Misconceptions of famous people

Jun 11, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
I used to think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (the guy who wrote the Sherlock Holmes books) was pretty cool, but it turns out he used to believe in all sorts of weird stuff, and was very derisive of the logical deduction method which Holmes used to solve his cases.

Glademaster said:
Apparently Ghandi used to like to sleep naked with young girls also naked including his niece. I do say apparently.
Really? Though that reminds me of this

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/articles/article/8161/civility_28-10-10.jpg
Well I do say apparently(heard from various sources and media but you know how rumours go) but I imagine he would have liked something like that.

Dec 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
If all other alternatives fail and there has been plenty of warning
Are you saying there is NEVER a point where a man should hit a woman? Because how the hell is he meant to defend himself?

I'd also point out that most women can take down most men with one single move; be it stab, smash or knee.

How about a man found today with serious injuries after being beaten by a woman? [http://www.leics.police.uk/canyouhelp/appeals/8510_police_appeal_for_witnesses_after_man/]

Is he a misogynist if he fought back?
Being a '*****, hysterical or bloody minded continually' isn't the same as 'shit, she's got a knife'.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Julianking93 said:
I'm not sure if it's really an obscure truth or a common misconception but most people I know don't know it...

Thomas Edison was a giant piece of shit who never really invented much of anything important and stole the pattens on most of "his" inventions. He also was part of the reason why Nikola Tesla never got the attention he deserved due to Tesla being far smarter than him and developing a superior form of electrical current and attempted to give free electricity to the world. Edison didn't like the idea of not getting any money for something so he spent a vast part of his career when he wasn't stealing people's pattens (Tesla was responsible for most of the stuff he's credited for) by convincing the scientific community that Tesla was a crazy and dangerous madman. Oh and he also killed animals just to run smear campaigns against Tesla as well, then say "At least I know I never invented something that kills" (or something to that effect). So not only is he a giant cockhead, he's a hypocrite too. History loves remembering the assholes, don't they?
This, I bring it up anytime someone says anything about Edison. Tesla was so awesome. Anyone ever hear of the "earthquake machine" he said he invented but destroyed because it was too dangerous? Knowing what we do about Tesla, I'd wager it was real. Tesla: The Original Mad Scientist

Feb 13, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Being a '*****, hysterical or bloody minded continually' isn't the same as 'shit, she's got a knife'.
So, if she's got a knife, you're fine with slapping her out?

I think you've put way too much interpretation into a soundbite he's been cursed with. Would you judge George Dubya just on

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
OMG, George wants to kill America!

Seriously, until there's at least some evidence or a charge - I think we can safely assume that he's not going to slap his wife just because she didn't make him a sammich.

Dec 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
So, if she's got a knife, you're fine with slapping her out?

I think you've put way too much interpretation into a soundbite he's been cursed with. Would you judge George Dubya just on

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
OMG, George wants to kill America!

Seriously, until there's at least some evidence or a charge - I think we can safely assume that he's not going to slap his wife just because she didn't make him a sammich.
If a woman is a threat to me physically, I have no problems with using enough force to disarm her. But hitting her is she's simply shouting at me? No fucking way.

I'll concede that I may be putting too much stock in one quote however.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Abanic said:
I love this thread...

The originator does a fine job of citing the source (History Channel) then reporting what they said. From there on, everyone else just brings up whatever crazy crap they've heard from God-knows-where and reports it as fact (some of it is true, some is complete bullshit).

This thread should come with a warning tag reminding people not to believe everything they read from random strangers on the Internet.
You shouldn't need a warning that everything you see and hear on the internet is bollocks...it's a given

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Are you saying there is NEVER a point where a man should hit a woman? Because how the hell is he meant to defend himself?

I'd also point out that most women can take down most men with one single move; be it stab, smash or knee.

How about a man found today with serious injuries after being beaten by a woman? [http://www.leics.police.uk/canyouhelp/appeals/8510_police_appeal_for_witnesses_after_man/]

Is it okay then when a woman slaps a man for saying the wrong thing to her (examples like commenting on body fat, or hair-do, or clothes), or does the same standard hold, in which case the would man have to deck her with a fist before she is justified to use an open-palm slap (or a punch) on him in turn? Physical contact for physical contact, if provocated?

