Minecraft... the horror, the horror

norwegian-guy

Jan 17, 2011
Once I had made a huge network of tunnels inside a mountain. One night another player was lost way afar from his building and he hid inside mine. Problem was he left the door open and in came 'a legion of SPIDERSSSSS.' (bravo to the one who can see the refrence)anyways I used 5 minutes just running from spiders in the tunnels while they picked away my health little by little.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
That explains what happened yesterday.

OT: I had come back down to my mines for the first time with my diamond pick, bent on mining some Obsidian. On the way there, I spotted some coal. I started to mine it but ended up hitting a lava floe. Lava started to flood the pit that I had just made. I burned to death with my diamond pick.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Assassin Xaero said:
I was down in a cave exploring, then decided to go back up. My path up was stair-like, and took a right turn, well, right before I got there, a creeper was coming down and jumped right in front of me. I swear it almost gave me a heart attack.

But as a side note, I'm worried about Minecraft and think I might quit playing before it is actually finished. This last updated seemed to add more for creativity (note blocks, dye, squid to get items for dye, different sheep for colored wool) than actual playability (dispensers, cake, change to the spiders, and that is about it). The creative stuff is cool, but I have much more fun actually playing the game (mining, building a base, surviving), but it looks like it is turning more creative.
He wants to get all the blocks in, because he's adding a creative mode inside the client itself. Meaning, we can make castles, floating islands, etc. with infinite blocks within the client itself and aren't limited by the Minecraft Classic block types.

Don't worry, he's adding a dungeon mode (definitely) and Zombie Survival mode as well (we think).
Ahh, that makes sense then.

blah_ducks

Dec 21, 2009
I never really had a "scary" moment but I did have a FML one. I was going down into my personal underground cavern, been exploring the place for a few days, when I finally hit the goddamn motherload. It was basically a giant lava area, but around the sides I found my first four diamond ores. Then a skeleton came and shot me into the lava *sigh*

glyphseeker

Sep 19, 2010
one time i was digging down (yes i know bad me) and i dropped into a dungeon and not just any dungeon a skelly one so naturally i spent the next 20 mins picking my stuff up placing a torch and dying *maybe killing a skelly*

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
My solution to the climbing spiders is a roof.

My scariest moments all definitely involve Creepers, sneaking up behind me, destroying my mines and everything around me...

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Zorg Machine said:
You can just put another block on the top of your wall. spiders can't climb upside down.

My scariest moment was when I wen't out at the end of the day because I thought I could take a quick spawning spider and kill it (I need another string for my bow) I climbed up on a hill (creepers keep jumping down on me)and waited for dark.
I looked around and I didn't see anything spawning when suddenly, 6 spiders spawned between me and my house...6 fucking spiders ran towards me with their glowing eyes and ate my shins.

Now my spawn point was close and I didn't have anything very valuable on me when I died so I thought I would be fine...after running away from zombies and skeletons and whatnot I finally make it back to my house just in time for dawn...at which point a burning zombie hits me and knocks me down into the hole with my pet creeper (his name was Creepy, R.I.P)

I have countless stories of being down in caverns, deciding whether or not to just leg it away.
Creepy will be missed

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
norwegian-guy said:
Once I had made a huge network of tunnels inside a mountain. One night another player was lost way afar from his building and he hid inside mine. Problem was he left the door open and in came 'a legion of SPIDERSSSSS.' (bravo to the one who can see the refrence)anyways I used 5 minutes just running from spiders in the tunnels while they picked away my health little by little.
That guy with the glasses lost in space review

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
My worst experience in Minecraft was when I died in my mine and spawned just as the sun was going down. I had built my house about a minutes walk from the spawn. I got about half way there before I got trapped by skeletons. I climbed a tree to escape them and spent the night cowering in the branches listening to the sounds of arrows thunking against the leaves.

Needless to say, when I heard the sound of burning skeletons I started running.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
The part i found the scariest was i had spent several hours building a castle multiple rooms, towers and a keep & my buddy decides to build a basement +secret escape route. He tunnel4ed into a cavern filled with zombies and refused to tell me until we were standing up on the walls having barricaded the stairs. I picked up a noise that did not belong in the central keep while i was on the walls, saw my buddy bolting out with a horde of zombies behind him and noticed what he did as he got onto the walls and broke off the stairway. For added measure i covered stone in front of that and quickly ran to the other tower to fill in the stairs there JUST as one was coming up.

