Miracle of Sound: Calamity (Bastion)

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
wow, this is just great!

I know you probably get told this a lot, but you are awesome!
Your music is beautiful and my week is always always made better by it.

Thank you!

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Well, since I haven't played (and probably won't) Bastion, I can only judge this song on its own merits.
My consensus of it is that it's awesome. Very awesome. Yeah, you can tell I'm not a huge expert of music. But still, I think it's very good, for whatever it's worth. Also, good to hear a more vocal song from you for a change, since I find your voice to be quite amazing.
This just makes me more sad that I can't go to the Escapist Expo.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
As it usually is with your songs.
Haven't played the game, only heard about it(I am no the escapist duurrrhhh) but still liked the song.

Only thing I got confused about was that Justin was the one who published it here.
Was looking for your signature so didn't listen immediately as I didn't see "MiracleofSound" anywhere xD

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Really amazing song, it felt like one of those that wasn't forced you know?

My only criticism would be when you added that bridge where you mimicked the narrators voice, it sounded way too quiet, his voice was always loud and noticeable.

As soon as I can, it's going straight into my favourites list.

Mamzelle_Kat

Aug 23, 2010
Ooooh I love how you handled the instruments on this one. The track sounds like something that could be found on the OST! Overall, I find it represents really well the spirit of the game.

Good job! :D

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Beautiful song for a beautiful game. Still, it is a little disappointing that the song is missing that slight western touch that pervades the entire game.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Ooh, man that's tasty. And it makes me want to play Bastion again, which is never a bad thing. Very close feel to the actual game, for awhile there, too. Another hit? Yes, I think so.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Really amazing song, it felt like one of those that wasn't forced you know?

My only criticism would be when you added that bridge where you mimicked the narrators voice, it sounded way too quiet, his voice was always loud and noticeable.

As soon as I can, it's going straight into my favourites list.
Is that what the whispery parts were? Yeah, I didn't get why that was needed and to not just sing it at normal tone. But This song was great. It had a nice beat and rhythm and reminded me of your Prince of Persia and 1st Assassin's Creed songs. Now I kinda want to play the game!

captcha: Choose DISH
Why don't you MAKE me?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The instrumental part is fantastic and fits perfectly with the rest of the game's soundtrack. The voice just doesn't fit the tone of the game at all though. The lyrics are great too. The voice just doesn't fit the tone of the game at all though. Some of the lower parts sound close to fitting but the rest just doesn't fit. The higher whispery parts were perhaps the most out of place. In those parts it almost sounded like you were making a parody rather than a tribute.

Sorry, I'm normally a big fan of your work but this just didn't do it for me.

Carbonyl

Jun 2, 2011
I'm not sure I like this one, the last few actually have had this same vocal-y thing, where you have a bunch of your voices all weirdly laid over each other and I felt like it would have sounded better with just one voice instead of the group of them.

King British

Apr 15, 2010
"You can't fix a broken heart in a couple of days, so bring it back or start anew"

What a lyric, the whole song is excellent but that line in particular stands out as a great piece of songwriting. It fits the themes of the game, makes perfect sense to anyone unfamiliar with Bastion and has a very nice ring to it too... Kudos

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Brilliant work, another stunning piece of music! I love the multiple vocal layers and the way they gradually build and come together at the end. A nice way to reference the rebuilding of a world, if it was the given intention.

Rtoip

Jan 15, 2011
I understand wanting to one's own style but after the intro I expected something more reminiscent of the original soundtrack. The vocals don't really fit the tone (except the part sung in a low voice) and the "Backtrack(..)Keep you on the right side" and "Cloudburst(..)Knuckles of your own hand" where too much of a shift in style and felt horribly out of place.

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
For the first time listening to one of your songs I was a little dubious going into this one, since the Bastion soundtrack is my absolute favourite. However, once again, you've taken the essence of the game (or film) and put your own stamp on it in a way which is reminiscent of the source but still feels fresh. I LOVE this - from the intro which really sounds like it's straight from the game, the awesome chorus, the gravelly vocals... Great work sir!

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Aahhh...from the intro I loved how the music meshed with the OST of the game, though by the end it felt like it had strayed a bit away form the style (the acoustic instruments were a bit drowned out under all the layers). Lyrics are kinda weird, not sure I'm convinced about them, really. But then again, with you Gavin it's always cut above the average, so it's no small feat to consistently put out quality material.

PS: I'm quite sure Justin had a blast putting together this video, seeing as he couldn't stop gushing about this game (and I agree it deserved the praise).

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
amazing song but it feels almost unfair to attache more great music to bastion, stat making all the AAAs jealous.