Miracle of Sound: Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Well Gavin, you win. Congratulations.

Let me explain: a few weeks ago, I had no idea who you were, even though I've been coming here for about three...maybe four years now. I knew that something called "Miracle of Sound" produced content for this site, but I mainly just stuck to the review videos and paid it no mind. It was just something that was there that other people apparently watched.

Then I noticed a new video called "The Halfman's Song," accompanied by a picture of good ol' Tyrion Lannister. This pegged my interest, as I've been thinking of checking out Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones for a while now, and have been hearing a lot about how awesome this dwarf character is. So I clicked on the video.

I was blown away. The song was incredible, as was the video. And it pushed me off the fence and convinced me to go buy the books and the DVDs, both of which I am now currently marathoning at the same time and absolutely loving.

Then, not too long after, I saw another video from you had come up. This one, to be exact. And given the hype for Bioshock Infinite I had been hearing, I figured I might as well check this one out too.

If anything, it blew me away even more than Halfman's Song did. This song is...well, next to perfect. This drove me to go check out your other videos, which in turn led me to stumble across Calamity, and being the huge Bastion fan that I am, I had to go see if it was any good.

That little beauty did it for me. I now have Levels 1-3 purchased off of iTunes and have been listening to them for the last couple of days. And I love them.

So, congratulations, Gavin. You made a fan out of me. Of both yourself and George R. R. Martin. Thank you.

Also, it should be noted that by sheer coincidence, my sister gave me Bioshock Infinite for my birthday mere days after seeing the video, so now I get to see the context for all those scenes. Woot!

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

And I dream of the sky, broken clouds drifting by.

Watch Video
I feel kinda awkward asking that so late after you released this song but...giving the theme of the song (and the game) and this very...particular structuring of the song....Gavin, is this maybe your personal "Stairway to Heaven"?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I still have no idea what the feck Bioshock: Infinite is really about, but this song is just superb! Blending in different styles and vocal varieties, and that call back to "Little Sister"? Brilliant!

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
The Beatles had "A Day In The Life," Queen had "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Radiohead had "Paranoid Android." Now Gavin has "Dream of the Sky." It takes balls to even attempt a song of this magnitude and you actually pulled it off. Sir, I applaud your talent.

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

And I dream of the sky, broken clouds drifting by.

Watch Video
I don't mean to sound like a fawning sycophant, but I have no words for how good this song is. Ever since I first heard it, I kept coming back to it regularly and, every time I did, I had to stop whatever else I was doing just to truly listen to it and appreciate it. It's wonderfully complex, fits the game perfectly and at the same time, brings me back to the first time I heard Little Sister 2 years ago.

I first heard Little Sister just after I began seeing my future wife and just before my father was diagnosed with cancer. I first heard Dream of the Sky just after I proposed and just before my father died. Whenever I hear it, it brings me back to June '11, when everything in my life was better and at the same time, reminds me that even when things are terrible, something wonderful can still be waiting just around the corner.

To borrow a well used cliché, your music, and this song in particular, has been with me and got me through some very difficult times; I thought that you should know how important what you do has been to me and, I'm sure, to many others as well.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
colostomizer said:
To borrow a well used cliché, your music, and this song in particular, has been with me and got me through some very difficult times; I thought that you should know how important what you do has been to me and, I'm sure, to many others as well.
That was lovely to read, some powerful stuff. So very glad the song could be such an active part of your life in a similar way to what I find my favorite songs do. Was just listening back to it tonight and yeah, it really has some great moments. very proud of this song. Hope 2014 is a great year for you :)