Miracle of Sound: Hell In The Headspace (Dead Space 3)

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
How in hell can you make a song so awesome about such bland game what kind of wizard are you Gav? It must be the legendary goat wizard.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Damnit Gav, I always love it when you're channelling NIN. :D

Fantastic, love the song already.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Damn... Now I have yet another song that I can't play any Dead Space game without having constantly stuck in my head.

Fatheadicus

Mar 16, 2009
Hey Gav,

I heard a Rob Zombie sound in that intro. I agree with the 90s electronics sound as well.

Nicely done.

herbortamus

Aug 25, 2011
Wow, I was thinking NIN too. I came here to say that, but a ton of people beat me to it. I love early NIN, so I loved this song. It is definitely one of your best.
Great job!!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
xplosive59 said:
Channeling early Nine Inch Nails on this one, eh Gav? The layering in this track was lovely, so busy but subtle at the same time.
Nice that you noticed, that riff actually has like, 9 layers of synth & guitar in it, all built up together to one big fuzzy ass mess of distortion and noise :D

colostomizer said:
I was wondering when we'd get a DS3 song!
For some reason though, I've got the urge to play... Quake 2...
*cough*NIN*cough*
*cough*Sonic Mayhem*cough*

:-D
NIN, yeah defo, big time. Dunno who Sonic Mayhem are though :D

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
Did this song flow and felt easier or more natural then other songs? I have this impression it may have been, despite your current condition.
Quite the opposite actually, this one was very problematic and I had to scrap two complete songs and start over due to them being not up to scratch.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Did this song flow and felt easier or more natural then other songs? I have this impression it may have been, despite your current condition.
Quite the opposite actually, this one was very problematic and I had to scrap two complete songs and start over due to them being not up to scratch.
Oh wow, that's surprising. I really liked this one though, so I hope it feels it was worth it :D

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
So as usual, I open the video in a new tab while I wait for the ad to be done. Then at about the 5 second mark, the song really kicks in, catching me completely off guard as I shout "Jesus ****ing Christ what is this?!" in confusion.

And then I began snapping my fingers, loving the song the whole way through. Feels so different compared to the songs I've heard. Good job Gav!

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
Holy balls that was great. It reminded me alot of an NIN or Rob Zombie song. Great work Gav.

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
I really, really like this song. I love how it sounds and I love how different it sounds from Gavin's previous work (the stuff I've taken time to give a good listening to, anyway).

The lyrics give me such a case of chills it's almost harrowing. I think they may even capture the Lovecraftian inspiration of the game better than the actual game does. Love it.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
At first I didn't really like it, because it felt really unfocused to me. It felt like you took parts of three different songs and put those together, but for some reason I kept going back and now I am really loving this one.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
blackdwarf said:
At first I didn't really like it, because it felt really unfocused to me. It felt like you took parts of three different songs and put those together, but for some reason I kept going back and now I am really loving this one.
Yes I think the structure in this song needs a few listens in order to become familiar with it, before the dynamic becomes clear to the listener. Usually my songs have a much more straightfoward structure.

I.e. It's a bit convoluted but for a reason :)

EdwardGein

Mar 2, 2010
I experienced the same thing many others did apparently.

At first, I didn't like it that much. Then I remembered the tone of the game, the pacing and at that point it suddenly made sense. As far as I can see it, the aprupt difference between hectic, dirty, creepy at first, then in the refrain structured, heavy, reactional to the first one, then the slow insightful pause between the action to catch your breath, then it repeats, but with more visual/songtext focus on Isaacs internal struggle than the obvious infestation from the outside.

Okay, that may be interpreting too much into something, but when I noticed this, it somehow made so much sense, and I don't think there could've been a better song for this game series. Well done!

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
Did anyone else hear shades of Rob Zombie in this? Or am I the only one?

Not a bad thing; just sayin. I love this one!