicum of sanity would animate stuff like ground, rock or grass textures in that way except as some kind of joke.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
this. if its anything like in this video posted ill be turning that off or quitting minecraft. that is jut awful.
I love how you don't even read anything before judging it and saying you'll quit Minecraft, I really do.

God. what is with people and whining about every little thing?[/quote]
Im glad your smooth criminal mind gets enjoyment from reading my posts.

Its our nature to throw a fit whenever we dont like something. since we cant go out and spear a mammoth anymore, we whine on forums.

Memor-X

Oct 3, 2010
i think we'll more than likely see this used with water and lava, you could see how smooth the animation was on the blocks in comparison to the water and lava flowing, we'll probably also see it with Redstone and stuff that use redstone to be powers (like with the gold mine tracks, when they are on we see them move)

if textures are applied from individual files, we may also see textures ontop of textures, for instance, when it rains, we may see water running off the side of blocks that are exposed to the rain