Minecraft Player Creates a Link to Zelda's Past

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
I may get flamed for this, but A Link To The Past, along with the NES Zeldas and Link's Awakening, is one of the lesser Zeldas for me. I duuno why, Ocarina was the very first Zelda I've ever played and going back to 2D was a bit jarring for me at the time.
No flames here, but I'm actually the opposite heh I grew up on the original Zelda games and have found the 3D ones to be just meh re treads of the 2D awesomeness that came before them. Guess it's a matter of perspective. :)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
twm1709 said:
Minecraft is soon becoming a haven for extremely obsessive nerds. Rapture, Hyrule, a CPU? come on... as weird as this may come from me, I'm sure there are better ways to spend your time than making something like this.
Like sitting in a couch, mindlessly watching TV.
Who would chose to spend their free time doing something engaging and creative when you can just laze around?
I mean, seriously now.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
*speechless with awe*
*finds voice*

OH MY GOD THAT WAS SO TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!

Seriously, ALttP is literally my favorite game of all time. I know that game inside, outside, upside down, forwards, backwards, sideways, diagonally, and any other direction you can think of.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
StriderShinryu said:
SupahGamuh said:
I may get flamed for this, but A Link To The Past, along with the NES Zeldas and Link's Awakening, is one of the lesser Zeldas for me. I duuno why, Ocarina was the very first Zelda I've ever played and going back to 2D was a bit jarring for me at the time.
No flames here, but I'm actually the opposite heh I grew up on the original Zelda games and have found the 3D ones to be just meh re treads of the 2D awesomeness that came before them. Guess it's a matter of perspective. :)
I found the switch to 3d for Zelda an unnecessary gimmick at the time, and never really managed to justify getting any of the 3d games - the hardware was just too expensive. Why mess with elegant simplicity for it's own sake? On seeing this though... WOW!

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Every time I hear "someone re-creates such and such game in such and such game" I think it's going to be a single monster (spore) or a level (first level of SMB in Half-Life 2) then I hear someone re-created 'such and such' in minecraft and my first reaction is "Oh, what. Like a single level?"

I need to re-adjust my expectations. A guy didn't create a single level or monster in minecraft... HE CREATED THE ENTIRE FREAKIN WORLD FROM ZELDA: LTTP. HOLY SHITBURGERS. Another guy is making a 1:1 scale model of the USS Enterprise. Another guy created a replica of the world. THE FUCKING WORLD. Minecraft takes fandom to a whole shitcrazy new level. Makes me wish I had more free time so I could go back to making my 64:1 scale model of Scarlett Johansen's breasts.

I mean... Uh...

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
That's pretty awesome.

However, the map of the game world you provided is awry. You have the dark world version of death mountain on the light world map. Look at the color of the sky and the black at its base.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Or he could have done it in a map editor and had it done in a couple of days :/
I acknowledge the effort but honestly... there isnt any resemblance.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
twm1709 said:
Minecraft is soon becoming a haven for extremely obsessive nerds. Rapture, Hyrule, a CPU? come on... as weird as this may come from me, I'm sure there are better ways to spend your time than making something like this.
You could give out about it on gaming forums, that's far more constructive and not nerdy at all.

Sober Thal said:
I just can't picture what the video showed as being from the game I finished so long ago.
I dunno dude, I've played ALTTP every year since it came out and I think he did a great job, seems pretty accurate to me!

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Kiyotaki said:
OMG Link to the past Re-created DoubleOBond should get something amazing for all his efforts
Besides an inevitable cease-and-desist from Nintendo's lawyers?

In other news, I'm glad the Escapist basically acts as a Kotaku mirror, because these forum threads are much better (and safer for one's data security) than Gawker's commenting system.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Double A said:
Formica Archonis said:
Of all the possible add-ons listed, that would be the most trivial!
You know you want to...
Tempting, but I'm saving my modding mojo for when there's an API and proper tools. I'm probably just going to kludge together a few things for myself like I did for the last few games I owned. (The last game I got deep into modding for was Doom, and I was fairly good at it. But the barrier for entry on new games is so much higher.)

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
SupahGamuh said:
2D for me is the pinnacle of gameplay in the series, 3D draws me in to the story and atmosphere. Only Zelda games I didn't like were the DS ones that feel in between the two dimensions and suffered in both respects because of it.

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
tehweave said:
Makes me wish I had more free time so I could go back to making my 64:1 scale model of Scarlett Johansen's breasts.

I mean... Uh...
It's probably already been done