Minecraft is better than any game/series ever?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Apparently that's what most people here seem to think if the voting is any indication.

Minecraft is better than Mario, Pokemon, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3/NV, Resident Evil, Team Fortress, Elder Scrolls, Borderlands, The witcher, and oh god I could just go on and on.

Sure you could almost apply this to any dev that's winning or won March Mayhem, but the point here is that they had games. Not some game that is in beta and not even officially released. At least in the end Zynga didn't win last time, here though, it looks like Mojang going to. Can anyone really sit here and tell me it deserves to win more than ANY other developer?

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Some people have an opinion that is not entirely the same as yours...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I don't think it's about the number of games or lasting legacies so much as acknowledging what Notch and crew have managed to accomplish. Everyone likes rooting for the underdog, and Minecraft's breakaway success is a prime example. The fact that someone's personal project resulted in a game that even in its alpha and beta stages rivals the creations of major developers in terms of solid gameplay and sheer fun is nothing short of remarkable. I think this is why they're doing so well.

Not that I really care one way or another. It's just a glorified popularity contest when you boil it down.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Nah, it's just...

FRESHER, RIGHT NOW.

Indie devs and PC gamers are still enjoying their honeymoon of popularity and vindication.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
I'm not saying Mojang should win, I voted for Valve in the last round and Bioware in this (but I did support Mojang up until then). However if you were to account for the sheer impact they have had on the industry I think you could make an argument that they are deserving of the award.

At risk of sounding like an American referring to September 11th, everything is different now. They have had that much impact on the industry.

As an aside, Minecraft beating Nintendo I'm well on board with. When was the last time Nintendo did something which wasn't derivative crap? Wii and DS I guess, but in terms of game development I haven't seen them as top tier for a long time, everyone else moved on and they didn't.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
TBH, I can't really call MC much of a game. Pretty much all "goals" are in your mind. It's a giant sandbox. Like GMod. You could treat it as a survival game, I suppose.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im blaming shenanigans for this, last year zenga or whatever the company name who does farmville managed to get really high too

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Minecraft will probably blow over eventually. Yes I have played it, do I think it's the best game ever? No way in hell. I'm supporting Bioware, no matter what people keep telling me about what they think about Dragon Age 2.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, Mojang does deserve to win, even though I voted it to be defeated by Lionhead, because Fable is awesome, which in turn would have been defeated by Bethesda in the finals because of Skyrim, even though it hasn't been released yet.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
number2301 said:
However if you were to account for the sheer impact they have had on the industry I think you could make an argument that they are deserving of the award.

At risk of sounding like an American referring to September 11th, everything is different now.
Ok, do explain what impact MineCraft, specifically, has had on the industry.

The answer? None; or at least theres been no obvious and immediate effect the same sort Gears of War had...

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
No, it's just really popular right now and that's why people are voting for it. Simple as that really otherwise zynga wouldn't have done so well last year.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I don't get where the discussion value is here - just a simple 'yes' to the topic title should suffice ;)

If you're all miffed over the March Mayhem stuff then just take a step back and remember that it's just a popularity contest - not even a glorified one. It's a draw for new users to the Escapist, it nets a bit of extra ad revenue, but it's not like the industry takes much more than a passing interest in it, if it even acknowledges it.

So chill. Minecraft's popular. Valve's not released a big game in years as Alien Swarm was their L4D team's side project. Nintendo's done very little to innovate software-wise, and don't target the demographic likely to vote here. Bioware's recent release seems a bit hit-or-miss, which doesn't help them there. Is it any surprise that... eh, I've said it all before tonnes of times. Cba anymore. You can probably work out the gist of that argument for yourself, lol.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
II2 said:
Nah, it's just...

FRESHER, RIGHT NOW.
Exactly. By the logic of these posts these awards should have included all the defunct companies as well.

C'mon, Escapist Team, you asses. I want to vote for GRIN as the developer of the year!

Vaer

Jan 24, 2008
It's just the current trend really, Indy=gold, new, great, amazing, original, etc. even though it's just a copy of an older game that not many know about and thus we must worship the indie gods of development for they are the true saviors and all big companies should be hated for they are they are spreading corruption in the land of gaming with their greediness and unoriginality.

Meh, me thinks people are a bit too much like sheep, then again I don't really care who wins a competition like this much and besides, just because the majority says something it doesn't make it true.

Aj Swan

Mar 24, 2011
Minecraft is great and all, but it is not really a fun game after a while. All you do is place blocks. There is really no other content except maybe placing blocks... IN HELL!

Dwarf Fortress on the other hand...

*EDIT*- I am actaully sad that Bay 12 games didn't make the cut.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
If you're only going by games released in the last year, then Mojang shouldn't even be in the running. They have never released a game.

If you're going by games released across a developers entire library, then Mojang shouldn't even be in the running, because they have never released a game.

Minecraft is still in beta. Even if it wasn't still in beta, saying it's better than even 1 of Blizzard/Bioware/Valve's games is laughable.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
D_987 said:
number2301 said:
However if you were to account for the sheer impact they have had on the industry I think you could make an argument that they are deserving of the award.

At risk of sounding like an American referring to September 11th, everything is different now.
Ok, do explain what impact MineCraft, specifically, has had on the industry.

The answer? None; or at least theres been no obvious and immediate effect the same sort Gears of War had...
Gears of War had an impact? Never been interested in Gears of War so I won't get into that.

What impact did Minecraft have? How about being a fully breakout hit coming from not only the Indie community but from predominantly one guy? How about emphasizing creative freedom over action? How about taking a lo-fi stylized approach? How about doing all that and making a shit tonne of money?

Due to Minecraft you will see Indies have more support, you will see alternative gameplay styles explored.

That's impact and that's positive impact. Generic Brown TPS 3 isn't.