Minecraft server or LAN connection

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
I am trying to create a minecraft world that anyone in my house can join even when I am not home. The two options I have found are (a) log into my minecraft world, open it to LAN, and then just hid my character and (b) create a minecraft server.

Problem is, I do not want the game open to everyone, just my family for now, and I am worried that creating a server will open my computer up to hackers. Is there a third option I am missing? Or perhaps a way to only allow users of my local network to access the server?

Any help would be appreciated.

~~ Alorxico

nesbitto

Nov 25, 2013
Option (a); LAN; That would seem ideal for your needs. It's been a while since I've used it, but as I recall, only people with access to your local network will be able to join. You can even control what game mode other players will be in and if they have access to cheats. Downside is you have to leave MC running on your machine all the time, connected to the network.

Option (b); Server; Two sub options, either host the server your self or have it hosted else where. First option is basically a LAN like above. The second would mean that everyone would be connecting to an external server, so bandwidth usage could become an issue for some people. Latency could also be a factor. A good server should be able to give you the ability to white list people, so only they can play. But this is the internet, so there's no promise of total security. Having a server hosted else where will also cost you money. :(

Option (c); MC Realms; I don't know if this will be available in your region, it's only just come to mine. Basically the same as above, Mojang host your MC world for a fee. Less hassle than maintaining your own server and some people will feel more comfortable knowing Jeb and the crew are looking after them. :p