Mini Consoles: Do you have one? Want one?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
While true, most of the original versions are still good. The PSO games you can actually play offline, but I get what you mean. Seaman I forgot requires a microphone. Dynamite Cop never got ported to any other consoles either. The crazy taxi Port that came out on 6th generation consoles are almost about the same, but run slightly better. The HD versions lost the music license. Soul Calibur HD exist, but it stuck on 7th generation consoles.

It would still be a great list of games to play and put on the mini console. That would be a definite buy for me. I admit that I would literally get it just for Dynamite Cop, Cannon Spike, Soul Calibur, and Power Stone.
It would be cool to play Dynamite Cop again. Although Soul Calibur... I think the Dreamcast version is the one that got me pissed enough to put a controller through the wall.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It would be cool to play Dynamite Cop again. Although Soul Calibur... I think the Dreamcast version is the one that got me pissed enough to put a controller through the wall.
Let me guess, the final boss? He is tough especially your first time through, or if you're not familiar with a character. After a while, he becomes predictable or vulnerable to parries. The latter is often harder to do though.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Let me guess, the final boss? He is tough especially your first time through, or if you're not familiar with a character. After a while, he becomes predictable or vulnerable to parties. The latter is often harder to do though.
Nah, this was one of the challenge stages, you were poisoned so your hp went down over time and I think the enemy might have also regened hp too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nah, this was one of the challenge stages, you were poisoned so your hp went down over time and I think the enemy might have also regened hp too.
I forgot about the challenge levels, as my brother and I only ever played the game at an arcade, our local movie theater, or we went over to a friend's that had a Dreamcast. I think we did a couple of challenge missions, but most of our time was spent playing against each other or playing arcade mode.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I never knew about the challenge loads as my brother and I only ever played the game at an arcade, our local movie theater, or we went over to a friend's that had a Dreamcast. I think we did a couple of challenge missions, but most of our time was spent playing against each other or playing arcade mode.
I tend to mostly play fighting games single player. I would rate my skill at them mediocre, but I did decently when I was climbing the tower in GG strive, so what do I know.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I tend to mostly play fighting games single player. I would rate my skill at them mediocre, but I did decently when I was climbing the tower in GG strive, so what do I know.
My fighting games skills are between average and decent. I rarely bother with online anymore for fighting games, and I usually boil down to single player and challenges. It's why I'm so heavily invested in Street Fighter VI. Say what you will about Midway/NetherRealm, while they faltered a little back in the PS2 era, they had the right idea and perfected it with MK9. Fighting games need actual single player content and not just a standard arcade, versus, and online what the usual DLC packs or seasons. These games are being charged at 60 plus dollars and most of them are just glorified arcade games. Most people are just going to wait for a price drop and for the DLC season passes to be on sale. Japanese developers are having the most issues with this. At least Capcom is learning and is more than likely going to succeed. When they do, they'll set up a new bar, and the other developers will have no choice but to follow at some point. Adapt or die.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
My fighting games skills are between average and decent. I rarely bother with online anymore for fighting games, am I still usually boil down to single player and challenges. It's why I'm so heavily invested in Street Fighter VI. Say what you will about Midway/Netherealm, while they faltered a little back in the PS2 error, they had the right idea and perfected it with MK9. Fighting games need actual single player content and not just a standard arcade, versus, and online what the usual DLC packs or seasons. These games are being charged at 60 plus dollars and most of them are just glorified arcade games. Most people are just going to wait for a price drop and for the DLC season passes to be on sale. Japanese developers are having the most issues with this. At least Capcom is learning and is more than likely going to succeed. When they do, they'll set up a new bar, and the other developers will have no choice but to follow at some point. Adapt or die.
The most impressive fighting game campaign I have seen was Thems Fightin Herds. I mean they have a full world thought out there that you roam around and talk with people and fight monsters that aren't player characters, and have bosses that are actual boss fights, not just a stronger cheating normal fighter.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Chimpzy, I know you said either too expensive where you come from, but they kept the region switching! You can switch to the Japanese and European versions of these games. That includes the Sega CD games too!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
@Chimpzy, I know you said either too expensive where you come from, but they kept the region switching! You can switch to the Japanese and European versions of these games. That includes the Sega CD games too!
Doesn't really change my mind. I'd have to import, so after adding sales tax, import tax and shipping I'm looking at probably 160-180 euros. Too much for what is essentially a rom collection of which only about a dozen games actually interest me, the rest stuff that's meh or I already have og cartridges of.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Doesn't really change my mind. I'd have to import, so after adding sales tax, import tax and shipping I'm looking at probably 160-180 euros. Too much for what is essentially a rom collection of which only about a dozen games actually interest me, the rest stuff that's meh or I already have og cartridges of.
I wasn't expecting you to change your mind. I was just giving you a heads up. I do not blame you for not buying this. You're all 👍🏿

Reactions: Chimpzy

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yes! They kept the region switching! Anyone can play Japanese versions of these games! I have no regrets getting this!
I really do wish they didn't have the price set so weird. $100 bucks and an additional $20 for shipping. Blegh.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I really do wish they didn't have the price set so weird. $100 bucks and an additional $20 for shipping. Blegh.
Agreed. I kind of got lucky with mine (there was a sale where they had it for $79.99), but it still ended up totaling $102. The fact that it's an import fee I find really disgusting, and I'm wondering why not just already have it manufactured in the States. Especially if this product is going to only be available in Japan and the United States, yet no European or UK release.

Last edited: