Miracle of Sound: Nameless (Planescape: Torment)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Nameless (Planescape: Torment)

Life spins into ceaseless coils,
In constant toil we turn on torment's wheel.

Watch Video

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
It's been a long time since I played this one, this came out of the blue.

I always pushed my luck with the Lady of Pain, good times XD.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
To this day, the best story that has been told in an RPG.

Very nice work on the song. Particularly like how you replicated the sound of the original game's music; remove the lyrics from this and it would work extremely well as an instrumental piece in the game's soundtrack.

What can change the nature of a man?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Well. I suppose I'll be "that guy".

But I kind of find this one way too cheesy. Maybe because the experience of the game is downright impossible to compress into a song, this one simply doesn't relay the depth and harsh reality of the setting.

Props for actually trying, of course, just...I don't know, it just doesn't feel "right".

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Well guess you never know people... I never figured you for a Planescape guy Gavin. This is really good... like REALLY good.

This is one of those games that tells a story other mediums either can't do, or can but not nearly as well. Introspective narrative and its awesome. Great job.

Apr 28, 2008
For those who haven't played Planescape Torment and would like to, head on over to GoG and pick it up for $10!

http://www.gog.com/game/planescape_torment

Actually right now it's on sale for $6. So buy it quick!

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
The lack of a rhyme scheme was different, but it kinda fit.

And boy, is that beat creepy.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Planescape: Torment is one of those games that I will never forget. It's difficult for me to think about a game that impacted me on a more personal level than Torment. To this day I still remember the final battle and Morte's trick and I YELLED at the screen in anger and joy.
--------------------------------
An elderly man was sitting alone on a dark path. He wasn?t sure of which direction to go, and he?d forgotten both where he was traveling to?and who he was.

He?d sat down for a moment to rest his weary legs, and suddenly looked up to see an elderly woman before him.

She grinned toothlessly and with a cackle, spoke: ?Now your third wish. What will it be??

?Third wish?? The man was baffled. ?How can it be a third wish if I haven?t had a first and second wish??

?You?ve had two wishes already,? the hag said, ?but your second wish was for me to return everything to the way it was before you had made your first wish. That?s why you remember nothing; because everything is the way it was before you made any wishes.? She cackled at the poor man. ?So it is that you have one wish left.?

?All right,? he said hesitantly, ?I don?t believe this, but there?s no harm in trying. I wish to know who I am.?

?Funny,? said the old woman as she granted his wish and disappeared forever. ?That was your first wish??

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
TakerFoxx said:
The lack of a rhyme scheme was different, but it kinda fit.

And boy, is that beat creepy.
There is a rhyme scheme in the verses alright, but it's quite subtle. I'll put the rhymes in caps:

Ceaseless COILS
Constant TOIL
We turn on torment's WHEEL

Jealous MISStress
A KISS
You can't REPEAL

and

Bath in the LAKES of FIRE
The SNAKES and LIARS of
YORE
they WORE
your FACE

Friends on the path of KNOWING
Are GROWING
In your SPACE

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
There is a rhyme scheme in the verses alright, but it's quite subtle. I'll put the rhymes in caps:

Ceaseless COILS
Constant TOIL
We turn on torment's WHEEL

Jealous MISStress
A KISS
You can't REPEAL

and

Bath in the LAKES of FIRE
The SNAKES and LIARS of
YORE
they WORE
your FACE

Friends on the path of KNOWING
Are GROWING
In your SPACE
Unconventional rhyme scheme then. Gotcha. :)

And hey, I gotta ask. I haven't played Planetscape Torment (though it does look interesting), so I was wondering if the unorthodox structure is representative of something in the game, or if you just wanted to try something new.

silverhawk100

Dec 17, 2009
Website complaint: Can we get rid of the auto-play? It makes tabbed browsing of the escapist a pain. On a major video update day, I open 2 or 3 videos up in a new tab and before I'm done browsing the news section for the features I want to read, I have to go into the new tabs (after the ads play) and pause them AND then sometimes by the time that I get to some of them, the video will bug out and I have to refresh the page and "watch" the ad all over again.

It's an annoyance, and one that does not make me comprehend the video ads (as they are often playing over each other).

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Huh..what a coincidence, I just started playing Planescape Torment a few days ago for the first time.

Awesome song Gavin, song gave me some chills.

MarcellusMagnus

Jan 11, 2010
Heh, I didn't realize PS:T had 3 minutes worth of pre-rendered footage... I half expected the video to consist mostly of dialogue mode screens (because honestly, that's where most of the real action lies).

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
DarkhoIlow said:
Huh..what a coincidence, I just started playing Planescape Torment a few days ago for the first time.

Awesome song Gavin, song gave me some chills.
I just got this game, too! Can't believe it's 15 years old and I never played it before.

Tides of Numenera is shaping up to be pretty damned awesome. Hopefully, that'll get an equally kick-ass song some day, too.

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
You know, this song would be fantastic as an instrumental (not to say the vocals aren't top-notch... You cuold make twice the ca$h by selling the instrumentals on bandcamp, too!

Plus, off-topic, I'm super-impressed with The Call. Kudos on fitting in sooo much of TES into every single line

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
If it didn't have Torment in the name I would think that those lyrics were just something that a kid wrote on deviantart.