Minecraft Dev Makes New Game, Minicraft, in 48 Hours

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Kwil said:
What's disappointing is simply that Notch is participating in the Ludum Dare competition now. With his level of fame and cult following, he's guaranteed the win. Hopefully the organizers will recognize this and push the second place game, whatever it is, equally as much.
Its kind of like the Prime Minister of the UK turning up to a local school debating team session, its a bit heavy handed. Also the fact that hes just taken an existing idea he already has and warped it is pretty rubbish.
I get the feeling that, no matter what the theme was, we would have seen a Minecraft clone. Hopefully "Scrolls" will break this I-can-only-minecraft image thats developing.

Movement_Machine

Oct 17, 2011
JesterRaiin said:
NightmareLuna said:
Notch completly stole Minecraft. What he did was built upon the single most liked experience from another game. He had just the good fortune to come up with it first. He is no god of games or whatever some are calling him... He just had a bit of luck.
Ah. Jealousy. Sweetest poison of all. ;]

Movement_Machine said:
What did he steal? o_O
Haven't you heard ? Notch, wearing full ninja costume, armed with katana and sh*t broke into main building of Blizzard, killed corporate fullborgs doing as many backflips as possible, and stole code that was supposed to be new engine for upcoming Duke Nukem Forever game. Then, posing as big breasted blonde stewardess he hijacked a plane full of Bethesda programmers, had them replace some textures in this code and finally sold it as "Minecraft".
Considering cries of butthurt haters that was the case, i am sure of it ! :)

OT : Funny, little game. As usual, it seems that good idea beats fancy graphics and effects. :)
Huh.. you don't say.....

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Movement_Machine said:
JesterRaiin said:
OT : Funny, little game. As usual, it seems that good idea beats fancy graphics and effects. :)
Huh.. you don't say.....
Yep, one hundred percent troo story. Just go ask some haters. According to some, Notch is devil himself, eats babies and enjoys torturing little fluffy, cute animals after his meals, sorry, bloody and perverted orgies his fanatical followers organize for their dark master.
No doubtly ! :D

Movement_Machine said:
therealjeffa said:
Movement_Machine said:
What did he steal? o_O
"Infiniminer", according to Wikipedia. http://thesiteformerlyknownas.zachtronicsindustries.com/?p=713
I can see the resemblance but infiniminer looks waaaaaay different. inspiration maybe, but i don't think he stole anything
Infidel ! Heretic ! Burn ! ;)
Don't you realize that you must hate Notch despite facts, logic and even despite Notch himself saying he was inspired by "Infiniminer" ? ;)

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
I know a guy who regularly does well in that competition, shows sped up clips of him making the thing on youtube, pretty interesting.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
And this is only going to further the idea that notch is a one trick pony.

though really... i feel this shouldnt count as an entry since its pretty much teh same as something he made before and it feels like its just like plagerizing a school report by writing a report that is conveniently like one you wrote three years ago with a few words changed.
Pretty much my thoughts. The whole idea of the 48 hour marathons is to BS an idea and throw it together as fast as possible, and some of the most hilariously bizarre games I've seen have come out of them, like a game about a duck that shoots skittles from its butt.

I'm guessing he just had a creativity block.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Wow. He managed to make minecraft more dull, somehow.

Isn't the whole point of game-making marathon competitions to make something creative?

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Ah, so Notch is now so "famous" it's trendy to hate on him. That's how big you've become dude. 'Grats :)
You're almost on the same level as Modern Warfare it seems.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
SmugFrog said:
This is the second time I've seen Notch mentioned in The Escapist news about a limited-time create a game competition.

As much as I like Notch and Minecraft, it kind of saddens me that instead of reporting on the "best of" a competition like this, we're informed about a known developer that is competing in a competition with hundreds of others.

Notch already has plenty of publicity.
I think its because minecraft won March mayhem, which basicaly means Notch owns the escapists soul or something. Not that Im complaining I like the guy!

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Look, Escapist reporters, I like Notch too. He's a great guy who made an awesome game; we can all agree on that. But when a neat competition like this occurs, a real, competent reporters would report on the competition itself. Focusing only on one specific developer taking part in the competition and nothing else is bad journalism. How many other developers took part in the competition? Were there any other noteworthies among them? Who won and what prizes did they win? Who hosted the competition? You didn't tell us any of this when you were supposed to, and this kind of positive discrimination in its reporting doesn't make The Escapist any better than Fox News and their constant negative discrimination against video games.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Movement_Machine said:
Nay, i shan't hate the man that has kept me up late at night gleefully building a replica of the lincoln memorial with a creeper head instead of a lincoln head
Thou art beyond redemption then, oh vile naysayer, since it was God Almighty that said once "Thou shalt not suffer The Notch to live" ! So says The Lord ! ;)

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
NightmareLuna said:
Notch completly stole Minecraft. What he did was built upon the single most liked experience from another game. He had just the good fortune to come up with it first. He is no god of games or whatever some are calling him... He just had a bit of luck.
Ah. Jealousy. Sweetest poison of all. ;]

Movement_Machine said:
What did he steal? o_O
Haven't you heard ? Notch, wearing full ninja costume, armed with katana and sh*t broke into main building of Blizzard, killed corporate fullborgs doing as many backflips as possible, and stole code that was supposed to be new engine for upcoming Duke Nukem Forever game. Then, posing as big breasted blonde stewardess he hijacked a plane full of Bethesda programmers, had them replace some textures in this code and finally sold it as "Minecraft".
Considering cries of butthurt haters that was the case, i am sure of it ! :)

ITT Notch fanboy. Didn't know there were any left.

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
You guys can talk about Notch and Minecraft all you want. I'll just focus on the new game.

weirdguy said:
The main issues I have with the game are that you can't make torches (turning the underground portion into an exercise of equal parts tedium and sheer terror as you tote a large unwieldy lantern around without any means to fight back against the hordes of death while you're holding it), and cloth seems to be largely useless, unless you can craft it into a torch and I haven't figured it out yet. Dirt also doesn't really serve a purpose and chests seem to only be useful for dumping old tools in them after you don't have any use for them.

Oh, and of course, the permadeath, but I find that my ability to avoid being killed is pretty fly so it wasn't an issue for me.

The good things about the game are that he actually put some really cool overall mechanics in it that I hope make it into the main game. A few notable aspects are that tools are actually useful because their functions can't be replicated by punching the block manually, being able to lift things with the power glove instead of having to destroy them to pick them up again, and making ore blocks spiky harbingers of death to ensure that you don't just plow recklessly into the darkness (the equivalent of just digging straight down) make things smoother, and in the latter case, more interesting.

I'd like to point out that with the monsters being slimes and zombies kind of reminds me of Terraria in some sort of funny coincidence.
Lots of good stuff said there that pretty much covers it all.

All I can add:

He spent 48 hours making it. I spent 2 hours of playing it through 2 lives. I've no reason to ever pick it up again. It gets dull very fast. And permadeath is a big annoyance in gather games like this. I would spent 20 minutes chopping trees just trying to get at least 30 apples to go into a cave.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
The day notch isn't a total ass of a person and can make something other than minecraft, is the day I will be impressed with him.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I was against the idea of notch being allowed to compete in Ludum Dare because regardless of what he made it would get press time and entirely overshadow whatever the small timers or hobbyists made.