Mirror's Edge 2 Appears on EA's Website

shadebreeze

Mar 12, 2008
I loved Mirror's Edge despite it being totally not the kind of game I usually play. It's weird, it's not even a great game technically, but I just loved it.

I really hope Mirror's Edge 2 is not an Xbone exclusive. I don't think it will be, it would be a bad marketing decision anyway, but if it is, I'm going to Sweden to punch the people at DICE. :) Assuming it's them making it of course, but actually, with EA, who knows? ... damn. And will it be ok? Will it suck? The more I think about it, the grimmer the prospects are. :)

EA, why are you so evil? Now people can't even have expectations for fear of them being crushed by reality! You took hope (AND FAITH!) away from us!!!

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Given how well it works with hacked support (It's design is about as perfect as any mainstream game gets for it), it would be cool if Mirror's Edge 2 had Occulus Rift support.

But... I'm not holding my breath here. It's still an open question if Mirror's Edge 2 even exists. XD - And the Rift, despite all the attention it's recieved is still very much a niche device at the moment.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
Well, that's it folks! That's confirmation.

CrystalShadow said:
And the Rift, despite all the attention it's recieved is still very much a niche device at the moment.
Rift support for an eventual Mirror's Edge 2 is very much a case of "if you build it, they will come". They (EA/DICE) don't even have to explicitly develop support for the Rift; As long as they don't actively and purposefully make it impossible, people will mod that shit in.

Of course, that all depends on a PC release.
UNHchabo said:
The NFS:Hot Pursuit from 2010 is my favorite racing game, and I was prepared to pre-order Most Wanted when it came out last year... until they announced it was Origin-exclusive on PC.
shiajun said:
It doesn't matter for me. As a PC gamer, I'm sure EA will tie the right now mythical Mirror's Edge 2 to Origin, and that's a deal-breaker for me right there and then.
Come on now! I'd take Origin a hundred times over the fucking XBone. Plus, while you could feel justified in not wanting to give EA any money, this should be an exception. Vote with your wallet and buy this game to let them know this is the kind of game we want them to make! DICE is a very talented studio that's been chained to Battlefield because that's the perceived "CoD-Killer".
I have voted with my wallet before even against my despise of EA: I bought Mirror's Edge AND Alice: Madness Returns because I like those type of games. But I have to draw the line somewhere. If I buy it I am sending the message that their service is not enough of a inconvenience if the game appeals to me. That's not the message I want to send. I may want the game, but I don't want Origin at all. I will not buy Mirror's Edge to state this prefrence AND send a letter to EA indicating my reason why. Therefore is not a "lost sale" due to pirating, or the game genre or whatever. I insist anyone who's against EA's pratices to do this. This way is clear why they are losing profit, and it's not up to speculation. Of course this all depends on two big ifs: that game will be released at all and that the game will be tied to Origin.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I really hope it's not exclusive to any system. I am sooo not into the Xbone, and it's not about any console warring.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
And it's going to be an Xbox One exclusive.

...Damn it.
That hasn't been confirmed yet.

OT: Honestly this new "lets play with our customers" advertising it turning me off the game rather than gain my interest, either announce the thing or shut up EA.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
And now we get a sequel to what was an interesting new IP at one point. If it sells well enough to green-light a third game, we will come full circle and people will ask why developers "never take chances on interesting new IPs."

Chalk me up as interested. I enjoy any game that lets me run and jump around like the first one.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
shiajun said:
I have voted with my wallet before even against my despise of EA: I bought Mirror's Edge AND Alice: Madness Returns because I like those type of games. But I have to draw the line somewhere. If I buy it I am sending the message that their service is not enough of a inconvenience if the game appeals to me. That's not the message I want to send. I may want the game, but I don't want Origin at all. I will not buy Mirror's Edge to state this prefrence AND send a letter to EA indicating my reason why. Therefore is not a "lost sale" due to pirating, or the game genre or whatever. I insist anyone who's against EA's pratices to do this. This way is clear why they are losing profit, and it's not up to speculation. Of course this all depends on two big ifs: that game will be released at all and that the game will be tied to Origin.
Origin really isn't that bad. At least not bad enough to boycott entirely. I mean, unless I've been indoctrinated through the internet by our almighty lord Satan EA into believing their heinous corporate manipulation.

