Minecraft's Official Skyrim Pack Fus-Ro-Dah's Into Your Block World

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
RJ 17 said:
To everyone saying "LOL charging for consolecraft DLC? I'll just go play on my PC for free mods kthxbai", cut us console players some slack, will ya? Yes, we all know that MC has been around on computer way longer than on consoles. Yes, we all know that because of that there's a literal fuck-ton of FREE mods out there for the PC Master Race. But guess what?

EightGaugeHippo said:
For people who love minecraft, but don't have a computer that can stably run Minecraft, the 360 version is great.
Runs like a charm and I don't have to worry about walking too far from spawn and melting my machine.
Hippo has a point, not all of us have a computer that can run games on it, as such we stick to consoles. I'm certain that if we could all afford to have great game-running PCs, we'd all be playing the "real" version of MC and drowning in free mods as well, but for a lot of us that's just not an option.
I completely agree. I would have bought Minecraft for the PC back when it was in beta, but the computer I was using at the time was an utter piece of crap that took half an hour just to pull up the browser window. While my laptop is much better it still isn't powerful enough to play Minecraft on and then play with any mods and such I might want to play with.

OT: I might pick this up eventually, but I would wait a few weeks after it's first available so that they can work out any bugs that pop up because there will be bugs.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
EightGaugeHippo said:

Try and tell me 360 Minecraft isn't as awesome.
Certainly.

FLYING. PIGS.
But nah, minecraft I'm sure is pretty good on the xbox, just, as a game that was developed for the PC, the PC will always have the community advantage. Just like with Bethesda games etc. etc.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
Errrmmm.... Who praised Skyrim's dragons? Everybody I know said that they were extremely dissappointing, no different than a normal encounter, poor AI, glitchy as hell and no challenge at all.
SkyRe + the Deadly Dragons mod set to Expert.
In terms of challenges, those dragons are the challenges you run the fuck away from unless you've a city full of guards to back you up. Except sometimes the guards all die and you have to run away anyway.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Maiev Shadowsong said:
And the rumor that's going around on the Internet is definitely about real-life Scandinavia, and also entirely false.
According to Kotaku, the writers put it in and thought nothing of it. It was just another piece of the Nord NPC dialog, intended to add life to the mechanical, clockwork guards. The "origin" came after the phrase became popular.
[/quote]

Equally unproven, the other rumour I've seen is that it is a reference to the lack of 'greaves' as an armour type in the game, as was the case in Oblivion. I'd expect this is also untrue and it is indeed a random throw away line, but who knows.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
EightGaugeHippo said:

Try and tell me 360 Minecraft isn't as awesome.
Certainly.

FLYING. PIGS.
But nah, minecraft I'm sure is pretty good on the xbox, just, as a game that was developed for the PC, the PC will always have the community advantage. Just like with Bethesda games etc. etc.
I'm not saying Xbox Minecraft is better than PC. However, I started playing minecraft when it wen't beta and my PC could run it fine, but as updates came out I couldn't run it as smoothly.
I've played tekkit and voltz, but I like the simpler Vanilla experience too. Thats were 360 minecraft shines for me.

Anyway what I like about these mash-up packs is that they're essentially cheap pseudo-mods, which gives me hope that maybe consoles could start packaging and releasing mods over their market places.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Pay money for... textures? lolno

Let the community make content and release it for free. Stop being greedy.
How dare they charge money for the time and effort they put into this Skyrim texture pack. It's an outrage I say! I should be able to get everything for free.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Ugh. Cash whoring. Disgusting... so this is why MC Xbox edition is STILL so far behind in patches. They're making copies of popular games so they can sell DLC.

YUCK!

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:

How dare they charge money for the time and effort they put into this Skyrim texture pack. It's an outrage I say! I should be able to get everything for free.
Or, you could understand context and accept that charging for textures, something that is willingly made and given away by millions of fans, is inane and greedy.

But being absurd and missing the point could just be your thing.
If you don't want to pay for the texture pack, don't do it. But it's not inane or greedy for a company to try and be profitable. The only person in this exchange who's missing the point is you.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:

Or, you could understand context and accept that charging for textures, something that is willingly made and given away by millions of fans, is inane and greedy.

If you don't want to pay for the texture pack, don't do it. But it's not inane or greedy for a company to try and be profitable. The only person in this exchange who's missing the point is you.
Yes. Yes it is inane for a company to charge money for something millions of people willing give away for free. If you think being a business means anything you do and charge money for is reasonable, you're horrifically mistaken. Not having to buy something doesn't stop it from being stupid.

Would you like to buy my feces? Only $5.
There is a difference in quality between a fan made mod and one that is released by the developers themselves. There's also the fact that a mod released by the developers will reach a lot more players (greater compatibility between players), and an expected level of technical support should something go wrong. If you can't perceive these differences, I feel sorry for you.

Also, your "ridiculous" example; have you never heard of manure being sold as fertilizer?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:

Yes. Yes it is inane for a company to charge money for something millions of people willing give away for free. If you think being a business means anything you do and charge money for is reasonable, you're horrifically mistaken. Not having to buy something doesn't stop it from being stupid.

There is a difference in quality between a fan made mod and one that is released by the developers themselves. There's also the fact that a mod released by the developers will reach a lot more players (greater compatibility between players), and an expected level of technical support should something go wrong. If you can't perceive these differences, I feel sorry for you.

Also, your "ridiculous" example; have you never heard of manure being sold as fertilizer?
Mom, dad, get off the interwebs please. People can see you!

I'm firmly in the camp of "let people buy what they want and quitcher bitchin". This pack is for 360, not for PC. The creators of this pack will never come stomping in your playground so why try and take their lunchmoney hmm? Tell me again exactly how many player-created mods there are for 360 Minecraft, because that is where this is marketed, not for PC, the gaming utopia where everything is free and nobody ever pays for new game content.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:

I also don't think he realizes that Xbox gamers have basically zero ability to create and share any type of mod including texture packs, so that this is the only way we can get them.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
smithy_2045 said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:

Reach more people? What are you smoking? The PC playerbase for Minecraft is an order of magnitude larger and texture packs are extremely popular. Don't even try to tell me the community doesn't make better texture packs than developers. Do I need to link you any of the many, many fan made texture packs for games, including Minecraft, that are vastly superior? There's mods that make Oblivion look like Crysis. Support? I'll take the thousands of dedicated forums and threads that have step by step guides and FAQs for every situation, over some email tech support.

Buying a piece of human feces is not even remotely akin to buying fertilizer for your lawn. You couldn't stretch further to try and make your point work if you were made of rubber.
How do I put those PC mods onto my Xbox?

If you think that analogy is a stretch, I may be giving you too much credit.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I could just get a mod texture pack for free on PC. I have no use for this, even if I did have an xbox.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Denamic said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Errrmmm.... Who praised Skyrim's dragons? Everybody I know said that they were extremely dissappointing, no different than a normal encounter, poor AI, glitchy as hell and no challenge at all.
SkyRe + the Deadly Dragons mod set to Expert.
In terms of challenges, those dragons are the challenges you run the fuck away from unless you've a city full of guards to back you up. Except sometimes the guards all die and you have to run away anyway.
This sounds glorius. When I hear a dragon, I want to shit my pants IRL. I want them to put the fear of the Gods in me. I know what I'm doing when I get home.