Misconceptions you hate!

Thelonesun

Mar 14, 2010
I hate people who say PC gaming has too high of an entry price to be affordable. Newsflash, it's not. If you put some effort into it, you can find a 600$ prebuilt that can play games on reasonable settings, and if you put even more effort into it (hardly) you can build a quite strong entry level rig for 450 dollars. That extra 150$ is saved from not having to buy a computer to use seperate from your console, sales on Steam, (seriously, I've only spent 500$ on PC games as of far and have got 1000$ worth of games) the fact that you can use legal gray area as a real legal justification to pirate a game if your CD breaks instead of having to buy a 30-60$ CD again, or the fact that you don't even have to use that grey area if you use Steam.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
I am a vegetarian, I hate PETA, now I know it's not very common that people think all vegetarians love PETA but GOD DAMMIT it makes me wanna rip my hair out
Also, a misconception that only one person has had before but i'm saying it anyway, gay people don't want to become the opposite gender, the one person who thought this? It pretty much ruined our friendship...

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
The misconception that since I'm a woman I can't like violent games or movies. All I'm supposed to like are "Rom-Com"s and cheesy romance novels. Fuck that! Gears of War, and God of War and Ninja Gaiden are AWESOME! And the last "Rom-Com" I was was Pretty Woman, which I saw with my sister, as a teen. I guess it really just boils down to the misconception that since I'm a woman I can't have anything in common with any man at any time. Games are a wonderful 'common ground' that my husband and I have in common. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
That women aren't interested in comics, video games, certain movies, or anything else even remotely fun. Or that we aren't worth marketing anything towards except for cleaning supplies. Where the hell is our blatant fan-service and why the hell is every person in those mop commercials a woman?

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Ice Azure said:
That us people who live in Hawaii all live in grass shacks on the beach, don't wear clothes, and have no electricity. We're civilized like you people in the mainland, dumbasses...

And yes, I've actually had someone ask me that before.
But you all can surf right?....And you're women are all hot right....TELL ME YES SO I CAN HAVE FAITH!!!!

That because I went to a vocational HS I can fix your computer.....I can but that's not the point dammit.

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
This isn't a common one at all, but it is something I heard in person.

"Being conservative is the only way to accomplish anything."

Disregarding any political views, it disappoints me that people hold an ideal to that high of a regard. That their belief is completely correct and no lessons can be learned from the opposing views.

Otherwise, basically anything else that is ridiculously over-exaggerated.

Also this:

Of-the-Lion said:
werty10089 said:
-Thinking that Muslim extremists are more of a threat than Christian extremists.
I want to shake your hand and never stop.

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
The misconception that since I'm from the Western United States, our society looks exactly like a John Wayne movie. We have electricity, we have cars, we have pretty much the same stuff everyone else in this county has. More often than not, this is brought up as a joke. But I still occasionally meet somebody who is actually surprised to learn that we use cars.

Also, since I'm conservative, apparently all of my opinions come from Fox News. A week ago some one actually accused me of plagiarizing Fox News, I still have no idea as to what they were specifically referring to.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
That the axiom of "the simplest solution is probably the correct one" means "the stupidest solution is probably the correct one". Occam's Razor is actually more accurately described as, "the theory that requires the least underlying presumptions is probably the correct one".

For example, alien abductions. People incorrectly cite Occam's Razor to back up their argument, saying that because people believe they have been abducted, the "simplest explanation" is that they were, and therefore that must be true. But, in fact, in order for that to be true, then you need to be presuming that aliens exist, that they are capable of traveling to Earth, that they are capable of abducting people, that they do abduct people, that they leave no trace or record of these abductions, that people who would rightfully have detected aliens are intentionally covering this up, and so on and so forth. In actual fact, the simplest explanation is that the alleged abductee had a dream because it requires the least underlying presumptions; namely that they are capable of dreaming.

Scoffy89

Jan 12, 2011
That all Irish people are happy-go-lucky drunks who are fun/nice to be around. Honestly most of the ones I know are assholes.

Also that everyone here lives in cottages and doesn't have electricity. Honestly a few freinds of mine went on exchange programmes and the people they were staying with started telling them how light switches work and what the internet is. Fucking hell.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
synobal said:
What is the most common misconceptions that drive you crazy? Mine has to be the 'humans only use 10% of their brain.' It drives me crazy when I see it in TV shows, Movies, Books or Video Games to justify anything. That sort of laziness in writing just isn't acceptable for me, as a writer or story teller. I mean what's the point of coming up with something awesome for the 'plot' and then use something to lazy to justify it.

So what misconceptions drive you to insane frenzies of rage?
Well we only use about 10%... AT A TIME! Use more than that and you are likely going to die in a few seconds... That said your brain will use all parts of itself at one time or another.

right now I don't really have any misconceptions I can think of...

teebeeohh said:
that a scientific theory is something that is debatable, the only reason not to call it fact is because we can't know that at some point in time someone will drop a beer and it will move away from the center of gravity. While interesting this would have absolutely no consequences on the conclusions and applications the theory of gravity has.

