Mis-used internet buzzwords : today's discussion brought to you by the word "whitewashing"

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
So to get things out of the way first before the pitchforks and knives are brought out, this isn't me going to discount everyone who complains of whitewashing or be one of those ignorant people who acts like racism doesn't exist anymore and we should just shut up and enjoy everything. No, sadly people are people and one of the things that can often annoy fans or offend groups of people is when a role that has been established for a certain race in a film is filled by an actor who is "white" and obviously has no discernible connection to said race. While I don't think this necessarily means there is a racist Hollywood suit wringing his hands and laughing maniacally behind his desk as he picks Johnny Depp for a Native American role, valid arguments can be made about how great opportunities and peoples feelings are sorely overlooked.

With that being said, there are times when the internet masses seem to cry outrage when, at least in my opinion, the issue isn't there. The latest example comes with the release of the trailer for Pan. For those not yet in the know, it is yet another retelling of Peter Pan's origin's. This movie seems pretty interesting, the visual motif seems to be imagining all the Neverland inhabitants looking like Cirque de Sole performers, and of course features all the classic story's characters including Tiger Lily. Tiger Lily is going to be played by Rooney Mara and since her character and group of tribes-people have been often portrayed as "Indians" (Native Americans), there are a tirade of comments lamenting how Hollywood has not progressed at all and casting a white actor is offensive to Native Americans. Obviously from where I'm going with this, I don't think this applies here.

Looking at it from a different perspective, I believe this can actually be a good thing. From reports in response to the controversy since the trailer's release, it looks like the film makers are trying to ignore the Native American ties entirely. While this decision was done nobly in efforts to not be offensive is unknown, it at least works that way. The history of Tiger Lily's portrayal is not exactly filled with positive examples that Native Americans would likely want to associate with. Just take a look at Disney's animated adaptation of Peter Pan. Most of you probably already know the racist themes that are present since it is one of the top examples of "Past Racist Cartoons" columns, but for those of you that haven't seen this yet, it's pretty bad. Not only is the tribe portrayed in the most stereotypical ways possible ("peace pipe" passing, referring to them as "Red-men", etc.), but there is also a quote in the song used in the scene that suggests they were white at one point in time but their skin color changed from blushing for too long after a woman's kiss. Also J.M.Barrie's original play and novel portrayed them much in the same as a savage unsophisticated group of people which were erroneously referred to as "Indians".

If the original works are created with a positive portrayal of the different groups of people present, then it's disheartening to see roles in an adaptation completely disregard the racial aspect of the portrayal. But in this instance, seeing that the original concept was thought up by a Scottish man who lived in the early 1900's, my guess is he wasn't exactly receiving expert advice on Native Americans and their historical way of life. So there isn't much of an argument to have these characters be portrayed by Native Americans based on the past iterations.

Now could this film take an opportunity to right the wrongs of the past and make a more positive role for Native American actors? Perhaps, but I think that "re-imagining" the characters as a group of non-race specific indigenous people is just as viable. Especially if you consider the former option could fail miserably.

Now this isn't to say that Hollywood doesn't have a problem with cultural diversity, even this film has all its' leading roles seemingly filled with Caucasian actors. But not having an actor from a race that has historically been poorly represented fill that role is likely a planned side-step as opposed to a careless choice. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I an just an ignorant racist jerk. Though I'm doubting it, your thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Er...could they not have just kept the Native Americans, and removed the racism, not the other way around?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
One thing we should be clear on is this: It's not more correct to refer to Tiger Lily & C:eek: as "native Americans." They're not from America, they're from Neverland.

They're not supposed to be actual native Americans, they're what early 1900's children imagined "Indians" to be. Kind of like how Captain Hook and his crew obviously aren't meant to be a realistic portrayal of pirates.

CitizenM

Oct 16, 2014
Politics are ALWAYS an "issue". Exclusion, racism, greed and discrimination are politics whether people want to acknowledge human nature or not.