EDIT: To clarify, having Origin be where you draw the line is like starting an anti-capitalist revolution because your change got stuck in a vending machine.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
EA, if you're reading this, then let me assure you that if I have the money, then I will purchase Mirror's Edge 2. The first one was flawed, yes, and in many ways, but flawed in a manner that can be fixed. Think about it, making a whole new-ish genre popular. Can you smell the money?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
RicoADF said:
V8 Ninja said:

...Damn it.
True, but EA's enthusiasm about the Xbox One and the listings that ONLY showed "Xbox" or "Xbox One" as the platforms for ME2 suggest to me that EA is solely targeting that platform, at least in terms of netting the most sales. Also, how am I supposed to trust EA to make a good decision on not limiting its audience? EA has become more unreliable than M'Aiq the Liar at making good decisions.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
RicoADF said:
V8 Ninja said:

...Damn it.
True, but EA's enthusiasm about the Xbox One and the listings that ONLY showed "Xbox" or "Xbox One" as the platforms for ME2 suggest to me that EA is solely targeting that platform, at least in terms of netting the most sales. Also, how am I supposed to trust EA to make a good decision on not limiting its audience? EA has become more unreliable than M'Aiq the Liar at making good decisions.
If they do it exclusive to the XBone then just don't buy the game, have some self control. Better still put on the EA forums why you didn't buy it, they listen to customers when money is involved. Treat them like a hungry dog and you've got a steak on the end of a stick.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
RicoADF said:
V8 Ninja said:
RicoADF said:
If they do it exclusive to the XBone then just don't buy the game, have some self control. Better still put on the EA forums why you didn't buy it, they listen to customers when money is involved. Treat them like a hungry dog and you've got a steak on the end of a stick.
I didn't mean to imply that I was going to buy Mirror's Edge 2 if it was an Xbone exclusive. I was merely showing my disapproval that it appears highly likely that ME2 will solely be for the Xbone, a console which I have no interest and even a little disdain for.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
I didn't mean to imply that I was going to buy Mirror's Edge 2 if it was an Xbone exclusive. I was merely showing my disapproval that it appears highly likely that ME2 will solely be for the Xbone, a console which I have no interest and even a little disdain for.
Ah very good, carry on then :)

OT: I seriously hope it will be a timed exclusive, see it flop on XBone then make record sales (compared to ME1) on PS4/PC, no sweeter victory if you ask me.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
It could be a very well orchestrated trolling. We saw it happen with HL3 so I'll take this information with a grain of salt until the game gets announced.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Phlakes said:
shiajun said:
Origin really isn't that bad. At least not bad enough to boycott entirely. I mean, unless I've been indoctrinated through the internet by our almighty lord Satan EA into believing their heinous corporate manipulation.

EDIT: To clarify, having Origin be where you draw the line is like starting an anti-capitalist revolution because your change got stuck in a vending machine.
To clarify on my behalf. Maybe Origin is not bad. I already have Steam. It's also not my ideal situation, but I already have too much money invested in Steam. I started using it when I had no other way to purchase the games I wanted. It's extremely difficult to find boxed copies of any PC game in my country, legitimally. I don't want to walk into another minefield of that kind, knowingly.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
UNHchabo said:
shiajun said:
It doesn't matter for me. As a PC gamer, I'm sure EA will tie the right now mythical Mirror's Edge 2 to Origin, and that's a deal-breaker for me right there and then.
Same.

The NFS:Hot Pursuit from 2010 is my favorite racing game, and I was prepared to pre-order Most Wanted when it came out last year... until they announced it was Origin-exclusive on PC.
I was offered a 50% deduction in price if I pre-ordered it on Origin... can you believe me when I said I still wasn't interested despite loving the crap out of Hot Pursuit?

Mirror's Edge 2 would be cool, but I agree with the others that it wont happen for me if it becomes a Xbone exclusive.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
DrunkOnEstus said:
Yes. Please let this be true, and please have it on PC again. That game was ideal for the "just needed some refinement of the mechanics and some opening up of the story/world" move. Andy's right though, all of this has to be on purpose. They know we bite at the heels with hope at little snippets of info like this.
Those refinements?

More shooting: We found that the game just wasn't shooty enough.
Focus on Multiplayer: The main campaign is now 1 hour long.

Presumably the protagonist is also now a white male and the primary color schemes of the game are blue and orange.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Well, that's it folks! That's confirmation.

CrystalShadow said:
And the Rift, despite all the attention it's recieved is still very much a niche device at the moment.
Rift support for an eventual Mirror's Edge 2 is very much a case of "if you build it, they will come". They (EA/DICE) don't even have to explicitly develop support for the Rift; As long as they don't actively and purposefully make it impossible, people will mod that shit in.

Of course, that all depends on a PC release.
Well... Yes, but if my experiences with the rift so far have taught me anything, is that modded/hacked support for the device has a lot of downsides to it.

The optimal case for how you design things like the UI, player movement and camera behaviour is vastly different for a good experience with a rift headset to what it is for gaming on a regular monitor. (or even a regular monitor with 3d support).

This becomes pretty apparent when you look at just how many things valve messed with to get the rift working even reasonably well in half-life 2. And that's still far from optimal even then.

Hacks and mods are reasonable as a fallback, but there are enough explicit design issues for working with the rift that no hacked game is going to be anywhere near as functional as one which was specifically designed with the possibility of being played in VR in mind.

It'll work, but it won't really show VR in the best light.
(I for one, get quite ill very quickly from seemingly fairly minor flaws. - I seem unusually vulnerable to that, but still, any device where getting the settings wrong can cause serious nausea has to be approached with a bit of caution.)