Missed Some PC Titles

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Just finished putting together a new gaming pc with unexpected tax return error money (company withheld too much.) I've been mostly console gaming for a while now so I'm sure I've got some cheap games I can get that I've missed over the last couple of years. Specs are good enough to run Skyrim. That was was my goal, I borrowed a rig and played Skyrim thru and now that I have what amounted to unexpected money to buy a cpu, I'm getting my own copy asap. My previous cpu's newest playable game was Fable 1 (slowly, it was a Willimette P4.)

So that's the gap. Fable - Skyrim. I'm planning on getting the Bethesda Fallout 3/Oblivion double pack (didn't bother with either on console, figured better on PC) and the Portals (had Portal for 360 just prior to RROD a week after the warranty ran out, freakin' microsoft.) Planning on getting Starcraft 2. Not interested at all in any kind of MMO, the last good one was Neverwinter Nights. Not the new one, but the AOL version with the SSI Unlimited Adventures engine.

^the last good mmo

So, discounting any MMO's and already planning on Fallout 3, Oblivion, Starcraft 2, and the Portals (and taking into account that if it would be as good on a console, I probably played it)...

What did I miss?

"Who built this F#@%!^G Police Station" - Leon Kennedy

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Torchlight, for sure. Saw the trailers and was interested would have forgotten it if you had not mentioned it. L4D I played on consoles. TF2, not interested, not into the shooter mmo (but did like MW1 singleplayer.) New Vegas, yes. Kind of goes with 3, I'll get it.

I'll look into the rest. Thanks

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I mean to list a lot more, but I'm surprised other people didn't jump in here.

Bioshock if you haven't played it on a console...
Supreme Commander / Command and Conquer 3 if you enjoy RTS games at all (which it seems you do since you're going to get SC2 - definitely definitely play Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance).
Crysis is a must-play (Not for the graphics, but for the freedom that it gives you).
The Witcher is a very strong WRPG, arguably on par with Dragon Age: Origins.

Trying to think.
Mirror's Edge, for sure.

This might be going too far back, but Jade Empire, Quake 4, at least two Prince of Persia games (Two Thrones and the new one), Megaman X8, Trackmania Nations Forever...

Would want to know more of what you're into before listing more... :x

edit: Here [http://www.allpcgame.net/2011/01/list-of-pc-games-released-in-2011.html] are some from 2011 - if any of those catch your eye, feel free to give a demo a shot.

Also, if you get a chance to play some indie titles, braid/world-of-goo/trine are all amazing on PC if you haven't played them on console already.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Valiance said:
Thinking about Witcher and 2, though Yahtzee likening it to an MMORPG warrants looking for a cheap version. Come to think about it, didn't gog offer it as a run up to offering witcher 2? If so I think it's worth a look.

Before folks go on here about Yahtzee's credentials as a reviewer, I'll just say we appear to have very similar taste in games and anything he says is good is something I find to be really good (or already love considering how long he has to wait for some titles in Aus.) I honestly believe all the hate he gets is a result of fanboys crying that he hates their terrible and stupid favorite game.

Yeah, I've actually got the Dragon Ages for PC (brother used my Amazon account to buy them) so I'll actually get to play a couple of games I've apparently owned for a while now. I'll most like add Mass Effect and 2 to the list as well (although the hours are really piling up at this point.) I'll probably go for C&C Red Alert 3 (I've always preferred RA to C&C so far) but eventually will catch up with C&C as well. Prince of Persia... played them on console. Loved 1 and 3. Mirror's Edge... I might look for a demo or something first to see if I'll enjoy a 1st person platformer. World of Goo... awesome on Wii, still need to try Braid and is Limbo on Steam? Crysis... not really a shooter guy. It has to be something special to catch my interest (clever problem solving like Deus Ex or boss physics and great weapon and level design like Painkiller are really the only standouts I've enjoyed.)

As for other game types I like. Survival horror is high on my list so... Dead Space? Too bad space sim appears to be dead, because I loved StarLancer and Freespace and I think there are few if no new space sims.

Oh and I'll get minecraft. Sounds fun.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
STALKER is a good RPG (kinda horror as well).
Amnesia, if you're into heart attacks.

Crysis is actually a great shooter. I'm not into shooters either but I had a lot of fun with Crysis. If more shooters were like Crysis the world would be a better place. You should give it a chance.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
Valiance said:
Thinking about Witcher and 2, though Yahtzee likening it to an MMORPG warrants looking for a cheap version. Come to think about it, didn't gog offer it as a run up to offering witcher 2? If so I think it's worth a look.

Before folks go on here about Yahtzee's credentials as a reviewer, I'll just say we appear to have very similar taste in games and anything he says is good is something I find to be really good (or already love considering how long he has to wait for some titles in Aus.) I honestly believe all the hate he gets is a result of fanboys crying that he hates their terrible and stupid favorite game.

Yeah, I've actually got the Dragon Ages for PC (brother used my Amazon account to buy them) so I'll actually get to play a couple of games I've apparently owned for a while now. I'll most like add Mass Effect and 2 to the list as well (although the hours are really piling up at this point.) I'll probably go for C&C Red Alert 3 (I've always preferred RA to C&C so far) but eventually will catch up with C&C as well. Prince of Persia... played them on console. Loved 1 and 3. Mirror's Edge... I might look for a demo or something first to see if I'll enjoy a 1st person platformer. World of Goo... awesome on Wii, still need to try Braid and is Limbo on Steam? Crysis... not really a shooter guy. It has to be something special to catch my interest (clever problem solving like Deus Ex or boss physics and great weapon and level design like Painkiller are really the only standouts I've enjoyed.)

