Missile Command World Record Finally Falls

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Missile Command World Record Finally Falls

Victor Sandberg is the new Missile Command world record high score holder, and it only took him 56 solid hours to claim the title.

Atari unleashed the massively popular arcade game Missile Command back in 1980, when the words "Atari," "arcade" and" massively popular" could be strung together in the same sentence without raising eyebrows. In 1982, a man named Victor Ali rung up a ridiculous score of 80,364,995 points, a world record that for more than 30 years was viewed by the professional Missile Command punditry as unassailable. But everything changed this past weekend, when a new Victor rode into town and set a new mark for a new generation.

Sandberg - who, if he's smart, will now refer to himself as Vic 2.0 - put up a total of 81,796,035 points over the previous weekend, a Herculean effort that took more than 56 hours to accomplish. He was able to take brief breaks while he played because the "Marathon" rules under which he played allow the accumulation of extra cities, meaning he could step away from the game for up to 30 minutes at a time while missiles rained down, although he told Ars Technica that he prefers to take much shorter rests. In "Tournament" mode, extra cities are not allowed and the high score stands at a little shy of 4.5 million.

What possesses people to do something like this? Nostalgia is undoubtedly a big part of it, although Sandberg wasn't even born when Missile Command came out, but another likely factor is that you just don't see this kind of points-driven game anymore. The stark, win-or-lose scoring system of videogames from the classic arcade era are simply more conducive to record-setting attempts than contemporary fare.

Sandberg's record has yet to be confirmed by Twitch.tv [http://www.twingalaxies.com/].

Source: Ars Technica [arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/55-hours-81m-points-and-the-fall-of-missile-commands-30-year-old-record/]

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Pfft! Everyone knows the greatest Missile Command player is Jeff Barnes, a Nerd Herder at the electronics chain Buy More in Burbank, CA. He also stars in an awesome band named Jeffster! with his buddy Lester Patel.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Meh. Chuck Bartowski owned his ass, and he did it while listening to Rush (in a brilliant Futurama shoutout, of course).

Rhythm games are the last great bastion of points, but their structure means that most of them have been maxed out now (I remember the days of there being maybe one person in the world who could get the 750,000 point achievement on Through The Fire And Flames on Guitar Hero 3; now the theoretical maximum of about 992,000 is under threat).

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i don't care if Twin Galaxies verifies his achievement, fuck those people. Steve Wiebe 4 lyfe!

if you don't know why i rage, watch King of Kong, and join me in hating Twin Galaxies.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
As someone who started on the road to geekdom with a Vic 20, I applaud that reference.

OT, always nice to see the "unassailable" brought low.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Okay, if WW3 does break out, I want this guy running my Missile Defence system.

What 'Missile Defence System' you ask? Well now, that would be telling...

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I saw a documentary about Twin Galaxies, but the guy they had on as the Missle Command Record Holder is not the guy mentioned in the article... Anybody know what the deal is? The guy in the documentary had a pilot/military type uniform...

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Biggest thing that always got to me about the cover art for Missile Command was that goofy looking helmet that guy is wearing. It just screams Late 70's/Early 80's science fiction! I mean look of the size of that thing. It's like something Man-at-Arms from He-Man should be wearing.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Atary77 said:
Biggest thing that always got to me about the cover art for Missile Command was that goofy looking helmet that guy is wearing. It just screams Late 70's/Early 80's science fiction! I mean look of the size of that thing. It's like something Man-at-Arms from He-Man should be wearing.
I was just thinking that too, how much that helmet sticks out on the cover. He looks like a technician from the early Star Wars movies.

Cingle

Jul 12, 2006
Atary77 said:
Yeah, that's crazy! A game from that era using art that looks like it was from the era from which it was made. What were they thinking?!