misogynistic content needs to be reported

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Hello, I haven't been around the Escapist Forums to much recently. I'm out of the loop.

If there were a forum user spouting misogynistic things, I would report them to a forum mod. However, if a content creator were to spout misogynistic content, I don't actually know how to report that.

Any idea where I can point such concerns?

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Parasondox said:
What content creator is or might be spouting misogynistic content?
"No Right Answer," their Harley Quinn vs Mr Freeze episode.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/ is the contact form. The subject line is a drop down box, for this I would think either feedback or inappropriate content would be the appropriate selection, then in the body naming the content creator, article name, and an outline of what you see as unacceptable in the article/video in question.

I am curious, what content are you referring to? Feel free not to answer since you might get more bitching than you want, but misogynistic is an extremely broad and politicized term, so it's in and of itself kind of useless in figuring out what's going wrong in your view. Again, no need to answer, I think the link I gave should let you air your grievances with the appropriate people.

Edit; Oh, my question got ninja'd. Thanks for answering.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Not to get to into it, but what is extremely broad and politicized about misogyny? It is what it is.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Oh, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction. After naming the content, I was worried I was going to get a whole host of people telling me how wrong I was, and not even respect the original question. :)

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Firia said:
Parasondox said:
What content creator is or might be spouting misogynistic content?
"No Right Answer," their Harley Quinn vs Mr Freeze episode.
Ahh I see. The calling Harley Quinn a "whore" bit. It was distasteful and I think the above post gave the info on what to do about bringing it up with the Escapist bosses.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Me: This isn't so bad...

6:05 mark
"Harly Quinns a whore."

Me: Oh...

Honestly, it's sad to see how that characters been treated outside of the original show.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Parasondox said:
Ahh I see. The calling Harley Quinn a "whore" bit.
That was the nail in the coffin. There was plenty of misogyny leading up to it. The "Double D gal" spoofing Groucho Marks, if I recall, kicked it off.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Is it because they call Harley a dumb blond? Because she is. She's dumb, and she's blond. Nobody's gonna argue with that.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
The OP was asking a simple question and hoping things wouldn't get messy.

Something tells me this is not going to be pretty.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Parasondox said:
The OP was asking a simple question and hoping things wouldn't get messy.

Something tells me this is not going to be pretty.
I just push the "report" button and let forum mods do the rest.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Firia said:
Not to get to into it, but what is extremely broad and politicized about misogyny? It is what it is.
At this point the words been used so much that its effectively lost all meaning. Maybe you haven't been here to see it. Not that you're wrong, but you'll need to be more specific if you want people to actually respond to you. Don't say "I consider this video misogynist." Say "I find it inappropriate that [blank] term was used by [individual].

Anyway, it is pretty politicizing in these threads, given the Gamer Gate argument. In all likelihood this thread will get locked down.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Firia said:

For me, the problem with taking the term at face value is that I have no idea what its face value is in practical terms. I've seen a huge range of things described as misogynistic, some of which seemed completely understandable, some seemingly requiring subscribing to a particular world view or ideology, but both being presented as exactly the same. In other words, misogyny is like MRA or SJW online for me; they might be valid complaints about really shitty behavior, or they might just be an expression of disapproval over the lack of uniform acceptance of the individuals morality.

Of course that's just me and my experience, and I do try and give people the benefit of the doubt on these things. You're welcome to the link. I actually had to search for the thing, which seems a bit iffy site design wise. Unless I'm just dumb and missed an obvious link.

edit:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Is it because they call Harley a dumb blond? Because she is. She's dumb, and she's blond. Nobody's gonna argue with that.
I feel compelled to try, actually. Harley is ditzy, clearly on the psycho end of things, and easily dominated by the stronger sociopathic personalities in her life (ex. Joker and Ivy). However, she has outwitted Batman before, gone on very successful crime sprees without the benefit of any powers or even unusual physical stats (she's a bit agile, but nothing huge by comic standards), and she did get a license to practice psychiatry and was cleared to do so in Arkham. Sure, her emotional vulnerabilities made that a rather poor HR choice in hindsight, but it still shows a respectable degree of actual intelligence. She just isn't up to the kind of mind games Joker and Ivy can pull, which, let's be frank here, not many people really are.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Firia said:
Hello, I haven't been around the Escapist Forums to much recently. I'm out of the loop.

If there were a forum user spouting misogynistic things, I would report them to a forum mod. However, if a content creator were to spout misogynistic content, I don't actually know how to report that.

Any idea where I can point such concerns?
Your first point of contact would be sending a ticket via this link [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/]. You can select the option "Report inappropriate content".

Alternately you can PM some of the Staff members. [user]Archon[/user] seems to be at the head of the site right now. There's also the community manager [user]ffronw[/user].