As for other game types I like. Survival horror is high on my list so... Dead Space? Too bad space sim appears to be dead, because I loved StarLancer and Freespace and I think there are few if no new space sims.

Get Amnesia: The Dark Decent if you like survival horror.

Dead Space is more an action game than Horror. Maybe Thriller if you must but it's not scary at all, Bioshock was more scary. That said, it's actually not bad. Give it a go.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
StBishop said:
Get Amnesia: The Dark Decent if you like survival horror. Dead Space is more an action game than Horror. Maybe Thriller if you must but it's not scary at all, Bioshock was more scary. That said, it's actually not bad. Give it a go.
Amnesia, sounds great, I'm on board. Bioshock... likee the steampunk so I'm in as well.

Captcha, a good one: sup wnlyIda

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Saints Row the Third is something I'm playing on PS3. Buddy has it for PC. Not the best graphics. In fact, they could be compared to early 360 games. But the game play is the most fun I've had in a long time. IMHO, it was GOTY 2011. Totally socially irredeemable and totally stupid fun.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Good PC exclusives that I know of?

The Stalker series
Witcher 2
League of legends(free game)
Dawn of war

Although it isn't actully PC exclusive for some odd reason I would also recommend Supreme commander.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I'd suggest picking up the first two Penumbra games before moving on to Amnesia. They were really good and fairly short.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat is a great FPS/"rpg" (I say "rpg" because it's open world and you do quests, but there's no experience points or anything like that)

Witcher 1 and 2 (2 is better IMO)

Crysis and Warhead. Crysis 2 is very "meh" IMO.

Metro 2033 was my GOTY...

Cryostasis is a really neat FPS. Kind of a survival/thriller.

Dead Space 1 and 2 are really good IMO. Yeah yeah, not horror, whatever. Fun games.

You might like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It's brand spanking new. Not exactly my cup of tea, but some people really like it.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Welcome back to the best platform!

Okay, so no shooters.

If you like a good puzzle game, where you get immensely rewarding feeling after finally figuring it out all in your own: SpaceChem. It's price makes it a steal to buy on Steam.

If your at all into the strategy genre, I'd suggest Sid Meier's Civilization V. The best of the best. If you're new to the Civ, or missed Civ IV, it's more comfortable and easier to get into, and while a bit streamlined, it's still better than Civ IV. The best RTS, imho, is Rise of Nations. Roughly described, it's a mix between Age of Empires & Civilization. It came out 2002, but I picked it up just a couple of years ago and began playing it at the same time with a friend. The flow of the game really takes you away to a flow-sensation with the good old easy to learn, difficult to master & hell of a lot of things to occupy your mind, once you get the big picture.

For an RPG, that no-one didn't perhaps yet recommend, I'd suggest Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I'm usually a lot more into the gameplay, but this one also has a captivating story and overall you care what's happening, as well as the good gameplay. Titan Quest played the role of Diablo III more than well to me and a few friends.

About Witcher; I'd go straight to Witcher 2.

Bastion, Limbo and especially the SpaceChem, from independent smaller games -stack.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I recommend Company of Heroes if you're into RTS games. You can get them very cheap now and they're still very good (IMO of course).

The journey man

Webcomic Aficionado
Jun 18, 2011
Metro 2033 (My favorite game of this gen)

Orcs Must Die!

Bastion

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2

Starwars: Republic Commando

and Hard Reset

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
Valiance said:

GOG did have a great deal on the Witcher for $5, and Witcher 2 is available on their site as well. CD Projekt seems to be a great dev so far. Despite what Yahtzee said about Mirror's Edge, I highly recommend you give it a shot. It's a breath of fresh air. Challenging, not impossible, not too frustrating for me personally or either of my two friends I got to play it, but I can see how it could be. First person platforming isn't inherently bad - it gives you a really good feeling once you get it right, but Yahtzee (and tons of other players) couldn't get a hang of the controls. I'll admit they can be kinda awkward at first, but there's a learning curve, and once you realize how to execute certain maneuvers, it can be really fun. Of course it has flaws, but I think it's worth playing.

Braid and Limbo are both available on Steam, as well as Desura and other such locations. Crysis might be different enough. Don't spend much on it, but if you can catch it on sale, you might enjoy the freeform level design and stealth sections. Dead Space, maybe Dead Island (lol), RE4, RE5?, but you've probably played those both and they don't compare the same way to RE2 or Code Veronica, etc. As others have already mentioned, Amnesia/Penumbra are very good. If you're into the horror shooters, give Doom 3 a shot if it managed to fall off your radar. It's mostly just atmosphere and pop-out scares, but atmosphere can go a long way (sort of like how we are all scared by Amnesia even though everything is scripted and carefully constructed to do so, and we realize this).

Space Sims...Freespace 2, with some patches..Tachyon the Fringe, and uhhh, maybe, and I mean maybe, X3, if you have a lot of time on your hands.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Another vote for STALKER, also Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines, Civ V (Hexes are good, and no stacking makes for a challenge, AI is a little lacking though), and Battlefield 3 (May as well have been a PC exclusive from what I have seen of console versions). Don't buy too much now though, best to wait for a big Steam sale, but keep an eye on the weekend/mid week/daily specials.