Miyamoto is Not Stepping Down

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Didn't you...isn't there...you know, already an article explaining this?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wasn't he making a game based on swimming, whats the situation with that, is it happening?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Richardplex said:
randomguy425 said:
so wait, he is retiring, but not really retiring. but now it turns out that his sort-of retiring is not really happening?

So nothing changes? >.>
He was retiring, then Nintendo saw that shit started hitting the fan at that, so they're scrambling to undo the damage. His plans are staying the same (having more direct effect on the younger developers), Nintendo are just getting getting rid of the whole retiring-to-remove-a-barrier thing.

So yes, nothing changes :D
Yep, that's my take on it too. Nothing really changes on the inside, but investors probably started crapping themselves at the news and this is just a rewording enforced by Nintendo so their stocks don't tank even further than they have the in recent times.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010

my evil plan is working! everyone is confused!
Muhahahahahahahahahaha!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Is he or isn't he? Why won't they tell us? Why must they toy with our emotions? Is it a secret or something?

Oh.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Grenge Di Origin said:
Whatever the case, whatever good he's done for the game industry I'm certain someone else could do just as well, if not better. It's just that too many of the industry's patrons and participants are so narrow minded we keep eating the same crap over and over.
I agree with that, but I think he's a strong model for the next generation, insofar as how to actually work in this industry. Creativity is, by its nature, a more limited resource than labor, especially in a creative medium.

By that, I mean that we shouldn't fear his involvement in training the next generation; they will come into their own in time...assuming Nintendo gets off this binge of cannibalizing all of Miyamoto's works year after year; decade after bloody decade.

You can see glimmers of creativity in some of Nintendo's works; it's just that they get buried in the dross of overdone franchises.

Also,
*hugs your avatar*
Good ol' Intet. Still haven't found a better dragon pic yet, and I can't draw or sketch for shit.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
It is my actual belief that Shigeru Miyamoto is the greatest man in the video game industry.

It'd be a shame, an awful shame to lose him. Though I wouldn't want him to force himself to work if he was tired of it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Oh my, a lot of flip-flopping in the news today. Great news though, even though the prospect of Miyamoto doing a new franchise was exciting.
You've gotta wonder though how much of this is cuz of the stock drop.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Does anybody else think that with the magic of the internet, we might be ingesting news a touch too fast? Say, before we fully understand what we're talking about?

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
You see, Miyamoto is never gonna retire. Because he has found the secret to immortality.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Well I for one am glad. After all, he is behind a ton of Nintendo's best products and even though I haven't bought anything Nintendo for years, I would still like to see him with power. Just look at that picture, he knows he's badass.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
It's nice to know that Miyamoto isn't actually retiring. He's basically allowed Nintendo to stay on the path that has (somewhat) made them a lot of money and made a lot of quality games, and while there were some blunders and some questionable design choices (I still don't see the point of the Wii if a lot of the best games I can think for the console don't actively use its motion features), he's done a lot.

But at the same time, this story makes me feel like he's the next Hironobu Sakaguchi. To people who don't recognize that name, he's the brainchild behind Final Fantasy. More specifically, he's the brainchild behind I-X, and a lot of the spinoff titles in that time frame. While it's debatable between a lot of the gaming community about where the Final Fantasy started to become crap (or whether it is crap), I'm firmly under the belief that Sakaguchi was the reason Final Fantasy was awesome up to beyond X, which is around where he and a lot of the famous Squeenix staff left. Every Final Fantasy since that has been mediocre imo, with a lot of poor decisions overall.

So, am I the only one thinking that Nintendo might go down this same path when Miyamoto retires?

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Translation: He spent his retirement money on drugs, so now it's back to making games. Good to have you on board again, champ.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
There's a time for everything. Nintendo is going down anyway.

(Hmmm... That's strange. I don't see any Skyrim jokes)