Yes, we no longer see nefarious hand-wringing racists in white pointed hoods publically lynching minorites. Those that still want to have been successfully marginalized. Today's racism is far more challenging. Racism manifests itself artificially, inherent in our institutions such that individuals aren't blamed for it. Yet the obviousness of racism forces everyone to acknowledge racism exists in our institutions whether it be our schools, our workplace or our film industry. Famous director Ridley Scott recently said that "whitewashing" was the only way to get his film "Exodus: Gods and Kings" financed:

http://www.slashfilm.com/exodus-whitewashing/

This reveals the complex nature of modern racism. Racism hidden behind financial necessity. The global reality of film sales at the level of Hollywood's massive production budgets means American film companies don't necessarily want to be racist and may actually prefer not to be. But they must cater to foreign audiences, carefully avoiding casting, scripting and dialog that might offend the racism of foreign audiences who are now as large (or larger) a source of income as domestic audiences.

If you want to be a person of conscious that grapples with how we perceive racism, you can look at these issues in overview, not individually. Always. In a small way, your thought about Joe Wright's "Pan" film is correct: ONE FILM casting as it wishes should NOT be an issue. But "Pan" - like any media in popular culture - does not exist in a vacuum. Each individual production may not be racist, but add them all together and what do you have? A cultural landscape dominated by a majority of films all about white people, typically male and straight, but those are issues for yet other threads :)

There is a social responsibility that people should accept to look at the big picture and demand inclusiveness in our media. My life is filled with diversity, from my family to my friends to my co-workers. Modern life IS multicultural. Yet my popular culture often feels easily 75 years behind, a whitewashing that does not represent any aspect of modern reality. It matters. Even just one film.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Mr. Barrie's original work taken into account, the character of Tiger Lily is something of a construct based on what were once referred to as: "The Colonial Peoples." That is, indigenous people of the current and former British colonies. So, to a certain extent, her character is something of an amalgamation of Native American, Indian (that is, Asian Indian), Cantonese, and even possibly African.

Needless to say, this turns her character into something of a minefield of racial insensitivity. In that sense, there may actually be no way to even have this character in the work without offending anyone, and a full omission could bring yet another possible accusation of "whitewashing," though of a different sort. There may be no right answer to this problem at all. In fact, just casting her as white and removing reference to the racial undertones may be the best of all imperfect solutions. I suppose we will have to wait and see for the final product though.

To Whitewash has become an interesting term though. Originally, it is from Mathew:
Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean.
Meaning that you are merely covering something unclean, rather than correcting it. I imagine the term being used as double-entendre at first to describe casting choices and reducing or eliminating roles for minorities; it being used very much tongue-in-cheek. However, the original usage has negative connotations for both the action and the original state. Whereas the newer usage has negative connotations only for the action itself, and implies positivity towards the original state. So, in that sense, the two uses of the term differ.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
I'd say the issue is more on the fact that movies today essentially make whatever art they want, including social issues and moral issues, without dealing with the burden of having to show them in a good or negative light, thus leaving us - the audience - to argue amongst ourselves, and with the creator of said content. (PBS Idea channel did a much more indepth review of what I'm talking about here).

I'm honestly more offended about Katniss' color change and the chance of the infamous 'force prostitution' write out happening with the hunger games' series. And I'm not even a big fan of the movies.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
So, a thread on misused words... That continues to misuse the word? OP, I am disappoint.

Whitewash means to try to sanitize something's past to gloss over or cover up vices, crimes or scandals or to exonerate by means of a perfunctory investigation or through biased presentation of data.

For example; In Animal Farm, after he rose to power, Napoleon attempted to whitewash history by trying to delete characters from the minds of his subjects. This had nothing to do with trying to replace the animals with white guys.

Captcha: bots are bad m'kay ... Sure thing, Captcha Mackey.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Er...could they not have just kept the Native Americans, and removed the racism, not the other way around?
That's pretty much where I stand on this particular issue. Just because he chracter started as a mass of stereotypes doesn't mean that they need to stay as one. Remakes of the Peter Pan story have been made before and have managed to tone down the issues with the original.

And at the moment another version is being released by NBC this this December and they specifically searched for a Native American actress and found one.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...ress-live-peter-pan-christopher-walken-156065

http://www.eonline.com/news/581591/meet-peter-pan-live-s-wendy-darling-and-tiger-lily

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno, point to me the place in Hollywood where aspiring Native American actors and actresses get plenty of decent parts and I'll be down with you OP.

I see moving away from the racism inherent in Tiger Lilly's portrayal, but as Thal said, couldn't we have kept the Native American and removed the racism?

madwarper said:
The term has also come to mean portraying characters of color as white. Whether in film, or visual art, or whatever. Because language is an evolving thing, and never static. *grins*