Miracle of Sound: His Father's Son (Assassin's Creed III)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
His Father's Son (Assassin's Creed III)

The winds that my father rode will never fill my sails.

Watch Video

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Funny, a few minutes before this was posted I was thinking when the next Miracle of Sound song would come out!
I really liked the song, the folk elements were awesome.

I'd love to hear more songs in this style.
Maybe you should start making folk metal. You're from Ireland, it's only appropriate!

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Have to say Gav, you've really created something special here. I am so glad that of all the things you could make a song about this game, you made it about my favourite part: the relationship between Connor and Haytham. Not only that, but the song captured the feel of Connor's background perfectly, from the Indian chanting, the revolutionary war marching drums/ pipes, the British sailor feel with the rhythm and bagpipes, it all just melded together beautifully.

The reprisal of the Blood of the Creed section was great too, as it showed that, despite the conflict Connor feels earlier on in the song between his father's culture, his mother's culture, and the Revolutionary American Army, that his ultimate allegiances lie with the assassins, and that is what prevails at the end of the song.

Well done Gav, this was a hell of a great song.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I see what you did there at 2:19 :3
(that was also an awesome song)

Quite good; I've always felt that Gavin had trouble capturing the spirit of the Assassin Creed games, Shadows of The Moonlight was probably the one that felt most like it was part of the sound track, and in this(in that group of songs) is on the same level, if not better.

It was a bit strange how most of the video consisted of naval missions, but I guess that it was the most defining aspect of the game, nothing wrong with it, just a bit strange.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
If only the game could have expressed these parts of its own story half as well as this song does...

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
I paused Burrito Bison for this!

Has this been posted elsewhere before? I'm sure I've heard it before, not something similar, this exact song. Or have I just become that precognitive?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I haven't played Ass Creed 3 because I became disillusioned by the franchise after Revelations... but hell if this beautiful song doesn't just make me want to play it! Fantastic as usual Gav, glad to see you're still on top form.

Telasro

Apr 29, 2010
04whim said:
I paused Burrito Bison for this!

Has this been posted elsewhere before? I'm sure I've heard it before, not something similar, this exact song. Or have I just become that precognitive?
The second to last verse (Musket guns & silver slivers...etc) is from Blood of the Creed, a song he put on Youtube, don't think he put it on the Escapist

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
This one was already on Spotify like 3 weeks ago. Don't depend your $0.007 from me listening to it all in one place.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
That, was, beautiful!

I must admit I am slightly surprised though, I seem to recall you saying this game was a disappointment to you? I figured you wouldn't make a song about it.
Nevertheless! Amazing work, as expected!

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I really liked assassins creed 3 until it turned into "MERRICAH!!! **** YEAH!!!" the game
I'm sorry but i don't have allot of interest in a patriotic wank fest especially with all the rampant ahistoricism i.e. completely glossing over the atrocities the Native Americans suffered and how 25 % of the colonists were loyalists.
It may change later in the game but i just got sick of it.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I don't know why, but your Assassin's Creed songs never seem all that great to me. I should like them, since they mix different rhythms and elements, and that is something I enjoy in music. I also know it's not because I don't play the games, since you've done songs about other games I haven't played which I found amazing. Little Sister finally made me play Bioshock. Meh, it's a mystery. I see there are people who do enjoy them, so that's always good.

EDIT: Completely unrelated. I'm replaying Alice: Madness Returns in stereo 3d. It's awesome. I'd like to hear your take on weird,disturbing, but beautiful games like this one.

TheBestPieEver

Dec 13, 2011
This song makes me so sad. I see the visuals and I hear the unique rhythm and I can't help but feel that this has to be an awesome game. Yet It is a complete piece of crap. I listen to your words about Connor's story and I can't help but to think it interesting and engaging, yet it was done so poorly that any level of engagement I had with the game vanished after the time you board the ship with Haytham (Which was the only part of the game I enjoyed). Great song, but it only makes it all the more painful that AC3 was such a chore to get through.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
While I'm really torn about the game - it was, from a gameplay point of view, as much fun as any of them, but I didn't care for the setting or the protagonist at all - this is probably my favourite AssCreed song of them all. At least it's a tie between this and Shadows, with Shadows having an unfair advantage because it's about Ezio. As opposed to RatonhnhaBLEH:ton. Who, on the other hand, at least had a fun father.

Well, anyway. You continue to amaze, sir. I'll be over at bandcamp then, must have this.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I love your newer more experimental approach to your songs' sound and structure. I like how this went from a more folk-y style chanting and then more like a sea shanty. I smiled at the Blood of the Creed snippet, too.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
That was pretty damn cool. That native American vibe was quite lovely.
The part you took from one of your previous songs was sweet, as well.
So, yeah. Very enjoyable indeed, and you did a great job!

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
Wow, this is some seriously impressive stuff. Loved the way you managed to seamlessly blend an almost sea shanty type feel to what I feel to be Native American folk, which is excellent. Very compelling. I feel like this might be the next "Breaking Down the Borders" for me, that I listen to twenty-six times over the next few days.

Phenomenal work as always, Gav!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Roelof Wesselius said:
I really liked assassins creed 3 until it turned into "MERRICAH!!! **** YEAH!!!" the game
I'm sorry but i don't have allot of interest in a patriotic wank fest especially with all the rampant ahistoricism i.e. completely glossing over the atrocities the Native Americans suffered and how 25 % of the colonists were loyalists.
It may change later in the game but i just got sick of it.
How about a spoiler alert with that.
Just kidding.

Seriously though, I only just started the game and I was hoping that at least some of it was going to be shining a light on the whole "slave owners who wanted to be free" hypocrisy and the genocide of the natives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bPiM0fkqSo
America: You give us a color, we'll wipe it out.

Opportunity missed I guess...I'll still finish it. Does it at least look like the sequel will be in the French Revolution?

And yes the song is very cool. Sounds like Irish music...hey, technically all of Miracle's songs ARE Irish music.