Missing part of a game, major mechanics, etc (IGN RE2 review related)

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
In the case of IGN?s review, having completed Claire A I really don?t see how this is a mistake they could have made. When you beat the game, you get a pop up telling you ?hey you can do a 2nd run from the alternative viewpoint from the Story menu.? Then when you click Story, you see in the menu, not hidden at all, the option to begin the 2nd run B scenario. It is impossible to miss. It honestly makes me question if they finished the game at all. This really baffles me. If I was IGN with all those redactions I would just take down the review and put up a new one because that?s embarrassing

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
IGN hasn't been trustworthy since the word got out that they let some asshole outright steal random reviews from other less-known people. They've proven time and time again that they cannot be bothered to do their job correctly. Opting to just make the most basic of basic shit for a video game site and they can't even do that shit right.

Resident Evil 2 isn't a 100 hour Dragonquest game. The game is only a few hours long. You can literally beat every scenario in the game in a weekend. My first playthrough of Leon's A story was 5 hours and I died like a ***** a lot and cried a few times when I got scared.

If you can't be bothered to play a game for a review, then you need to get a new fucking job mate. Your job is to play a game and then tell people what you think. And as part of a business you have a deadline to get the work done. It's not that fucking demanding.

I can't for the life of me understand why these reviewers keep fucking this up.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Pretty much every mechanic in Monster Hunter World, the game really doesn't do a good job of teaching you how to play it.

There are also several mechanics the game doesn't tell you about at all that I either found out about by accident, or from a friend who is more familiar with the series.

I have tons of fun with the game still, but the learning curve is steep and I still don't feel like I've got a great grasp of it 70+ hours in(I still don't entirely understand how the food system works for example).

EDIT

Also, as far as IGN goes I haven't read a review of theirs since the 90's for a reason. It boggles my mind they're still in business after all this time.

Deadguy2322

Jul 22, 2017
Remember, you can?t spell ignorant without IGN!

Their long history of inaccurate reviews and slanted coverage goes back 20 years. By this point nobody should be taking them seriously.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Deadguy2322 said:
Remember, you can?t spell ignorant without IGN!

Their long history of inaccurate reviews and slanted coverage goes back 20 years. By this point nobody should be taking them seriously.
At the time, I was always indifferent towards IGN, but similar to GameSpot they had a habit of nitpicking or bitching about flaws in games that usually weren't that bad. And then, their review of God Hand happened and I went from indifference to hate you. Ever since that, and GameSpot's firing of Jeff Gerstman's honest review of Kane and Lynch, fuck you guys. Never looked back.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Zykon TheLich said:
So I guess maybe the topic is something along the lines of: ever find out you were missing a major mechanic, part of a game etc an embarrassingly long time after you started playing it?
Yeah, and incidentally it happened in a Resident Evil game. I didn't know about that you could run until the final chapter of Resident Evil 4. That's probably the main reason why I thought that RE4 was so goddamn scary which was an opinion that most gamers didn't share. But try playing that game without ever using the run function.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Dalisclock said:
One of the problems of being a professional game reviewer. You have a limited time to play through games that are often crammed full of content(in case of Open World games), games/generes that you may or may enjoy and then get beaten up by readers because you're either "Shilling" if the score review is too positive or "Hating" if either negative or just not positive enough for the fans(I remember Jim Sterling getting screamed at by some Nintendo fans because he didn't think Zelda:BOTW was fucking perfect, even though he said a lot of good things about it and that he liked it).
The Jim sterling review of BOTW was weird though, he cited other reviews and said I dont see why other people think this game is perfect. He also comments on the shrines being from a different build of the game and had a trow away line about the it having ubisoft outpost, towers with out really explaining why those are issues. It seemded as though he was trying to find issues with the game. Thanks to the asshats who attacked his website, there wasn't really a constructive conversation about his review.

It reminded me of the game trailers review of mod nation racers, it got dinged for having a poor story but most racing games don't have a story. Should a bad story affect the review score of a racing game.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Something Amyss said:
I've always found this particularly weird with Yahtzee. I don't know most reviewers' preferences, but Yahtzee wears them on his sleeve. "WHY DON'T YOU REVIEW THIS FRANCHISE?" "I'm not a fan of it." "WELL REVIEW IT ANY"WAY!" "I didn't like it. "THEN WHY DID YOU REVIEW IT/YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG!"
Well, that's easy to answer: They want Yahtzee to love it, so that they can say "Even Yahtzee loves it, so I am smart for loving it and you are dumb for not loving it".

Fanboys need their opinions validated constantly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Rogue Wolf said:
Something Amyss said:
I've always found this particularly weird with Yahtzee. I don't know most reviewers' preferences, but Yahtzee wears them on his sleeve. "WHY DON'T YOU REVIEW THIS FRANCHISE?" "I'm not a fan of it." "WELL REVIEW IT ANY"WAY!" "I didn't like it. "THEN WHY DID YOU REVIEW IT/YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG!"
Well, that's easy to answer: They want Yahtzee to love it, so that they can say "Even Yahtzee loves it, so I am smart for loving it and you are dumb for not loving it".

Fanboys need their opinions validated constantly.
Shoot, fangirls can be just as bad. But you're right either way. This is my problem with certain people in the fanbase who makes excuses for Yahtzee's opinions.