Minecraft's Symbolism Analyzed! Analysis of the Ending

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
DeadpanLunatic said:
Overusedname said:
I love to use audio, but I've written for quite a while. It could be cool to give it a shot. :D I'd love to get some more experience.

Also...I'm a little new to the community (Though I already love the discussion here). I see you're involved in the Community showcase, is that what you're referring to? Or something else?
Something else. I'm trying to build an amateur gaming publication called Haywire Magazine, so I never skip an opportunity to find new contributors now. I can put you on the mailing list and forward our previous updates if you like, just send me your email address in private.
Kay, I sent the address. Thank you for the offer, I'll certainly consider it. :)

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
DeadpanLunatic said:
I don't even agree that Minecraft didn't have an end before they added this one. The feeling of closure, and really that's all this new end can claim for itself since you are still sent back, is there everytime you finish a project and wonder "Now, what?". Sometimes I leave the game for a while then. Sometimes I dive right back into the next project. Point is, just as you always set your own goals in this game, there have always been your own personal endings.
I'd argue there's a difference between an ending offered by a feeling of closure and an ending actually offered by the game. I felt closure immediately after defeating Nyx in Persona 3, but the actual end of the game wasn't for another two months of in game calendar time, and this is in a highly structured (though incredibly poorly paced) JRPG. Come to think of it, that wasn't even the final ending given the existence of "The Answer" which picked up later on in Persona 3 FES, a later addition much like Minecraft's The End.

Overusedname said:
I also thought it was just another time waster at first but even if that ending was thought of retro-actively (which I think it likely was), it still kinda makes sense. Subtext can be accidental, if that makes sense. I'm a writer and I make some subconscious symbolism that I only notice later all the time. But yes, it was most likely added AFTER the fact. But I still personally believe it all fits. Just my interpretation. I see it as a hint to what was there.
It's probably worth noting that Minecraft doesn't have a beginning, either, at least not in a terribly formal sense, and thus arguing about an ending strikes as a bit ridiculous. Let's go back in time to before The End was patched (along with NPC villages and regenerating health, etc), and you could only define your position within the world based on how much or how little you influenced your environment. In a way, patching in The End seems a bit like a betrayal. For all intents and purposes, the truest expression of sandbox design had an asinine Herculean challenge inserted into it which corrupted the world with outside forces. Suddenly your own private Eden isn't yours anymore, whether because of the fascinating traces of abandoned villages and deserted mineshafts, or because of the malarkey of strongholds and the ender zone.

Personally, it feels like an identity crisis, as if Minecraft is suddenly going through puberty. What I and (I think) many others liked the most about Minecraft was exploring, and given the fact that we share a tendency to generate ocean biomes and just sail away, I think you're with me on this. For that reason, updates that include new things to explore (jungles, ravines, etc) feel truer than the ones that include new things to do (kill a giant dragon).

To me, The End is meaningless. It puts into cheesy dialogue what it already effortlessly evokes in those who have been playing it for so long, so what's the point? I dig the Mark Twain quip (pun intended), but in the same way I dig those (de)motivation pictures and tumblr quote memes. It's interesting, sure, but not cleverly executed and more than a bit redundant.

As for the video, I'll pretty much be echoing the same sentiments: I liked it. I wouldn't suggest compromising on length, but do make an effort to tighten up the editing somewhat, and know when tangents are and aren't worth exploring. And yeah, I love C418 too, but the levels were a bit off and energetic remixes aren't the most complimenting tunes to play under your thoughtful voice, especially when the serene and introspective original tracks would do the job just fine.

I also want to say that I watched your Zelda videos too, and thought they suffered from the same problems (well, not so much audio mixing as much as sprawling over ambition). Personally, I'm not a fan of the whole "watch webcam footage of someone talk enthusiastically about a video game for 'X' minutes." Frankly, watching people contort their faces in exaggerated reaction to something causes me to cringe embarrassingly, but I do put up with it if I feel I'm actually getting something from it. Fortunately, your videos are worthwhile, but I can't help but feel that you're treading a fine line. In general, I'd advise to you to be careful about how you balance commentary and comedy, but so far I'd point MovieBob to your videos in an effort to remind him that this is what he should be doing with his Game OverThinker series. Hopefully we won't be seeing you sissy fighting yourself in silly costumes in a parking lot.

In conclusion, keep up the good work. Now how about a Persona 3 analysis? :D

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
You are actually a pretty talented guy. Enjoyed the video, subscribed and so on, and I'm glad somebody actually took the time to make a reasoned and occasionally rather funny video about something that most people seem to have reacted badly to.

EDIT: Also, I like your voice. It's a sexy voice.

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
Maet said:
In conclusion, keep up the good work. Now how about a Persona 3 analysis? :D
Thanks for watchin, and yes, I plan on tackling that game somewhere down the road.

snappydog said:
You are actually a pretty talented guy. Enjoyed the video, subscribed and so on, and I'm glad somebody actually took the time to make a reasoned and occasionally rather funny video about something that most people seem to have reacted badly to.

EDIT: Also, I like your voice. It's a sexy voice.
Thanks a lot! You can expect a new episode tomorrow afternoon actually.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
I like. I like very much. Very clever, very well done, very interesting. A cookie for you, dearest Prophet.

Or Prophit, I suppose.