You are not special.
intelligent life may just be a fluke and you have no predetermined goal in life, stop making other being(or cosmic entities) responsible for your shit.
the abyss does not gaze back

rule of thumb: everything is random, stop assigning it arbitrary meaning.

Well the scientific theory meathod would not be any less valid even if the beer dropped upwards. It just means we need to re-think the theory a bit... happens all the time.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Heres one that I always forget pisses me off until it happens right in front of me: Calling some one a lesbian because they are a tomboy. The most recent rage inducing example: someone on the internet calling Rainbow dash a lesbian.

... I'm not a brony I swear...

danqaz

Aug 6, 2010
zephae said:
That being thoughtful makes you a braggart or elitist, or that showing your intelligence or knowledge is akin to condescension. People used to hate me in grade school and middle school because I'd tell them what kind of scores I got when they asked, not that they seemed to be very interested in doing any better. I certainly never turned anyone down for help and would keep working with them until they understood. Now, I can't engage in my favorite topic, politics, because people either take it way too seriously, roll their eyes at you as though the very idea of talking about what our government or society should work towards is not an acceptable topic of discussion, or get offended because you try to probe their opinions and treat topics with significant depth. The contempt and apathy that people show for discussing public policy never ceases to amaze and infuriate me.
YES YES YES! THIS MAN RIGHT HERE! My agreement with you is nothing short of infinite!

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
OrenjiJusu said:
The misconception that all americans have less IQ than a used yoghurt and that all british people are incredibly upper class and only drink tea and eat scones.
That is probably the one I hate the most..
It just isn't true...

Although it's funny to listen to some people rant on about the
"retarded fat american dicks"
I'm not sure about the fat or dick part,
but we certainly aren't as bad as people around the world think

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Da Orky Man said:
That nuclear power is horrifically dangerous. Erm, excuse me? Coal ash deaths usually rank about 30,000 a year. Nuclear deaths go to about 20.
That humans lose 90% of their heat through their heads. No, more like 15%. The study that said 90% was done by immersing people in freezing water, and measuring heat loss. Well, the brain has to keep running, so of course it's going to lose a hell of a lot of heat. Across the rest of the body, blood flows change to keep your internal organs as warm as possibly.
Pretty much those exactly. I hate how people's ignorance is causing us to ignore a relatively clean and extremely powerful energy source. And the loss of heat from the head thing also pisses me off. You lose far more heat from your chest than your head.

Also, that causes violence. Over time we've had everything from rock music to video-games blamed for this, instead of mental instability.

Mar 9, 2010
H31neken said:
That good and evil are real, and not something we've made up, that they're inherently there, whether we are or not. They're both meaningless terms and their definitions vary from person to person, from generation to generation and from culture to culture. NOTHING is inherently good and NOTHING is inherently bad.
First one I disagree with. I'm a guy who really likes the theory of the forms and the idea that a philosopher should be looking for an objective view of something so subjective as good and bad, that's the entire point of The Republic and I find it enticing because of it.

OT: People who harp on about how DLC, DRM, always online (AO) and used game countermeasures (UGC) are ruining gaming. This is far from the truth, especially DLC and UGC. These two are fair methods used by developers and publishers as a means of getting the money they should be getting for extra content and your used game purchase. DLC can be made whenever the developer feels like it and can be put onto the disc and only use an unlock key, it's practical and fair, shut up about it.[footnote]What isn't fair is cutting out plot points and selling them back in (see: Assassins Creed 2)[/footnote]

AO and DRM are a little different, however both are fair practices. DRM does help to some extent, although that measure is currently unknown to me, if it didn't then they wouldn't continue. It's their game and any measure they take to protect their copyright property is a fair practice. It'll cause you minor issues if any. Always online is something I just can't get my head around, I can't see how it would be a major problem. The majority of people have broadband now and are always connected to the internet anyway, if you're going somewhere where you won't have internet you probably shouldn't be playing games anyway and if your internet cuts out then you've just got to put up with not having games until it comes back.

My internet cuts out every time someone calls, so AO would be a problem for me. However, I know exactly how to fix my internet and you should find out too. If you can't pay for internet then you should be leaving video games until you get enough money to pay for it, or just play offline games.

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
OT: I hate the misconception that in britain anyone under the age 25 goes on a murder-rapey-looting-headbutt-mugging frenzy for shits and gigs

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
Slayer_2 said:
Da Orky Man said:
That nuclear power is horrifically dangerous. Erm, excuse me? Coal ash deaths usually rank about 30,000 a year. Nuclear deaths go to about 20.
That humans lose 90% of their heat through their heads. No, more like 15%. The study that said 90% was done by immersing people in freezing water, and measuring heat loss. Well, the brain has to keep running, so of course it's going to lose a hell of a lot of heat. Across the rest of the body, blood flows change to keep your internal organs as warm as possibly.
Pretty much those exactly. I hate how people's ignorance is causing us to ignore a relatively clean and extremely powerful energy source. And the loss of heat from the head thing also pisses me off. You lose far more heat from your chest than your head.

Also, that causes violence. Over time we've had everything from rock music to video-games blamed for this, instead of mental instability.
Finally other people that understand nuclear power <3