... Minecraft what's the point?

Inchronica

Feb 3, 2011
I've been playing Minecraft, And I love it. It's a super fun and creative game. My issue with it comes from ... well ... there being no point. There is no reason to do anything. Yeah, I could make a huge satanic skull out of a mountain of lava, But who cares? Whose going to see it? And if someone did, Why should they care? It's what's keeping me back from being completely immersed in this, pointless, yet fun game. I've played multi player but it seems if griefing is a big issue with multi-player. And the last thing I want is a gigantic penis starring back at what once was my demonic skull mountain. Not mention, Everytime I've ever done anything the server ends up getting reset and my work goes with it ...It's like working really hard on this amazing piece of art, putting it in a museum of monkeys HOPING! They don't fling they're fecal matter at it while people periodically come in and remove all of the art from the walls ... and proceed to throw into the trash. So I beg to ask the question, What is the point? Multi player is still sketchy, and single player, no matter how much work you put into it, doesn't matter.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Inchronica said:
I've been playing Minecraft, And I love it. It's a super fun and creative game. My issue with it comes from ... well ... there being no point. There is no reason to do anything. Yeah, I could make a huge satanic skull out of a mountain of lava, But who cares? Whose going to see it? And if someone did, Why should they care? It's what's keeping me back from being completely immersed in this, pointless, yet fun game. I've played multi player but it seems if griefing is a big issue with multi-player. And the last thing I want is a gigantic penis starring back at what once was my demonic skull mountain. Not mention, Everytime I've ever done anything the server ends up getting reset and my work goes with it ...It's like working really hard on this amazing piece of art, putting it in a museum of monkeys HOPING! They don't fling they're fecal matter at it while people periodically come in and remove all of the art from the walls ... and proceed to throw into the trash. So I beg to ask the question, What is the point? Multi player is still sketchy, and single player, no matter how much work you put into it, doesn't matter.
Do you sit around asking what is the point of Legos? Minecraft is very much something that needs a player to drive it; what you bring to the game is all there is. If you need someone to provide a goal for you, Minecraft is not for you.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
The joy of Minecraft comes not from showing others your completed work (though that can be part of it), but from seeing your ideas take shape before you, and knowing that you placed every last block. Essentially, it's the journey, not the destination.

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
I find the whole starting out bit exciting, just me and the monsters. Thats why I like iron man gameplay.

However if you need something else to excite you i suggest dabbling with making adventure maps or perhaps mods.

The official minecraft forums is a great place to share the maps should you feel they're good enough quality.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I think you will need this:

For now, the point just seems to be dicking around and building stuff. Apparently Notch is thinking of adding some kind of actual goals to the game though? I heard that somewhere, and I hope it's true. I think it'd be more fun that way myself.

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
mjc0961 said:
I think you will need this:

For now, the point just seems to be dicking around and building stuff. Apparently Notch is thinking of adding some kind of actual goals to the game though? I heard that somewhere, and I hope it's true. I think it'd be more fun that way myself.
Yes, he's working in achievements. Also pet wolves.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
You CAN put your level on the internet for people to download. Just make it nifty and fun to look at/navigate, and people will look.

Other than that... to waste time.

Notch says he'll add an overarching goal, so maybe you'll get a better answer then.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Until you can make skull fortresses in it, none. Or stone golems. Or giant mechs.

There is no point.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Because thats just it. There's so much freedom in the game. Its (in some cases of gold or diamond) a giant dick waving contest to show how creative you are and how devoted you are to materials. If you wnat interaction, just open a server, or go to one and build there.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I'm betting that at some time during your life you had a great artistic idea, but you couldn't bring it to life in a decent way because you lacked the technical skill.

While games like Second Life and such tried to give you the tools, their worksets were generally arcane and tended to require more learning than might have been reasonable for a casual game (plus they were generally terrible games).

Minecraft is the Legos to Second Life's photoshop. Yes, it's limited in the sense that you only have blocks to work with, it's also very user-friendly. It allows you to build what you want without a liberal arts degree. And that's why everyone loves it.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Catalyst6 said:
I'm betting that at some time during your life you had a great artistic idea, but you couldn't bring it to life in a decent way because you lacked the technical skill.

While games like Second Life and such tried to give you the tools, their worksets were generally arcane and tended to require more learning than might have been reasonable for a casual game (plus they were generally terrible games).

Minecraft is the Legos to Second Life's photoshop. Yes, it's limited in the sense that you only have blocks to work with, it's also very user-friendly. It allows you to build what you want without a liberal arts degree. And that's why everyone loves it.
I never considered the two games as similar in any way but I suppose you're right. Minecraft is an impossibly less complex and furry ridden version of Second Life with more charming graphics.

Huh.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
actually I think the point to minecraft is... there is no point. Its purely designed to kill time and it does its job so fucking well it hurts (and it hurts my school work as well)

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Hiphophippo said:
I never considered the two games as similar in any way but I suppose you're right. Minecraft is an impossibly less complex and furry ridden version of Second Life with more charming graphics.

Huh.
Both have equal amounts of furries.
So yeah, your point is almost invalidated.
Also, red stone is fucking complex.