Minecraft Endermen: Good Idea?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm sure most of us know by now that Notch is adding "Endermen", a lovely new mob that fills the viewer with intense happiness and joy.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/2/28/Enderman.png

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/thumb/2/21/2011-07-26_18.14.06.png/800px-2011-07-26_18.14.06.png

Delightful. The Slenderman connection is pretty obvious, and combined with the appearance, three meter height, and ability to move blocks (yep!), it's destined to become a creepy mob, maybe knocking the Creeper off its post of "Worst Encounter To Have At Night".

In fact, I guarantee that it will. At least you are FASTER than Creepers.

<link=http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8208212863/the-psychology-of-the-reticle-and-the-feeling-of>Here is what Notch has to say on making the Enderman as creepy as possible.

(If you want to discover how the Enderman works on your own, leave the thread now and don't read the above link.)

Basically, Notch has settled on it being a passive mob that just creeps you out UNTIL YOU LOOK AT IT. This means directly at it - if it's to one side of your vision, it won't care. However, the INSTANT you put your reticle on it, it freezes, turns, and stares at you.

It will continue to stare at you forever, until you look away.

Then it either barrels at you with frightening speed, or, if it's far away enough, it TELEPORTS AT YOU. (No word on if it can teleport up to the balcony your standing on, or if you can piss it off through windows.)

Essentially, Notch has made a cross of Slenderman and a Weeping Angel.

A FREAKING WEEPING ANGEL.

<youtube=18sKNMm5KSI>

Now, you're wandering through the forest, it's raining, and you're on the lookout for creepers, you're tense, but you can see your castle clearing nearby. You go around a tree, and BOOM you're staring at a black, tall weeping angel, which is staring at you. Now you can't get to your castle without losing sight of it, you can't look around for creepers/skeletons/zombies, and you give it the advantage if you run up to it and smack it. Thank you, Notch. Thank you.

So what do you think? Are these a good addition to Minecraft? Is this going to placate people who complain that modders did it first? Will this scare you off of Minecraft forever?

Edit: Fake clip fun!

<youtube=DIeQgwEJUms>

It's obviously fake (the first time he turns back, he doesn't even put his cursor on the Enderman to make it stop), but still nice and creepy.

Zenomorph

Jul 12, 2010
oh no Notch has perfected his nightmare siphoning machine and apparently has used it on ME!
OK OK just calm down everything will be fine, all i have to do is make a giant castle on top of a large plateau and NEVER LEAVE... crap

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zenomorph said:
oh no Notch has perfected his nightmare siphoning machine and apparently has used it on ME!
OK OK just calm down everything will be fine, all i have to do is make a giant castle on top of a large plateau and NEVER LEAVE... crap
Don't forget to light it well... we wouldn't want Endermen spawning in there, having you wake up to the cold, dead eyes of a three-meter monstrosity, would we?

(No conclusive news on its spawn requirements, or if it can survive daylight.)

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Honestly... that seems a bit unfair. And the fact it can hold blocks makes me worry it'll be able to just deconstruct your buildings for the hell of it, otherwise holding blocks would seem pointless. I just hope he adds the option to turn off individual mobs with the update. Plus, having this would make having windows in your house or building not worth it due to danger. So basically... bleh.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Let's hope that sunlight kills them, otherwise sleep will not exist anymore in my life.

booker

Feb 25, 2011
I've said it once and I'll say it again: This mob will probably be glitch-city. Especially things like moving blocks and teleportation.

I can't say it's a bad idea. I mean, the game already has its signature scary-thing. Will adding another one be really that bad? No. The real deal-breaker is how gameplay is affected. And I guess the only way to find that out is when the update comes out.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
I lover the new monsters. I mean these guys can actually do some damage unlike the others monsters unless they mob up on your ass. Also: I ISSUE A CHALLENGE TO THE ENDERMEN.

And my redstone machine guns!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Kapol said:
Honestly... that seems a bit unfair. And the fact it can hold blocks makes me worry it'll be able to just deconstruct your buildings for the hell of it, otherwise holding blocks would seem pointless. I just hope he adds the option to turn off individual mobs with the update. Plus, having this would make having windows in your house or building not worth it due to danger. So basically... bleh.
He said that they'd "move blocks around", and I'm guessing they'll stick to sand, gravel and maybe dirt (they don't have any tools). Your stone base would be safe.

I... hope.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
Pegghead said:
Let's hope that sunlight kills them, otherwise sleep will not exist anymore in my life.
realistically
night/day doesn't matter to slenderman...
also all i can say on this is:...fuck...me

scarfacetehstag

Feb 12, 2011
bloody brilliant, if you dont want it difficult play on peaceful is notches suggestion. This is gonna rock, better than creepers. ARGH SOMEONE GIVE THIS GUY A REAL BUDGET

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Fade2Moo said:
its all fun and games... till it picks up the tnt...
Oh. FUDGE.

scarfacetehstag said:
bloody brilliant, if you dont want it difficult play on peaceful is notches suggestion. This is gonna rock, better than creepers. ARGH SOMEONE GIVE THIS GUY A REAL BUDGET
He's got the budget. You don't sell ~2500000 copies of a $15 game without getting a good budget.

Jun 24, 2009
It seems cool, but I think it should get a better name than 'Endermen', it's too obvious as a Slenderman reference. Also, I think the block moving thing will get annoying. Either when they deconstruct your house, or if they make the landscape look completely messed up.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Kapol said:
He said that they'd "move blocks around", and I'm guessing they'll stick to sand, gravel and maybe dirt (they don't have any tools). Your stone base would be safe.

I... hope.
I doubt it. It sounds like they can simply pick them up instead of having to destroy them, so that would mean they can just grab them and walk away while you cry gently to yourself.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Oh thank you Notch, as if this spawn of hell of yours wasnt already creepy enough.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Kapol said:
lacktheknack said:
Kapol said:

I... hope.
I doubt it. It sounds like they can simply pick them up instead of having to destroy them, so that would mean they can just grab them and walk away while you cry gently to yourself.
I don't think Notch is QUITE that evil.

He does play Minecraft himself, you know.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
I think its more adorable than creepy.

But that's just me.

What if I want to build sandcastles with it? Ooooooooh!

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Oh bloody hell they can teleport now also? Thanks Notch, thanks a lot ._.

Also from the post on his blog it sounds like they will only move around block near you so they don't fuck entire landscapes.