Minecraft's Notch Shares Sales Info For Good Press

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft's Notch Shares Sales Info For Good Press

The creator of Minecraft is open about sales data because it creates a positive company image.

Minecraft creator Marcus "Notch" Persson has been open about the game's sometimes explosive sales [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103828-MineCraft-Makes-350-000-a-Day] since its release, but he doesn't share this information to brag. In his opinion, openness is simply good PR.

Persson's Minecraft stats page [http://www.minecraft.net/stats.jsp] shows exactly how many people have bought the game in the past 24 hours and the total number of purchases made (over 666,000 as of this writing). He told GI.biz that the purpose of this page is to create a good customer rapport.

"Personally I like sharing that information, because I'm generally an open guy," Persson said. "But it feels a bit sometimes like it's a bragging page. That wasn't the intention, because originally it was for the people who had bought the game could see like a number increase on a webpage or something."

"I think it's a good sign, if you're actually open with your development and you're also open about the sales, it feels like you're genuine in some sense," he added. Persson is right, because this sort of information can be hard to come by for both independently-developed games and the titles that come out of major publishers. When you're totally open about how well you're doing, it not only makes you seem like an honest businessman, but creates a great wave of PR if your game is selling a ton of copies. Believe me, when Minecraft sells 1 million units, you'll know (and I might even be the one telling you).

Persson's degree of openness may have harmed the game at one juncture, with a DDoS attack on Minecraft servers rumored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104600-Minecraft-Multiplayer-Brought-Down-by-DDoS-Attack] to be caused by disgruntled players that said he wasn't putting enough of his money back into the game. However, Persson doesn't come off as a money-grubbing developer in the least, also saying that he doesn't plan to raise Minecraft prices, that he's "opposed to pointless DLC," and that while venture capitalists are knocking at his door he still plans to keep Minecraft self-funded so that it can become the best product possible. Judging by these comments, it appears that Minecraft's success couldn't have come to a better studio.

Source: GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-11-25-minecraft-creator-if-youre-open-about-sales-it-feels-like-youre-genuine-in-some-sense]

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
After reading this, I can't help but think that this man may be the exact thing that the gaming industry needs.

We need cloning technology.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
This is why there needs to be more gamers making games. We know what we want, and we're happy to give it to each other. Take notes, big corporations. Churning out high priced games and DLC doesn't always mean more money. Sometimes, you just have to give us what we want.

I couldn't be happier for Notch and his success. It's about time someone got it right. He also scored some major points with me when he donated $2000(I think) to Desert Bus for Hope this year.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
also saying that he doesn't plan to raise Minecraft prices
Hold it! Didn't he announce (ages ago) that he planned to increase the price of buying Minecraft to 20 Euros once it reached beta?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Dude was also a chat moderator during Desert Bus.

I don't know which of his accomplishments I like the most. I'm going with chat moderator for DB, though.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Hold it! Didn't he announce (ages ago) that he planned to increase the price of buying Minecraft to 20 Euros once it reached beta?
He probably means that Minecraft will never cost more than 20 Euros. I'm pretty sure that the current alpha price was nothing more than a "pre-order" 50% discount.

T3hMonk3y

May 28, 2008
Delusibeta said:

Kinda its half price at alpha, so he's not raising the price just taking the 50% off offer away

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Maybe he meant not to raise it further then what´s already planned for the beta/full version?

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Yep. I'd like some clarification on this. Maybe he changed his mind? Or maybe he means that he won't raise the price after the price hike.

Benmonkey7

Jun 15, 2010
Notch is awesome. He's like the anti-Kotick. I believe we should equip Kotick and him with lightsabers and watch them duel. Good vs. Evil style.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
I love Notch. What developer makes a dev blog that he updates with what he's releasing in each patch and telling people when he had trouble with specific aspects of the patch? It feels like he's doing his best to make the best game he can, and he always sounds so cheerful that things are going well.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Portal Maniac said:
After reading this, I can't help but think that this man may be the exact thing that the gaming industry needs.

We need cloning technology.
ABSO-FUCKING-LUTLY ! we need to replace every single industrial CEO with this guy !