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
blipblop said:
great vid man, funny intresting and that voice of yours is awsome
SirPlindington said:
I like. I like very much. Very clever, very well done, very interesting. A cookie for you, dearest Prophet.

Or Prophit, I suppose.
Thank ya both.

Very happy with the turnout here, and very surprised just how many people liked it :D 'tis an honor.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
Overusedname said:
blipblop said:
great vid man, funny intresting and that voice of yours is awsome
SirPlindington said:

Or Prophit, I suppose.
Thank ya both.

Very happy with the turnout here, and very surprised just how many people liked it :D 'tis an honor.
I watched the Ocarina of Time analysis as well. That was just as good. I love what I've seen of your videos.

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
SirPlindington said:
I watched the Ocarina of Time analysis as well. That was just as good. I love what I've seen of your videos.
Glad to hear it :D Thanks again.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I have a few random questions. Will there be more Minecraft episodes? Is this is a series like you did with OoT? Also, just out of curiosity, have you done any promotion for your videos on other online forums like you have here?

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
Scrustle said:
I have a few random questions. Will there be more Minecraft episodes? Is this is a series like you did with OoT? Also, just out of curiosity, have you done any promotion for your videos on other online forums like you have here?
I'd like to do a mini series of episodes were I play other people's creative files and analyze what it says about them. "Minecraft Musings", I like to call it. But there will be no continuation of the MAIN analysis for now.

I put them on Screwattack, no one watched them. This forum post is probably responsible for half my subscribers, honestly. :3 I haven't really spammed it much. I think my friends and fans have been sharing it though.

Akigawa

Jul 25, 2012
[EDIT: this was written before I read the entire thread, and I apologize for that. I was so busy writing that I didn't look entirely into replies. I hope this is still fresh and provokes thought despite that.]

I think that while this analysis is completely valid, you present it in such a way that you believe notch intended this symbolism. Notch isn't really an artist-- He's more of a guy who played with code and got what he got, then let the modding teams do the rest.
It gave insight into what could be thought about while playing, but it's really something you're perceiving. You're giving him more credit than he needs. He's just going to go 'Yup' and take any praise as truth because he wants more sales.

He took the concept of infiniminer further, and that's all his intent really was.

You're basically taking artistic meaning from a mandelbrot equation. It's definitely pretty, but the meaning isn't usually to express something. It's meant to be pretty without any philosophical meaning.

I love indie games (in fact, the majority of my steam list is humble bundle sales), but I have to disagree with the idea that minecraft's art.
It's a toy that's gotten more artistic praise than the renaissance period by people thinking so much about it and playing it because it's edgy art rather than enjoying it for what it is: A toy spawned from a seed-generated mess that notch said 'Oh fuck all of this, jeb can do the rest' to.
I love the guy, he's definitely pretty smart, but he's not an artistic genius of calibur with team ICO, to set an unreasonably-high standard.

Keep making reviews-- I look forward to completely justified analysis of majora's mask (Because philosophy actually was nintendo's intent with that title.)

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
Akigawa said:
[EDIT: this was written before I read the entire thread, and I apologize for that. I was so busy writing that I didn't look entirely into replies. I hope this is still fresh and provokes thought despite that.]
Don't fret. But yeah, I've blamed Jeb and friends for adding more nods to the appeal of Minecraft. I've mentioned that before, and I assume that's what ya meant. But yeah, I don't think Notch meant to do all that stuff, the team just looked at the world, what people were using it for, and decided to make an explicit nod to the appeal and theme of the game.

Bare in mind that the game was always intentionally built around exploration from the get go. And Creativity. Introspection might have been a fortunate accident, but it's certainly present. I also have no idea how to explain all that in the video, cuz that's way to big to be an annotation....

Thanks for watching, anyway XD

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
I don't think that this kind of subtext was intended from the beginning. That's pretty safe to say. However, the idea that you can find this subtext and meaning based on your own experiences with the game fit within it's own themes of open ended, player driven gameplay. You get what you put into it, be it physical or metaphysical. I don't personally see the game as art, but art is subjective.

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
the monopoly guy said:
I don't think that this kind of subtext was intended from the beginning. That's pretty safe to say. However, the idea that you can find this subtext and meaning based on your own experiences with the game fit within it's own themes of open ended, player driven gameplay. You get what you put into it, be it physical or metaphysical. I don't personally see the game as art, but art is subjective.
That's what the show's all about. Just interpretation and making people thinking about things from a new perspective. I'd say Metroid and Zelda's subtext is definitely more intentional.

False Nobility

Jul 29, 2012
Thoroughly glad I watched this. Just as good as your Metroid analysis.

I'm glad you're gonna keep making more.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Is this your channel?

Okay, I really hope you don't get flagged for self-advertisement, 'cause I'm quite glad you showed us this, thanks.

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
False Nobility said:
Thoroughly glad I watched this. Just as good as your Metroid analysis.

I'm glad you're gonna keep making more.
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Aerosteam 1908 said:
Is this your channel?

Okay, I really hope you don't get flagged for self-advertisement, 'cause I'm quite glad you showed us this, thanks.
Don't worry, I checked the forum rules and yes, we are allowed to post video reviews on the User Review page, as long as we're the ones who made them. I almost got in trouble for putting my Zelda review in Gaming Discussion, but on this section it's allowed.

And thank you! Glad you enjoyed.