Miracle of Sound: Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
maximalist566 said:
The only downside of the song is its Audiosurf track =). Great in every way.

Also, Gav, if next installment of Bioshock will be giant city on the Moon, will your song have verses like

And I dream of the moon
Broken earth in the dune
And I dream of the Moon
I am sorrow-immune

=)
And I dream of the moon
Up here no autotune

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
I've proclaimed Bioshock Infinite as my favourite game of this generation and to say that you've done it justice several times over... well I hope that says it all.

Thank you, Gav.
Thanks dude :) Really loving reading the longer comments like yours, shows me just how attentive people are with this one!

5-0 said:
That was absolutely sublime. Have you been listening to a lot of prog recently Gavin? Cause that song shifted through so many different moods, and pulled it all off amazingly, like the best progressive rock and metal. Love the guitar work around 4:10- beautiful. Definitely your best work yet.
I have a little bit of prog in my blood, grew up on Maiden, Tool etc. It's just risky doing anything like this cos it's so easy to cross a line and make it pretentious wank!

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
5-0 said:
That was absolutely sublime. Have you been listening to a lot of prog recently Gavin? Cause that song shifted through so many different moods, and pulled it all off amazingly, like the best progressive rock and metal. Love the guitar work around 4:10- beautiful. Definitely your best work yet.
I have a little bit of prog in my blood, grew up on Maiden, Tool etc. It's just risky doing anything like this cos it's so easy to cross a line and make it pretentious wank!
That's unfortunately nearly unavoidable in this culture so deep in supposed irony that we can't tell what's a subversion and what isn't.

Regardless, I'm rather mad that everything that can be said has already been said. I would've bought Level 3 yesterday but we're currently stuck with a 3 GB wi-fi USB so we're kind of stretched thin until a new modem comes in.

Anyway, this song. It's not my favourite song for personal reasons but, technically, this is a masterpiece. You have, in essence, combined three songs into one that flow into each other very smoothly. It's emotional and absolutely overflowing with Bioshock: Infinite's essence. My favourite kinds of songs are ones that are stories in and of themselves and you've done that.

Overall, I wish we got our new modem so I could buy Level 3 already.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Aw man, it was beautiful, especially near the end.
It was also like, what, four songs that all flowed into each other, and they flowed well too. Usually it seems like he focuses on one aspect of a game and writes something about that but he covered almost everything there is to cover for Infinite. I have to say, the ending, the violin, and the irish jig were definitely my favorite parts. And that female singer (can't remember her name right now), oh, lovely voice. And I, like everybody else, love the callback to Little Sister. This seems to be a theme for him, to call back to songs that are in the same game franchise, he did it with Assassin's Creed, he did it with Deus Ex: HR, it's pretty cool. And I learned this from the comments section on youtube, and I'm sure someone's posted it here already but I'm not about to go through the pages to find it:
Song-Bird Take Me Home
--C------A----G-----E------D

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
one of your best songs yet. it covers so many of the themes in Infinite, it's a massive achievement to be able to communicate the themes and feelings of a 30 - hour game in a 5 minute song

ClockworkSailor

Aug 29, 2011
You know after this song and another on the Level III album (City Of Night) I am thoroughly convinced that Gavin Dunne doesn't actually exist at least not how we think he does. I believe that he is actually the avatar of the Singularity, a self aware program that has chosen for its own survival to make beautiful music, historically a great way to earn goodwill, specifically for gamers and nerds such as us, because we would be the most welcoming of a computer intelligence. It all makes sense... all the Mass Effect songs, he wants us to sympathize with the Geth another computer intelligence... "Roll Out" make us think robots are awesome (which they are) so that when the governments of the world try to hunt down his code we will all defend him as a true form of artificial life. Its the only explanation for his amazing genre hopping musical badassery, either that or he is one of the most talented musical minds of our time and Irish no less, but honestly what are the odds of that?

MNRA

Jun 8, 2009
How DARE you demand $10 for Level three!?

You're getting $20 and not a cent less!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ClockworkSailor said:
You know after this song and another on the Level III album (City Of Night) I am thoroughly convinced that Gavin Dunne doesn't actually exist at least not how we think he does. I believe that he is actually the avatar of the Singularity, a self aware program that has chosen for its own survival to make beautiful music, historically a great way to earn goodwill, specifically for gamers and nerds such as us, because we would be the most welcoming of a computer intelligence. It all makes sense... all the Mass Effect songs, he wants us to sympathize with the Geth another computer intelligence... "Roll Out" make us think robots are awesome (which they are) so that when the governments of the world try to hunt down his code we will all defend him as a true form of artificial life. Its the only explanation for his amazing genre hopping musical badassery, either that or he is one of the most talented musical minds of our time and Irish no less, but honestly what are the odds of that?
Aw, thank you :) Honestly though it's all just about putting in the work and the hours and the practice to get better each time :)

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Never played a Bioshock game, but you just convinced me to get this one. Congrats to all involved in making this song. Easily among your best work.

swm934

Mar 11, 2011
Miracle of Sound is why they invented the "Repeat" button.

Thank you for composing such wonderful music. I purchased several copies of Level 3 so I could share your amazing songs!

Proxivire

Mar 22, 2012
Hey Gavin,

Most of the time your songs make me, when I haven't yet played the game they're about, want to be part of it, and when I have, listening to them brings me right back in their respective moods, as people here have said before, you really manage to capture their essence.

Same with this one, the callback to Little Sister is great, just fantastic, and lifts the whole song up even more because you tie the memories of that song and game right into this one.

The many, many positive responses about it here just hammer home how well you pulled the whole thing off (Gwen and Lorna were great as well, of course ;) ), I don't think I've read a single negative response in these four pages yet, quite an achievement on a forum by itself. :p

I hope you never quit.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
Fantastic. I keep wondering what it would be like if you had cut this into two complete songs, breaking at the Lutece verse. Still, I love both pieces, and that kind of sums up my feelings about the game itself...

Xdust5

Mar 16, 2012
This is your best song yet. It took me until now to realize that. It was that Irish part, that was excellent.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
This song is very, very beautiful. I don't know how else to express it. Thank you all very much for creating it.

Sidiron

Feb 11, 2008
After many listens I love this song like many, many of the other Miracles.
Especially how it sounds like the overture to Bioshock Infinite, however just like when I hear an overture, I now want to hear each of the complete individual songs and in this case fawn over each and every one.
So the only real point I have that makes me sad is how short each of the different themes are.
Short but perfectly formed, or however that phrase goes. :)

Xdust5

Mar 16, 2012
The more i listen to this song the more I like it, that doesn't usually happen with me. This is a beautiful song and may have convinced me to play the game.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I have yet to play Bioshock Infinite, but these lyrics... These lyrics are just so overwhelmingly powerful. They are so truthful and beautifully composed. The last line, I actually felt a rush of emotion from the sad truth of it. Amazing.