Mirror's Edge: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
"This is the greatest undersea epic, ever filmed."
-Jame Cameron

I love games that innovate, and I love moreso games that change cliche'd genres. First time I've ever heard of a game that is FP and doesn't end in 'S'.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Johnnyweird said:
They also need to remember to lay off the guns.
Since it's a first person game, it would be tempting to add some shooting in there, just to draw in the shooter crowd, but it could totally ruin the game.
Imagine, you'll be playing and enjoying it for the first half, but in the second, they throw a bunch of guns your way and force you to use them.

Entirely possible, seeing as this is EA.
Well, there will being shooting aspects of the game, the developer said as much. However, you don't have guns to start with, and you can't go collecting them like coins. If, say, you take out a guard who's blocking your path and he was carrying a pistol, you can pick it up to use. However, you only have the ammo that was in the gun and you can't carry a thousand weapons/clips with you at all times. I've also heard that carrying certain weapons affects how fast you can run and how easily you can climb walls. So this actually makes the game seem ever closer to reality than most others. I personally am looking forward to this one. It has the potential to be something amazing, but time will tell.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
thebobmaster said:
sammyfreak said:
I love to design, the city looks awesome (the main character not so much). But the story sounds like it will be another mindless "fight teh govormentz" tale and the movement itself will probably end up being Assassins Creed in first person.
What's wrong with that?
Because free-running is only fun for so long. They are gonna need some really awesome and varied level design or/and a great story. So far it is to early to say if it will turn out any good but I have my worries.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
It looks promising, but i'm not getting my hopes up until i see reviews or at least critical aclaim.

We've been disappointed before.

Mystery00

Jan 17, 2008
The concept is certainly great, but it's being published by EA. We all know what that means.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Mystery00 said:
The concept is certainly great, but it's being published by EA. We all know what that means.
That we'll get a quality game out of it and then be dollared to death by downloadable content that doesn't really do anything to the game?

stevesan

Oct 31, 2006
This is pretty innovative coming from EA...but I fear it may be Army-of-Two-Innovation. Not Portal-Innovation.

Jonathan Blow, in one of his "I'm better than you" lectures, made a good point: True innovation should surprise. Not just throw out a new idea and then do exactly what a reasonable gamer would expect to be done. For a game to truly innovate, it needs to take the idea and run with. Mirror's Edge has the potential to do that...literally (puns am phun). But, Army of Two did not. Sure, it tried something new, but it turned out exactly as everyone expected it to (or so I read in the reviews).

I really hope this game takes off and the designers really exploit the crap out of an awesome engine and mechanic. Like Portal.

Najal

Apr 12, 2008
impossible to say until its released but i reckon it looks pretty sweet.

love the free running element, but it will really hinge on how good the controls are. imagine if everything you saw in that trailer was performed by pressing forward and spacebar (see assassin's creed).

will be worth keeping an eye on, thats for sure.

ilves7

Dec 7, 2007
Najal said:
impossible to say until its released but i reckon it looks pretty sweet.

love the free running element, but it will really hinge on how good the controls are. imagine if everything you saw in that trailer was performed by pressing forward and spacebar (see assassin's creed).

will be worth keeping an eye on, thats for sure.
I believe i read somewhere everything is basically 2 buttons along with the directional controller... different colors on some items also tell you how you can interact with the specific object

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
This game looks awesome, even though watching the video made me kind of nauseous :p

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Well, it looks very interesting, and the concepts are innovative enough.

All depends how they handle it, really. You know, perfecting the controls and that stuff

erikvduyn

The worst at Linux
Apr 2, 2008
this sounds awesome, one of the few games i'm looking forward to for the next year or so.

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
It looks very good from the promo material, but I won't actually form an opinion until its released and found to have such retarded bugs in gameplay mechanics eg the fucking Blend Speed limit with the horse in AC, or to quote ZP "a Rigorously enforced speed limit".
Guns will get pulled in to it, DICE's previous works are Battlefield 1942 and spawnlings. And EA has trouble grasping the idea that a game can't have firearms as something other than the core gameplay element

Linearity and non-Linearity aren't major attractions to me, and looking at the design I can see that if EA(the publisher) pushes the developers DICE(the people who actually make the game) for an open world it will all fall apart.
Hell some of you seem to ***** a lot about Assassin's Creed which everyone says is an open world version of Prince of Persia, sure it has some problems, mainly the fucking overhype but that's the publisher's fault for being "a conga line of suckholes" to quote the Latham Diaries (Former politician who wrote a notorious book about Australian politics).
But as long as they stay focused on maintaining the Zeitgeist of the game there shouldn't be much but EA's marketing department to gripe about.

On a completely different turd:
Why does everything with jumping get compared to Prince of Splat? I've played as far as I can on all difficulty levels in Warrior Within and Two Thrones, it all feels the same. Why can't we have a nice platformer to compare with like Tomb Raider 2 or Dark Angel (I surprisingly liked that one the most.)

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
How could they screw up something so new that no one has ever thought of it before. (This post is just begging for someone to prove it wrong, and you know it.)

hollow-soull

May 1, 2008
I think this game looks really good. The only thing i think they could do is add a third person / first person switch feature. Like in Oblivion.

Feb 14, 2008
Fucking A, Parkour FTW.
But this gotta be open world lelse it'll be a C-.
Oh and i think you could incorporate gunfights but then make it something like in Condemmed 2 (eg. ammo is sparce and you can only carry a small amount).