Feb 13, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
If a woman is a threat to me physically, I have no problems with using enough force to disarm her.
Good for you. I can't even hit a woman when she's belting me.
But hitting her is she's simply shouting at me? No fucking way.
It's a difficult one, I'll concede that. Women fight by exploiting weak emotions, so they can force men into a position where they have to use their strength to get away. That can lead to the woman getting hurt. I think that most of the time the guy is going to feel terrible about it though. We may brag a lot, but our own emotions keep most of us in check, no matter what we may say.
I'll concede that I may be putting too much stock in one quote however.
Think about how many journalists will have dug into his past as soon as he made that comment, looking for any woman he might have hit. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

He still only ever plays a Scotsman though, and he was fecking awful in "The Avengers". (No...the English one)

Dec 14, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Is it okay then when a woman slaps a man for saying the wrong thing to her (examples like commenting on body fat, or hair-do, or clothes), or does the same standard hold, in which case the would man have to deck her with a fist before she is justified to use an open-palm slap (or a punch) on him in turn? Physical contact for physical contact, if provocated?
Of course it isn't ok, but that has nothing to with what we're talking about.

This is about a man who will hit a woman if she's being a *****.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
ShadowsofHope said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Of course it isn't ok, but that has nothing to with what we're talking about.

This is about a man who will hit a woman if she's being a *****.
I know. And I don't specifically endorse such whatsoever. Though, it's not really all that different from hitting a man if he is being an asshole, is it?

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Hitler was a terrible, terrible strategist. He was an awful military leader.

Justin Bieber is incredibly talented.

Annnd that's all I got.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
George W. Bush wasnt such a bad president and/or world leader.

Oh thats gonna get some hate, though Im not sure if that should be JK or not.

Um... that Benedict Arnold is a bad person?

steevee

Apr 16, 2008
Glademaster said:
Queen Michael said:
In before "Napoleon wasn't a shortie." Because he wasn't, you know.
Wasn't that over confusion with French and English inches and feet or soemthing stupid like that?

Apparently Ghandi used to like to sleep naked with young girls also naked including his niece. I do say apparently.
Indeed he did. Although apparantly this was to help him 'resist temptation' in order that he may be enlightened or some such. But yes, at points he slept naked with his two neices in a bed. He was also rather racist in his early years. During his civil rights campaign for Indians in South Africa he went to lengths to agree with the British on their treatment of the natives of the country. This is somewhat lost to most of the writings about him however, they tend to be hero worship really.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Martin Luther King humped anything that moved

Ghandi may well have been a paedo and slept naked in beds with young girls

JFK was so ill for most of his presidency that he could barely stand most of the time, I think he had Lupus.

Hedonist

Jun 22, 2011
You can't really call it cheating if he never made a commitment to his wife. That's just having sex with multiple people.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Jarimir said:
Prof. Monkeypox said:
Mozart wasn't a musical prodigy- he just worked harder than absolutely everyone else (because of his slightly crazy music teacher dad).

He is once said to have stated that he was insulted when people called him a prodigy because it undermines his passion for his work.
He wrote his 1st symphony at age 6. Generally any child that can play a musical instrument well at that age is considered a prodigy, nevermind being able to write an entire symphony. Whether or not he liked being called a prodigy is another matter and doesnt really affect the fact that he WAS. Also, I have never heard this symphony or heard of anyone reviewing/commenting on it, perhaps it is crap. I dunno, either way it still sounds utterly amazing for a 6 y.o. to do this and the very least people are willing to call it anything but the scribbles of a 6 y.o. on a piece of paper.

Michelangelo HATED painting the Sistine Chapel.
Tchaikofsky HATED the Nutcracker Suite, one of his most famous works.

Not excactly a misconception but kind of ironic that these artists' most famous works were things the artists themselves loathed.
Most music historians agree that while it was impressive that Mozart wrote a symphony at 6, it was pretty mediocre and unoriginal, especially considering his later works. The only reason he was invited to play it in front of the royals was because it was incredible to see a six year old write a symphony, as you said.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
George W. Bush isn't as stupid as people think he is. He just made bad decisions. And had bad things happen.

In no way am I praising the man though.