Missed Opportunities. Games you should have played at release.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Dated? Games, you'd wish you'd played but now can't enjoy.

Some games i've bought have dated so badly that I can't enjoy them (Forbidden Siren). If I'd played them on release I could have. I missed my chance and regret that.

By dated I mean, the graphics are awful and make the game unbelievably squinty.
By dated I mean, Game mechanics which now standard hadn't been thought of. Looking up and down.
By dated I mean, you can't get the system to play it on or get hold of the game.
By dated I mean, you missed the window - a sequel has been released so why go back (PoP: Two Thrones)

I'm jealous of all the people who've played System Shock 2 I imagine if I tried to play it now without my rose-tinited glasses of nostalgia I be thoroughly disappointed.

Is there a shelf-life (window) for a good game or is it a good game forever?

I've heard people don't like Goldeneye and that's just sad

I was inspired by the following thread. Games you haven't finished.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.86081

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Ive played everything I've ever really wanted to... I would like to get my hands on a copy of Golden Sun 2 and play it again though. I just cant find it.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Planetscape Torment, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, the Gabriel Knight series, The Last Express, Blade Runner.
Edit: I can't enjoy them because they're nigh on impossible to get hold of.

Nugoo

Jan 25, 2008
Ico and Disgaea 2. For a while Xenosaga III was on this list, but thanks to the magic of Amazon, it isn't

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Since everyone seems to worship FF7 I probably should have given it a shot but that game is IMPOSSIBLE to find. But I haven't really tried that hard anyway.

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
Honestly most older FPS are going to be on this list. Mainly because you'd look at the graphics and go "Ewwww!" because they aged terribly. Mechwarrior 2 would probably be on this list. I wish I had been around for the infinity engine games (Baldurs Gate and friends)...

I actually don't have alot to list. I've gotten most of the games I've had my eyes on over the course of my life.

Oh I forgot, Warcraft 1. I can't go back and play this because it's interface and graphics are so dated (also the entire concept of Roads was screwy)

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
XboxFanBoy17 said:
Fable2 and Gears of war2 I got those games a long time after release and soulcalibur4.
Have you just arrived from the future or do you just have a different perception of time from the rest of us?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Any GBA games I've found fun. All Megaman battle network games are unavailable in my country, I can only ebay one or two of them. Golden Sun I bought was corrupted, they gave me money back and promised to get a working one. They didn't. Super Mario bored me after a month, sold it, I regret it now.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Calax said:
Honestly most older FPS are going to be on this list. Mainly because you'd look at the graphics and go "Ewwww!" because they aged terribly. Mechwarrior 2 would probably be on this list.
Even if I didn't have the nightmares from childhood involving the FPSs of olden days, the movement and aiming are just so difficult to handle, and I was never there for the many games inbetween then and now. I do enjoy other 2.5D DOS games, though.

Oh, and MechWarrior 2? I still think its more fun than a lot of the new games...
But with the old old computer gone, I haven't been able to play it for two years now; I can't even get it the DOS version to work with DOSBOX. Any help?

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
not a blessed clue Erana, I haven't played that game since I was in elementary school. I do remember having fun with throwing 15 MERLAS on a Mad Dog and going to town (with the No Heat cheat enabled)

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
DalekJaas said:
Ive played everything I've ever really wanted to... I would like to get my hands on a copy of Golden Sun 2 and play it again though. I just cant find it.
Good Luck finding it. I've been looking for a copy of it as well. I lost mine and that upsets me. I loved the Golden Sun games.

For me?
It'd have to be the first few LoZ games. I've always wanted to know what they were like.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I wish I had been born 5-10 years earlier, so I could have played, and enjoyed Half Life 2, and WoW pre Expansion.

moose49408

Oct 18, 2008
For me, this would have to be the Metal Gear Solid series. I've just recently played and beaten MGS4 (not having played any of the previous games) and I feel as though I really missed something. I'm actually planning on trying to go back and play through the old games, and I'm hoping that I'll still be able to get some enjoyment out of them.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
MaxTheReaper said:
System Shock 1 and 2, Planetscape: Torment, etc...
Basically, I miss out on a lot of stuff.
I played System Shock 2 for the first time last year. It may be a bit on the ugly side but the game is awesome. There are some mods to make the textures on the enemies better and other stuff. Go nuts if you can find a copy.

Most of the games mentioned here though, I actually played back in the day. And Planescape Torment still looks pretty nice. I don't see why anyone should miss out on these titles just because of dated graphics. By that logic I shouldn't be able to enjoy Super Mario 2 on the NES. I've never played it, but if I turn out to hate it won't be because of graphics.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Well, if a game is good, then it usually stays good, but stuff that comes out after it can sometimes make it seem shabby by comparison.