Minecraft Crafts Built-In Twitch Streaming

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Minecraft Crafts Built-In Twitch Streaming

Twitch continues its takeover of the world, one block at a time.

About the only thing harder than explaining the appeal of Minecraft to non-gamers is explaining the appeal of watching people play Minecraft. It's little wonder that a game built around creativity has also spawned an entire subcategory of videos. While some simply record play sessions, others use it as the basis for [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwwl9jiJ1A4]elaborate music videos[/a]. Now, [a href=http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/2/5056646/minecraft-partners-with-twitch-for-built-in-streaming]Mojang is partnering with Twitch[/a] to build streaming right into Minecraft, so players can better broadcast their exploits to the world.

The new feature will be built right into the Mac and PC clients, allowing for seamless streaming. No date has been given for the integration, only that it's expected soon. Personally, I'd rather be required to craft a special "Twitch Camera" out of diamonds, netherrack, and iron, just to keep the immersion going, but I'm sure there will be a mod for that too.

This is only the latest step in Twitch's domination of the streaming scene. The service is a standard in gaming, especially in E-Sports titles like League of Legends and Starcraft 2. Even the upcoming Xbox One and Playstation 4 will have native support for Twitch. Just a few days ago, they took in [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128290-Twitch-Nets-20-Million-From-Take-Two-Other-Investors]$20 million dollars[/a] in investment, some from major game publishers. The future is here, and it will be livestreamed.

Source: [a href=http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/2/5056646/minecraft-partners-with-twitch-for-built-in-streaming]The Verge[/a]

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
From my experience in-game Twitch streaming options are incredibly unreliable, I even tried to stream Assassins Creed 3 yesterday for Extra Life through uPlay and it cut out about every 20 seconds, nowhere near as good as a premium service such as XSPLIT.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Laggyteabag said:
From my experience in-game Twitch streaming options are incredibly unreliable, I even tried to stream Assassins Creed 3 yesterday for Extra Life through uPlay and it cut out about every 20 seconds, nowhere near as good as a premium service such as XSPLIT.
I use OBS with Twitch and broadcast at 720p 60fps with almost no problems. I've used the Adobe app and Xsplit in the past and looked like crap. The best part is OBS is free. I just bought a professional mic, gets here on Tuesday! I hope the Xbox One twitch settings work as well.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I like the idea of built in Twitch streaming, but I feel like games still have to smooth out some of the integration.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Laggyteabag said:
The tech is in its infancy. In fact, it's still in the process of being born. Streaming isn't a new thing, sure, but there's a 'streaming boom' about to happen with the technology being simpler and more available to the layman. Stability is sketchy now, but expect it to improve in the future once they start working on perfecting the tech.
Of course, 3rd party stuff will always be king with the added flexibility, and I expect them to also become better as streaming becomes more mainstream.

Heh... Streaming becoming mainstream.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Path of Exile also uses built in Twitch streaming. It's a feature that will become more and more prevalent on PC games, until it's simply a standard tab in the options. Twitch isn't going anywhere, it's growing exponentially year on year. And personally, I love it. If I've got an hour to burn and nothing else to do, I can always find something to watch on Twitch - whether it's an old RPG I haven't thought about in a decade or a brand new, AAA game just released.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
IanDavis said:
Personally, I'd rather be required to craft a special "Twitch Camera" out of diamonds, netherrack, and iron, just to keep the immersion going, but I'm sure there will be a mod for that too.
Wut? Nah, a Minecraft camera would probably be seven iron around the edge, one button in the corner, and one redstone torch in the center. These recipes totally aren't random.

P.S. Thanks

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I don't get what is so fun on watching someone tromp around commenting in Minecraft?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ah, twitch is doing its thing again and makes my firehead twitch in anger. so i guess win for them.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Baldr said:
Laggyteabag said:
I use OBS with Twitch and broadcast at 720p 60fps with almost no problems. I've used the Adobe app and Xsplit in the past and looked like crap. The best part is OBS is free. I just bought a professional mic, gets here on Tuesday! I hope the Xbox One twitch settings work as well.
Most people who do streaming and youtube for living have OBS and split. Because they are better and different things. OBS is really good for not so well optimized, older games and some that do not know how to use your CPU properly. It is shining example of that in my opinion is Binding of Isaac. But games that have good optimization and works well with your hardware Xsplit takes the victory.

I myself prefer Xsplit at 1080p to 720p 33.3fps 2000kr and 250kb mono-audio 91khz. That is for all games I do.

The biggest issue with in-game broadcasters is that they gimp down the game's resources when they game renders frames to screen and broadcaster. Every experience I have had with them has been horrible.

It is better just get OBS or pay for Xsplit. 50$ for an year is not that bad for really good software that is getting updates constantly and has good forums/support.

But honestly I question the usefulness of this feature... What will this add? More streams with 2 viewers, host and the bot. And especially if kids start to do this they can easily break ToS of Twitch and get their channels removed.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
This is disturbing, Twitch is almost as dangerous as Bendak Starkiller, I don't want that hopped up freak in my minecraft...

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Wow, I'm glad they were working on this instead of fixing the game-breaking bugs and finishing up the biome code before launching!