Miracle of Sound: Calamity (Bastion)

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Very nice, capturing the feel/sound of the game whilst still making it very much your own.
I've got a lot of your songs to catch up on, and this song made me motivated to do so.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I'm actually kind of fascinated that people found this as being too different than the game's soundtrack. One of the aspects I loved most about Bastion's soundtrack was how eclectic it was, there were a lot of different elements and genre's at play in there.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Great song! I really like how it fits with "genre" of the OST but still has that Miracle of Sound feel. I'll need to let it marinate with further listening before I can speak to the nuances of it, but it's really impressive. I especially like the harp? at the beginning. It leads into the song very well and sorta of reminds me of the intro to Sovngarde song.

This isn't related to this song in particular, but do you write the lyrics and the music together, or do you write one first then fit the other to it?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well for me I think my favorites were the Mass Effect 2 and 3 songs (Normandy, and Take It Back...) and oddly enough "The Grind" for Gears Of War 3 even if I don't play GoW. This one was okay, but won't stand out as one of my favorites.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Almost as good as the actual game soundtrack and that's no insult :D I loved the guitar twangs in there and the Bastion voice.

But all the props have to go to the lyrics here.
'You can't fix a broken heart
In a couple of days
So bring it back or start anew'

'You'll learn your history
So steeped in shame
You'll feel the guilt of
The ones to blame'

'Turnin' back is bound to be
Just another calamity'

Also was the last verse and the first verse being the same a very deliberate decision? (And if so it works brilliantly as an opening and an end that's an opening, plus the way it takes from the line in Bastion that does that. Which you know I guess because you wrote it as that. Oh look I'm gushing.)

EDIT: That intro is so good :D And I just happened to start playing Bastion again yesterday (although that was partly your fault, someone was hinting it at you in a comments thread and that got 'Build That Wall' stuck in my head, until eventually I had to play the game again)

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Thank you so much Gavin I've been waiting for you to do Bastion for so long and I am SO not disappointed.
One, you got the feel of the soundtrack style music; that eclectic mix of guitars and electric stuff and everything. And then when you started singing you sounded like Rucks (The Narrator) at first, not sure whether or not that was intentional but it works excellently. Then you've got the actual lyrics which seem to simultaneously describe the the story and its progression, and also the mechanics and weaponry.
In short you're excellent and so is the song. I fucking love it. Thank you so damn much. I really ought to apologise for being so ridiculous but hot damn I'm excited and happy and I just love the song.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
I'm surpised you dared to touch one of the best gaming soundtracks out there, and you did a damn good job of it. A lot of the same notes as Bynn the Breaker, but different enough that its your own. And it sounds amazing. Well done!

Also, how good is Bastion? :D

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
I'm really digging that deep, smooth voice--really reminiscent of Sweet L.A.--and the quick switch to a softer, raspier voice works really well. Add that to the ridiculously catchy melody and the ending with the overlapping vocals being just perfect, and this song is amazing.

Although I've gotta say, every time I heard the line, "So bring it back or start anew." I heard it as "So bring it back or start a new..." and kept expecting something after it, haha!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I liked it! My favourite from the last few songs you`ve put out. I actually had Bastion, but never really started playing it, even tho I`ve seen so much positive stuff being said about the game. So the heck with it, I´ll just start the download on Steam.

Freddyqaqualung

Nov 16, 2010
I've never listened to anything that MiracleOfSound has put out before. Thankfully, I've corrected that mistake.
Seriously, this is great. I keep replaying it over and over...

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I'm only 20 seconds in to my first play of the song and im already certain it is going to be awesome....
2 minutes in, does sounds like it could have been part of the sound track to this game (that is a really big compliment the sound track was brilliant)... Just finished the song, i was right awesome, Hoping it will go up on band camp reasonably soon as i get paid tomorrow and im quite excited as im falling behind on the songs. Plus i think a very good attempt at being the narrator, pulled it off well.

Gets in my top 3.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Well, I don't try to copy the soundtrack of the game, that's the thing. I take elements that stood out to me (the acoustic guitar strumming, the Bjork 90s style drumbeats, the stabbing staccato strings, the vaguely Eastern sounding Ura instruments) and put into my own style :)
Was the musical style and tone from Bastion hard to create? I love Bastion's music but I've never heard that style of music before so I'm curious if you had trouble creating this song that that way.

Very well done by the way.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
*Drooling*

..Ah.. Bastion..

!

Oh, sorry, I was just entranced at how good this song is. Good work as always!

*Continues to drool*

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Excludos said:
I'm surpised you dared to touch one of the best gaming soundtracks out there, and you did a damn good job of it. A lot of the same notes as Bynn the Breaker, but different enough that its your own. And it sounds amazing. Well done!

Also, how good is Bastion? :D
Really good. It is just so amazing. The gameplay gets really fun once you have a couple of good weapons. Plus the soundtrack is beautiful, and the story is very touching. Oh and the Narrator is brilliant. I really don't think they got much wrong with bastion. It is completely worth all $15. There is even a new game +. I don't know how many hours it will take you seeing as I ddin't get it on steam.

Good song Gavin. It was good but it didn't top Rise or Jokers song. It is in my top 10 though. for me your sons are:
1. Rise
2. Joker's song
3. Black Gold
4. Sovngare Song
5. Calamity
6. Trip to Vegas
7.Legends of the Frost
8. Kajiit like to sneak
9. Nord Mead
10. Suck at COD

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Well, I don't try to copy the soundtrack of the game, that's the thing. I take elements that stood out to me (the acoustic guitar strumming, the Bjork 90s style drumbeats, the stabbing staccato strings, the vaguely Eastern sounding Ura instruments) and put into my own style :)
Was the musical style and tone from Bastion hard to create? I love Bastion's music but I've never heard that style of music before so I'm curious if you had trouble creating this song that that way.

Very well done by the way.
No, this was by far one of the easiest, most natural songs for me to write/create :)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Carbonyl said:
I'm not sure I like this one, the last few actually have had this same vocal-y thing, where you have a bunch of your voices all weirdly laid over each other and I felt like it would have sounded better with just one voice instead of the group of them.
Last few? All my songs are layered. Might wanna either get used to it or stop listening cause it ain't going anywhere.

King British said:
"You can't fix a broken heart in a couple of days, so bring it back or start anew"

What a lyric, the whole song is excellent but that line in particular stands out as a great piece of songwriting. It fits the themes of the game, makes perfect sense to anyone unfamiliar with Bastion and has a very nice ring to it too... Kudos
That's my favourite line in the song actually. I like how it opens it up to people who have not played the game but also makes sense in the context of Zulf and the Ura

PureIrony said:
Beautiful song for a beautiful game. Still, it is a little disappointing that the song is missing that slight western touch that pervades the entire game.
Never really stood out for me to be honest. I focused on the parts that jumped at me, such as the beats, guitars, strings etc.... also I didn't want to mimic a certain song from the game too closely ;)