Mirror's Edge Goes Third-Person on PC

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Mirror's Edge Goes Third-Person on PC

Faith may be one of the best runners in the city, but she sure looks goofy doing it.

As with every major PC release, the first thing that most players want to discover are the kinds of modifications they can perform on the original source code of the game. While EA's parkour action title, Mirror's Edge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5497-Review-Mirrors-Edge], was released for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in November 2008, the PC version hit shelves only a few weeks ago. There hasn't been any major revelations from the mod scene so far, with the exception of being able to play the game outside of its original first-person trappings.

Obviously, the developers at DICE never intended for the game to be played this way, as Faith's actions -- powerful and extremely convincing while seen from her viewpoint -- appear absolutely ridiculous when viewed in their full glory. GameZine [http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/game-types/action/mirror-s-edge-third-person-view-activated-$1264156.htm] has all the details on how to turn your copy of Mirror's Edge into drunken, duck-running simulation.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
The problem is this is just a mod without all of the animations (it has some from cutscenes I imagine). There's other runners in the game who do most of the tricks Faith does, and it looks well. Look at the training during the game's intro, or some of the scenes where you have to chase another runner.

This video doesn't show animations anywhere near the other in-game runners. But, still interesting that it was done, and can be addressed if they felt like taking the time to do it right (i.e. mo-cap).

LoganAsh

Jul 7, 2008
PC release, IMO, is always the best option if you have the rig. The amount of replay value gained from the Mod community is almost endless!

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
She looks like the Time Trial Ghosts. Its probably the same animation given to her.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
I would like to immediately revise my opinion that Mirror's Edge would have been better if it took the Prince of Persia/Assassin's Creed approach and went with third-person. It did the exact opposite and in the process made the first three Tomb Raider games look graphically better in comparison.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
LesIsMore said:
I would like to immediately revise my opinion that Mirror's Edge would have been better if it took the Prince of Persia/Assassin's Creed approach and went with third-person. It did the exact opposite and in the process made the first three Tomb Raider games look graphically better in comparison.
I would like to re-word your quote and say it might have worked if they actually planned to do such a thing. Clearly, as you can see when she does a wall run, they never cared to animate her to a great degree because no one was going to see it (or so they thought)

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Kross said:
The problem is this is just a mod without all of the animations (it has some from cutscenes I imagine). There's other runners in the game who do most of the tricks Faith does, and it looks well. Look at the training during the game's intro, or some of the scenes where you have to chase another runner.

This video doesn't show animations anywhere near the other in-game runners. But, still interesting that it was done, and can be addressed if they felt like taking the time to do it right (i.e. mo-cap).
Not really, they really wanted to show the animations in the first person screen, and they had to deliberately make them unnatural so they'd show in first person.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
One of the first comments my Mirror's Edge loving friend said on initially playing it was "Her arms are wrong for the perspective, you shouldn't be able to see them like that, but it feels right."

This is the important difference between animating for first person and animating for third person. Do you care about the entire model, or just the perspective from said model's head?

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I will never be able to take Mirror's Edge seriously again.

That and the e-surance cut-scenes.

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Whooh! Wave them limbs like you're having a seizure!

I'd also like to point out that Faith is noticeably absent of a bag to give to Celeste.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
The only facet of Mirror's Edge that interested me was its being a first-person platformer. So I fail to see the point of playing it in third-person.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
She looks like the Time Trial Ghosts. Its probably the same animation given to her.
No the time trial ghost looked better. It moved more naturally like Faith's lady-friend, Celeste did.