We sat on the wall for the duration of the night with no torches like cats from angry dogs.

Alucadrian

Jan 29, 2009
It does add a new element of fear, the climbing spiders. However, there is a solution that no one here has yet mentioned, as well. There are two types of blocks, and only two, that spiders cannot climb. One is Sand, which isn't all that helpful as sand is nigh-useless to build with.

However, with the simultaneous inclusion of craftable Sandstone blocks, it is again possible to build outer walls that are impervious to spider invasion, if you prefer to keep your walls straight vertical. To craft Sandstone, just place four regular sand blocks in a square formation. Workbench not required, and it has the same resistance (30) as Cobblestone.

Also, a slight AI shift was made as well. Creepers previously had an ability to see the player through solid obstacles, which is how you were always turning around to find them right in your face all the time; they could see you through walls. This ability has since been removed from the Creepers and given to Spiders instead, in order to increase the probability of their making active use of their wall-climbing abilities now. This means that any spider nearby, whether you can see it or not, WILL make a beeline for your position, and will scale any un-spiderproofed obstacle to reach you.

Hide your kids.

Hide your wife.

Kalahee

Jan 12, 2011
The game WAS scary. i was mostly annoyed at all the grunting of enemies that could be hiding behind the walls, trying not to get killed at every turn. Later, in a new game, I just went ice skating with the mobs walking on iced water and dodging arrows trying to have skeleton kill a creeper, before I been told it's the other way to get the music records.

At first, I was trying to make some huge mining fortress. After that... I didn't have much purpose to dig. Playing with the mobs trying not to get killed was more fun and I was storing loot out of their reach.

SMP has a terrible problem of playing in solitaire. Althought I tried various time to have everyone play together, they just split to build their own stuff. I don't think fully capable mobs would really change that.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
I made a dirt house the first night and set the diff on hard. I opened a window to see mobs of mobs wandering around my house. A creeper came up to my window and stared at me. I wasn't too careful apparently and it blew up the entire backside of my hut.

Or when I'm in a deep cave where I could easily get lost in and found what I believed was diamond. After finding my way back up to the surface I found that it had the name of Lapis something. After wikiing it and discovering that I found something so useless to me, I angrilly deleted that level and the Hobbit hole that was my home.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
"Ok, I am just about out of torches, so I gotta get out of this mine... now where was that exit?"
*2 minutes later, final torch runs out*
*Not even a second later, hears hissing*
"OH FUCK!!! LIJOWKJGL:SKDJGL:ERKJYELR:KJT:!!!!11!!!!!11"
*dies*

There have also been times where I have my music really loud for a certain awesome song, and in between songs (during that silent part), I hear super loud hissing...

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Sixcess said:
As many Minecrafters will tell you, this is a surprisingly scary game. The sheer randomness of the world means you have literally no idea of what might be around the next corner, and if you have ever found yourself deep underground with no clear exit and a dwindling supply of torches you'll know just how scary that can be.

Well, it just got a little, or a lot, scarier. As of the latest update spiders can climb up walls.

Yeah, those castle walls you've built? Not so safe now, are they?

For discussion: what's been your scariest moment in Minecraft? I'd say mine would be one of my first nights above ground, when I'd built a little cabin on a hill but made the mistake of not having any torches. The horde of monsters that ammassed around outside the cabin that night, and the noise of them all was quite nerve wracking.
I'm beginning to feel more and more like the only person that isn't scared by this game

...and everyone I know who's scared of it is a complete pansy and acts like a douche whenever I mention it

in short- I don't understand how this is scary, stop trying to convince me it is
and go play amnesia and make sure you don't crap yourself (because if minecraft scares you... dang that's sad)

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
SnipErlite said:
Hold on - Can they be stopped by building a wall like:

[][]
[]
[]
[]

Around the edge of your fort (with the lip pointing outwards)? Can they climb upside down, or just up vertical walls?
that would stop any spiders from climbing, but things can now spawn ontop of hte lip and it will shelter any creatures beneath. important note, spiders cannot climb sand or sandstone.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
Scariest moment? Hearing this sound at any time: "Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss". Especially when you can't see what's making it.

Edit: Also I would like to note to everyone, that spiders can climb up cacti too. Nearly got killed after discovering that.