Mirrors Edge2 Laid on Ice!

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
I'm very disappointed; Mirror's Edge was excellent - and a sequel where they ironed out the quirks and let me see more of that world was a tantalising prospect.

mirror's edgy

Sep 30, 2010
Zack McSleuthburger said:
mirror said:
Zack McSleuthburger said:
The very idea of the game is utter shit at best. I'll feel bad for the masochists who enjoyed that horrid game, but I'll take this as great news.
Well, I'm just going to go change my avatar or jump off a bridge. Whichever is faster.
I meant it as sympathy, but nice to see everything anyone says ever on the internet is still misconstrued as an insult.
Sorry, I get testy when publishers crush my dreams.

CATB320

Jan 30, 2011
Happy Valentine's Day, no Mirror's Edge 2.
Mirror's Edge had its kinks, but I'm sure it could've been improved a ton given the chance.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Aww, I loved Mirror's Edge. It was a fresh take. Sure the combat was balls and the plot was negligible, but the free running was fantastic and gave you a thrill like no other.

Not quite sure what they mean by "Didn't sell well enough", from what I heard it sold at least 1 million, if not 2 million units. That doesn't seem like it sold badly at all. Maybe it was hurt by how many people sold it...

TheNewDemoman

Feb 21, 2010
Gonna miss that SOB

Fun game, the FP camera is what made it unique, oh well. For a first experimental game, it was amazing

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
Slight update
Update: A representative for EA offered up a statement to 1UP, calling Mirror's Edge "an important franchise," noting that DICE is currently at work on Battlefield 3 and that it has "nothing further to announce." As expected, it doesn't give us any indication as to whether or not the original report from this past December has any merit. If Mirror's Edge really is an important franchise, though, you wouldn't expect a sequel to be canceled
http://www.1up.com/news/mirrors-edge-2-development-stopped

odeed

Jul 28, 2009
Honestly, I have no idea what people didn't like about Mirror's Edge, for me it was perfect. I haven't played the console version, so maybe that's it...
Yeah, it had some frustrating moments, but so does every game. At least it wasn't Dead Space, where every second was pure agony... then again, maybe that's also because I played on the PC.
Let's just hope it gets back on track eventually.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Have some optimism guys - it doesn't necessarily mean dead forever, it might just mean that it gets revived in a few years.

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
This is terrible news. I love Mirror's Edge. Hell, whenever I get bored of the games I have, I always turn back to it.

It might have something to do with its absolutely gorgeous environments. Sometimes I just get lost look off of a rooftop....

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Too bad. I really didn't like Mirror's Edge, but I did think that it had some great potential.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Mirror's Edge was a neat concept. As a game... well... let's just say that I didn't bother to finish it. But I really liked the visual style and I appreciated it for what it was.

It should have been given a second chance. If EA were stronger financially, they might have. But EA, while definitely not broke, is desperately trying to catch up to Activision. They have poured a lot of money into several franchises that they hope will elevate the business to the next level. That sucks, but that's how businesses work. Mirror's Edge just didn't sell that well, and that's hardly EA's fault. They put quite a bit of marketing behind that project.

EA is trying to challenge Activision - I hoped they wouldn't go down that road, but they are - all business people want to go down that road. They see the COD franchise earning Billions, and they want to duplicate that. This requires significant investment into multiple franchises. And you have to remember - often it's not EA's money being spent, it's shareholder money being spent. The money they invest, has to be paid back with profit attached. You're talking about hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars being spent there.

When you've got hundreds of millions of dollars on the line, being unemotional and detached from the decision of "which games do we make" can be justified. I would like a second Mirror's Edge, most of us would. It had a lot of promise, and faith was a genuinely alright character.

But not enough of us bought it. I confess that I only bought it on sale for 5 bucks on steam. And I'll admit that it was the negative press reviews that put me off - and when I played the game on steam, I quickly realized that those reviews were not lying - Mirror's Edge had some serious problems. Lots of games have problems, but when those problems are a key part of the game, it's a BIG problem.

Yes, the first Mass Effect game had serious problems - a horrendous inventory system (at least on the 360), extremely noticeable pop in and some broken abilities/skills. But you played ME for the story, or at least, I did. With Mirror's Edge, sorry, the story isn't worth talking about, the game is ENTIRELY about traversal and the flow of running and climbing. That's why you play Mirror's Edge: For the running. And the running, in plenty of spots, was just broken and frustrating. Having to make the same jump 10 times is very frustrating, and those moments kept coming up.

It's sad that EA aren't taking the risk at making another Mirror's Edge, which I'm sure would have been a much better game. But it's our fault for not supporting it enough, despite it's flaws. My fault too!

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
I sincerely gave the game a chance, I rented it, and beat about three quarters of it before I found it unplayable. It just didn't work for me, and I felt I could platform in Call of Duty pretty well so I didn't expect to feel so...out of control. I really wanted it to control better, I had hopes for it since it was sort of an untapped genre, but maybe someone else will do it better. For me, third person is obviously best for platforming, but if they're going to attempt first person, it just has to be a lot more smooth than what they gave us the first time (if they make a sequel or if another company makes a similar game).

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Samechiel said:
Does this REALLY surprise anyone? I was honestly shocked that there was ever talk of a sequel.

Mirror's Edge was a truly innovative game, I'll give it that. But innovative does not immediately equate good. It's the same with Hard Rain.

You tried, you failed, now do something different.
Heavy Rain. Hard Rain was that shitty movie from the late 90s.

I loved the idea of Mirror's Edge, but the game was just terrible. The characters were unlikeable, the gameplay was boring and repetitive, AND BROKEN, and it had a terrible story. I don't see the reason for a sequel.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
What they were working on a sequel? Now they're NOT working on a sequel!?

Bitches...