Miracle of Sound: The Day the World Died (Metro: Last Light)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
The Day the World Died (Metro: Last Light)

The day the world died, nothing was learned.

Watch Video

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
This is probably one of the strongest lyrics you've written, Gav. Incredibly impressed!

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
Awesome work Gav, this really conveys the tone of the game (2033 at least, haven't played Last Light yet). I don't think there will be anyone saying "it doesn't suit the games", cos this has a similar style to the soundtracks. I especially like the part where the drums kick in, that just brings it all together for me.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, I liked it.

Huh. Y'know, it's times like this that I regret not knowing enough about music to be able to say anything more in-depth than, "Those noises made my ear-holes feel good."

Haven't actually got round to playing the game yet.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
That was very powerful and poignant. So close to finishing the game too.

Edit: For the curious, the russian lyrics roughly translate to "The day, when the world died."

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
I'd say this is one of your best. Not only is it a good song in it's own right but both the the music and lyrics capture the essence of Metro perfectly.

Bravo!

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
Quite chilling and beautifully, brutally Russian. A great song that doesn't need the context of a game to be great; this one rocks on its own. Props to Justin for cutting the video so nicely with the music.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
While I haven't played Last Light this does sound like it would fit in very well with Metro 2033 and I would assume the atmosphere hasn't changed too much.

Great song anyway.

Blind77

Jul 2, 2010
Two-A said:
For the curious, the russian lyrics roughly translate to "A day after the death of the world."
"The day, when the world died" would be a better translation.

Gavin never ceases to amaze. Great song, like the others.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Blind77 said:
Two-A said:
For the curious, the russian lyrics roughly translate to "A day after the death of the world."
"The day, when the world died" would be a better translation.

Gavin never ceases to amaze. Great song, like the others.
Thanks, I'll correct my post. :)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Gotta be honest here, the song didn't seem creepy enough to me.

There's something about travelling through huge, (almost) pitch black tunnels with those ambient sounds of wind and rustling and clanging metal, with the ever looming possibility of being attacked by rabid mutated animals that just creeps me the hell out.

It's still a fine song, and it captures the grand scheme quite nicely. But I think it's the little things that make Metro a great game.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Only played the first Metro game briefly, but I can still say with utter conviction that you captured the atmosphere of the world beautifully. What I like is that you had a song with similar subject matter with "Beauty Bleak", or at least with a similar setting, but you could really see the thought and effort put into each song that represented the tone of each game; Beauty Bleak is echoey and empty sounding, but with a sense of wonder and curious optimism, whereas this feels like a group of people sitting around a fire in the Metro, singing this song in a desperate attempt to escape their soul-destroying surroundings. The world of Metro seems densely populated (in the Metro settlements, at least), yet somehow even more empty than the DC wasteland, and this song embodies that fantastically.
Really loving the fine detail you put into these songs now that you have longer to work on them Gav; can't wait til the next one!

shadowslayer81

May 9, 2011
The music was wonderful, this is without a doubt one of those songs that I will be going back to listen.
Also props to Justin for that video, it was great as well.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Too similar to Halfman's Song in tone and melody for my taste in the first half, the change into a more synth driven track near the end was interesting though.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:

There's something about travelling through huge, (almost) pitch black tunnels with those ambient sounds of wind and rustling and clanging metal, with the ever looming possibility of being attacked by rabid mutated animals that just creeps me the hell out.

It's still a fine song, and it captures the grand scheme quite nicely. But I think it's the little things that make Metro a great game.
Well the song is not about rabid mutated animals and creepiness, it's about the inherent sadness of man's never changing violent nature and inability to learn from our mistakes. So not for one moment was it intended to try and sound 'creepy' as that is not the theme it focuses on.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Amazing. I really liked the tone, and while you enjoy it, I'm happy you didn't do what you usually do, and have three tracks of you singing at once. It works for certain songs, but I'm happy you went solo on this.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Well the song is not about rabid mutated animals and creepiness, it's about the inherent sadness of man's never changing violent nature and inability to learn from our mistakes. So not for one moment was it intended to try and sound 'creepy' as that is not the theme it focuses on.
I got that fairly quickly. It just didn't resonate with what I expected from a Metro song is all.

This is why it's best to go in with no expectations. I never learn from my mistakes ;)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I really liked the lyrics to this one, and it really does fit the mood of the song quite well.

I haven't played the game, but given how depressing the song is then the game's atmosphere is probably just as bleak.

I really enjoyed the song though.