Miracle of Sound: My Iron Skin (Iron Man)

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Great song. Having to follow up after 'Dream of the Sky' would not be an enviable position for anything, but I have a feeling this is going to be stuck in my head for a fair few days (in the good sense), so good effort.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
It's very reminiscent of Black Sabbath's Iron Man but it's still its own song. Sounds like it should be on the Iron Man 3 soundtrack.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Obviously a much different beast than your last song, but nonetheless, still extremely enjoyable, and definitely one to rock along to.

Fits in perfectly with the Ironman style.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ninjaRiv said:
It's very reminiscent of Black Sabbath's Iron Man but it's still its own song. Sounds like it should be on the Iron Man 3 soundtrack.
Yeah I was going for a mix of Sabbath & AC/DC and with a dash of Velvet Revolver to modern it up a bit :)

Got lots of new music gear this month so it was a fun song to play around with new compressors and things. Very happy with guitar tone & vocal clarity on this song

Larcenist

Apr 22, 2011
Having a very AC/DC-esque sound makes perfect sense for a song about Iron Man, and while I found myself thinking the length ratio netween verse and chorus could quite possibly result in a rather repetitive nature it only really served to get the song stuck in my head. It is also quite fitting for a heavier sound from say late 80's early 90's.

My biggest beef with this song is probably that it is lacking the dimensions to describe the complex character that is Tony Stark, especially since this is a song from his perspective.

It is a good song and I never say no to a heavier sound, but I think you just might've set my expectation standards incredibly high in regard to your capturing of the subject's essence (seeing as how you captured both the game and player perspective of Dark Souls perfectly, as well as managing to put the essence of Infinite in a 6½ minute song - something that makes me think Tony Stark could be well more elaborated upon in a Miracle of Sound song).

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
ninjaRiv said:
Yeah I was going for a mix of Sabbath & AC/DC and with a dash of Velvet Revolver to modern it up a bit :)

Got lots of new music gear this month so it was a fun song to play around with new compressors and things. Very happy with guitar tone & vocal clarity on this song
Listening again And I hear the Velvet Revolver, a little. You got it just right!

You can really tell you got some new toys, the sound is much better and it just sounds great over all. Your vocals are actually suited for the genre, too and there's an extra bit of rasp. It's nice, I like it. You made a sale, my good man. Again.

Speaking of which, I'm glad to hear there'll be a physical CD soon. Looking forward to that!

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
This track was good and it definitely nailed the vibe you were going for BUT it is really hard for me to listen to blues influenced hard rock like ACDC and Velvet Revolver nowadays because that is pretty much all I listened to as a kid, it just bores me now. That is not a problem with your track though, for someone who likes this kind of music it must be an absolute blast!

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
I liked it, you could do one for every avenger - maybe something like "Rolling Thunder" for Thor, "The Beast Within" for the Hulk, and well, I've got nothing for C. America

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
This song has given me such an insatiable urge to go rewatch Iron Man and The Avengers, and to go see Iron Man 3. I hope you're happy.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
ninjaRiv said:

Funny, cause for some reason I'm getting a ZZ Top feel out of it...

But I can see that mix.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Larcenist said:
It is a good song and I never say no to a heavier sound, but I think you just might've set my expectation standards incredibly high in regard to your capturing of the subject's essence (seeing as how you captured both the game and player perspective of Dark Souls perfectly, as well as managing to put the essence of Infinite in a 6½ minute song - something that makes me think Tony Stark could be well more elaborated upon in a Miracle of Sound song).
There's a double meaning to the lyrics - the 'Iron Skin' is actually about Tony trying to deal with anxiety attacks and how that contradicts his outwardly solid & composed nature. Might make a difference when you see it that way :)

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
MiracleOfSound said:
There's a double meaning to the lyrics - the 'Iron Skin' is actually about Tony trying to deal with anxiety attacks and how that contradicts his outwardly solid & composed nature. Might make a difference when you see it that way :)
I was about to post something similar regarding the lyrics but this makes sense. Tony doesn't deal with his anxiety, or does a very poor job of it, and hides behind his created persona. At first I thought you meant the iron skin was a new term for anxiety, which would have totally passed me by. It does mean more now; thanks for the clarification. (I should really know better than to take lyrics at face value after all these years!)

I know you've been working hard on this one for a while -- your Twitter can be telling -- and I think it paid off. Catchy tune, great vocals, great synthesis of sounds...it all meshses well. And, yes, the video pics for this one were amazing! I really want to go back through the movies and have another stab at them (even Iron Man 2). One of my personal favorites right now.

Apr 28, 2008
If there's one thing I love, it's a good rock song. And this is a damn good rock song.

Love it. very well done. Really wish this type of music was more prevalent, as it's my favorite type.

*sigh*

Larcenist

Apr 22, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Larcenist said:
Well then all I can do is clap and admit you got me good. Following Dream of the Sky I spent most focus on the music and didn't think three times about the lyrical wonders that you tend to pull as well. Keep up the great work!

Good thing even the captcha is taunting me now, calling me a "drum head".