Miracle of Sound: Call of Home (The Hobbit Song)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Call of Home (The Hobbit Song)

Through river, root and stone. The distant call of home.

Watch Video

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Beautiful song. Now I'm psyched up for a Desolation of Smaug song! I hope you don't leave us waiting a year for that D:

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
The song was so long and varied it was like a journey unto its own!

I assume it was longer to match the length of the film? Maybe?

Good song, It's not quite my cup of tea, I prefer your more electronic songs. City of Night, Roll out, etc., but I do like it.

That obviously wouldn't really fit very well here though :)

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
loved the contrast between the characters here, you really seem to just 'get' the more orchestral compositions (you died is still one of my favourites)

smaug was really quiet though, was expecting him to have a loud, deep, growly section just for the word burn, seeing as you tried to get the tone of voice for all the other characters.

still, awesome song anyway!

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
This was beautiful. If I have one complaint it's that I feel you almost gave us a medley of five songs I'd really want to have full versions of. Great work

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Three songs and an album and January's not even ended yet, you're spoiling us. :D

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
You went through about everything in the film here, neat mood.. Uh.. Balance? Dunno what to call it..

I just miss a jolly ol' wacky goblin tune, hehe.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Beautifully done, Gavin. You knocked this one out of the park.

Very much like a heart-felt tune the dwarves themselves would sing.

I tip my hat to you.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Cool.

Kinda reminds me of a mix between Irish folk music and Enya.
Not sure what happened around the 3.40 mark, went kinda strange there.
That reminds me more of what happens around the 3.40 mark of Sacred Power Of The Raging Winds by Rhapsody (of Fire)

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
^_^ Cheers to another emotionally gripping song Mr.Dunne!

I always like your more somber music when it comes to the tune and lyrics, they are always the most captivating to me.
Doubt this is one you'll singing at the next escapist expo(sadly but understandably) but it's certainly one i'll listen to more often.

So thank you.

KR4U55

Mar 12, 2012
Smokin' hot song! It was amazing. I wonder how would Gavin do as a short film, or even a feature-length film.

I hope he comes up with more epic orchestral songs.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Sounds good.
There's only one thing that kind of ruins it.
Autoplaying audio containing ads.
Can't we just agree to have no more than 1 audio source on a page playing at a time?

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
Beautifully paced and excellently delivered... very appropriate for the film, just not my cup of tea, somehow.
Oh well, beggars can't be choosers; may as well buy it anyway, for completeness' sake!

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Still can't help but compare it to other songs based on Tolkien.
Not really helpful since that simply means comparing you to Blind Guardian.
And in that comparison.... yeah, the Germans win.
Nightfall In Middle Earth is such a great album.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Great song and great lyrics Gav. That double s in darkness/carcass really evokes Gollums voice. It's preciousss :p

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Absolutely incredible, dude.

I'm reeling from the achievement that was Vistas, but you follow it up with this and send me flat on my ass again.

Amazing balance between all the movements, dude! Absolutely love it :)

Great video from Justin, too!

EDIT:

Oh, almost forgot, was that your friend Lorna doing the female vocal at the Rivendell section?

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
It is a very nice song. The gollum part of the song Is my favorite part of the song and it would be nice if there was a song made just for the character. I don't expect to happen but it would be cool if you did make such a song.

I have not seen the hobbit movies but I did see the lord of the rings movies. It does kinda feel lord of the ringish.