Miracle of Sound: The Best of Us (The Last of Us)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
The Best of Us (The Last of Us)

What would you give of yourself to be the best of us at last.

Watch Video

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know, despite your many previous successes, I did wonder whether you'd be able to match the feel of The Last Of Us...

I shouldn't have. Once again Gav, another fantastic song.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I'd like to make an artful comment describing why I like this song, but my knowledge on musical analysis is almost nonexistent.

Oh well. :) The song is great, and that's all I can say I guess.
Well done!

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
I think it would've worked better if you used your deep voice but it's good as it is. Did you choose a higher voice for a conscious reason?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Porecomesis said:
I think it would've worked better if you used your deep voice but it's good as it is. Did you choose a higher voice for a conscious reason?
Funny enough, it was originally lower but the deeper voice wasn't working :D I felt it carried more strained effort and therefore more passionate expression with the higher octave.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
It reminds me very much of Fiddler On The Green by Demons and Wizards (a project band, it's basically a combination between Blind Guardian and Iced Earth).

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Porecomesis said:
Funny enough, it was originally lower but the deeper voice wasn't working :D I felt it carried more strained effort and therefore more passionate expression with the higher octave.
It works well in the chorus. It's not particularly strained ? the start's a bit too quiet for that ? but it's definitely passionate all the way through. The strained part really comes into it later. Another good song; I'm just far too nitpicky (nitpickey?) for my own good.

If I have one more thing to nitpick, though, it's that the ending could be shortened. You definitely get across the feel of an almost eerily tranquil passing of a dying world with impressive ability; I just think it could be a bit shorter than that.

Any idea what you plan to make your next song on?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Porecomesis said:
If I have one more thing to nitpick, though, it's that the ending could be shortened. You definitely get across the feel of an almost eerily tranquil passing of a dying world with impressive ability; I just think it could be a bit shorter than that.

Any idea what you plan to make your next song on?
The length of the song was definitely something I was conflicted on. I felt the intro AND outro were too long for peoples' attention spans, as was the instrumental passage in the middle.

But then I just decided fuck it. I listen to music like this myself, it's exactly how I want to hear it and it doesn't feel too long to my own ears - every once in a while I gotta just make something that pleases me first and foremost ;)

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
ha, and you were worried about the reaction to this one last night...

really good track, i really like your songs which try to encompass the feels of different sections of the game (similar to dream of the sky). quite a credit being able to make a really gripping song with little to no repetition in it though

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
'Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of us?'... Oh wait wrong song.

I liked this track alot, it started off sounding like something off of Devin Townsend's Ki album and then developed into something that sounded like Faunts M3 part 2 (Mass Effect ending music). It felt alot shorter than it actually was, I think that is due to the structure of the song. The ending was nice, reminds me alot of Stars of The Lid but with a guitar parts that sounds like something off of OK Computer.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
I really liked the guitar playing here, and the way the layers of vocals and guitars worked to give a post rockish vibe. To be frank, it blew me away. Once again, I'd like to know if you have any particular influences on this one.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
MiracleOfSound said:
every once in a while I gotta just make something that pleases me first and foremost ;)
Surely that's how it should to be. I mean you're the only one who knows how it's supposed to sound right? It is coming from your head.

In a sense criticism is basically an in depth way of asking you "are you sure?" :)

OT: I absolutely love how subtle this song is. It's not in your face, and the effort required to really hear it is so damn rewarding. Wasn't sure why you made the vocals higher at first (I expected it to be deeper like porecomesis), but your explanation makes sense.

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
This is quite possibly one of your better songs. It is just an incredible job full stop. Incredible job Gavin.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
T0ad 0f Truth said:
MiracleOfSound said:
every once in a while I gotta just make something that pleases me first and foremost ;)
Surely that's how it should to be. I mean you're the only one who knows how it's supposed to sound right? It is coming from your head.

In a sense criticism is basically an in depth way of asking you "are you sure?" :)
To some degree yes, but on the other hand I won't ever get better if I ignore criticism. That would be hubris. Not everyone has the same attention span for the same types of sounds that I have!

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
MiracleOfSound said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
MiracleOfSound said:

To some degree yes, but on the other hand I won't ever get better if I ignore criticism. That would be hubris. Not everyone has the same attention span for the same types of sounds that I have!
^pretty much that too.

Work is never done when it comes to "getting it right" I guess.

So, in another sense criticism is kind of "These bits don't quite fit. Pay attention!" as well. XD

...Now, which criticisms and critics listen to eh? XD

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
That was Grand. It reminded me of the game's soundtrack at times, the masterfully done intro and ending especially. I've noticed that Justin didn't make the video on this one. Has this happened before on occasion and I just haven't been paying attention? Nevertheless, the video itself was still great, my sheer curiosity simply compensates for my lack of words. Truly great work.

Briney-

Jul 13, 2011
Beautiful song, Gavin. Great atmosphere. Reminded me a lot of Katatonia, especially the haunting melodies.