Miyamoto: "I Never Said Games Are Art"

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I don't subscribe to the notion that the artist has, somehow, more insight into the art he or she creates than the people who adore and study it over the course of many years, good art being what it is (always ambiguous, never easy, and more often than not, polarizing). So Mr. Miyamoto, I must rspectfully disagree. Not only are video games a valid form of art, your games are prime examples that I am right.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
derelix said:
dfphetteplace said:
derelix said:
dfphetteplace said:
Some games are works of art (Oblivion being just one example), others are not (most of the games for the Wii are not art, in fact, most are crap). Lets face it people, 90 % of games now are crap because it is easy to throw something simple together and make some money off of it. That being said, if a game is just pretty to look at and it isn't fun, what is the point?
Crap art is still art.

EDIT: The last sentence....that was a joke right? do you really think the word art just means "something nice to look at"
so music by your definition is never art?
I was referencing video games. I do very think that music is art, possibly the most wonderful art humans have ever created. I disagree that crap art is still art. If it didn't take some talent and/or imagination to create, then I do not think it is art. But! All art is subjective so what I find to be shit might be seen by someone else as wonderful beauty. Example: I can't stand Andy Warhol, but I know a lot of people really enjoy is work. I do not even consider him an artist, but that is my opinion. I think music is very artful, but I do not regard a lot of music as art, since I don't think some poeple have to talent to create anything worth listening to. I stated that Oblivion is art, and that is because, to me, the game play was extremely fun, it was beautiful to look at, the music was incredible, and all around was just a wonderful experience to me. Some games are fun, but I think calling it art is a little bit of a stretch. And then some games look awful, play terribly, and just frustrate and annoy, so I do not consider that art. Art is a term used to describe something special. Not everything ever created by humans is art. Thanks for you reply though, seems like a good discussion.
It's your opinion that it didn't take any creativity to create. That just means you don't like it, not that it's not art.
First you say art just means "eye candy" now you say music is art too, I could easily argue that all music is just random sound that people find pleasurable. Would that prove that music can't be art?
Art is not a term used to describe something special, art is not a special world changing thing. It's just entertainment. It can be thought provoking but no fictional book or movie is ever going to end a war or save a life.
One guy can say total recall is art, another guy can say its crap that took zero creativity. It's just images on a screen meant to make you feel a little better.
Like I said, art is subjective. Also, you don't think a fictional book has ever changed a life? You say they haven't ended any wars, but they have started them - Uncle Tom's Cabin.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Well, going by the definition on Wikipedia, I see no reason that video games wouldn't be considered art.

Good to hear Miyamoto isn't letting this stuff get to his head.