Missed potential in movies, shows, anime, etc

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now, that being said, I fully acknowledge that The Sky is Everywhere might be just as far up it's own ass as Ludos: The Child of Sin: Reborn: Salvation Equation 2.0: Infection....the Sequel, but at least it seems more interesting to me, and accessible than the other option.
:LOL:

I usually don't mind weird titles, but even stuff I like throws me in to a loop. I am a big fan of Kill La Kill, but the title makes no sense. For the record, it's from Studio Trigger, but this is the only show in their production history that does a nonsensical title. All of the other ones are straightforward make sense. Even Akame ga Kill (not a Studio Trigger production )makes more sense, as much as it pains for me to partially defend that generic, over edgy, piece of shit. It's about said title characters, that kills. Along with her squad of rebellion assassin fighting the most generic evil empire possible.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I usually don't mind weird titles, but even stuff I like throws me in to a loop. I am a big fan of Kill La Kill, but the title makes no sense. For the record, it's from Studio Trigger, but this is the only show in their production history that does a nonsensical title. All of the other ones are straightforward make sense. Even Akame ga Kill (not a Studio Trigger production )makes more sense, as much as it pains for me to partially defend that generic, over edgy, piece of shit. It's about said title characters, that kills. Along with her squad of rebellion assassin fighting the most generic evil empire possible.
I try and give them some benefit of the doubt, and assume some of it is a translation issue? Where some phrases and concepts just don't translate over very well, so you end up with Word Salad: The Movie. It still makes me just sort of inwardly cringe at even trying to check them out. Because past history of those types of anime, end up being the kind of anime that I just do NOT find enjoyable to watch.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I try and give them some benefit of the doubt, and assume some of it is a translation issue?
I just checked; it's a pun and double meaning in Japanese. It kinda makes sense in English with context, but is more noticeable in Japanese.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I dunno, I can laugh at the ridiculous anime names, these book titles just make me disappointed.
Book-like titles can be as boring and stupid as dumb anime titles, but I definitely lose interest faster when anime titles get all whacky. Like, what is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis? All of these names are awful! Not listed on there is "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?" another example of "what is this supposed to be about?" Shit's dumb, full stop

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Book-like titles can be as boring and stupid as dumb anime titles, but I definitely lose interest faster when anime titles get all whacky. Like, what is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis? All of these names are awful! Not listed on there is "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?" another example of "what is this supposed to be about?" Shit's dumb, full stop
You'll notice a common denomenator with all but one of those examples (Anohana) though, they're all comedies.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Apparently Evangelion had such missed potential the creator has spent the past 25 years remaking it piece by piece.
Considering the merch machine of the series could outstrip the GDP of a small country, I consider an original series, it’s two films and a set of four remakes to be admirably conservative bites of the cherry. Mind, they had a manga and a spinoff or three and some shitty videogames that never have, or will, be seen outside Japan.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Everything about Sonic X.

Kyle XY - Not a bad show, but cancelled for no reason when it was just getting really good.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Probably the best thing Arnie's been in since before he was governator -

Salma Hayek defying age as always, with some help from the best makeup money can buy of course.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
A small one from the anime Assassination Classroom: At the start of the series about one third of the moon gets destroyed, turning it into a permanent crescent. It's a major visual motif of the show, repeated in the main teacher's smile and necktie.

But they've yet to show any stars inside the crescent of the moon, despite being one of the only times it would make sense. For a series where the first season contains a short lecture on the properties of dilatant fluids, this feels like an astronomy cockblock.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
A small one from the anime Assassination Classroom: At the start of the series about one third of the moon gets destroyed, turning it into a permanent crescent. It's a major visual motif of the show, repeated in the main teacher's smile and necktie.

But they've yet to show any stars inside the crescent of the moon, despite being one of the only times it would make sense. For a series where the first season contains a short lecture on the properties of dilatant fluids, this feels like an astronomy cockblock.
"Astronomy cockblock" is not a phrase I expected to find but I'll take it.