Miyamoto is Stepping Down

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Good! Mario, Zelda and the rest have been going backwards for awhile now, so it's about time Miyamoto did something different.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
EHKOS said:
I know it's not his style, but I would like to see him tackle an FPS game. Because I really want to shoot goombas in the head.
Miyamoto was actually heaivly involved in the development of Geist, a quirky FPS for the gamecube. It was flawed, but very original.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Grey Carter said:
EHKOS said:
I know it's not his style, but I would like to see him tackle an FPS game. Because I really want to shoot goombas in the head.
Miyamoto was actually heaivly involved in the development of Geist, a quirky FPS for the gamecube. It was flawed, but very original.
Oh, I remember seeing that at Toys R Us when it first came out. I was too young to play it at the time. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Thank the goddess hes staying in the business, though I will admit him leaving nintendo will be weird. The two of them have provided a lot of entertainment and successfully nurtured a long running addiction to a certain legend involving Zelda.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
I really think is a good thing. It gives a good excuse for series like Zelda and Mario to expand further beyond Miyamoto's original ideas while he can put his mind at work in other places without the restrictions that come from working with such classics.

I'm excited to see what these new projects turn out to be.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I'm just wondering wether Bob will throw anything into The Big Picture about him, as a tribute or something seeing how he's such a big fan.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I honestly hope that Nintendo doesn't do to the remaining franchises that Miyamoto created, that they did to Metroid and just hand off development right to whoever.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Hmmm. Miyamoto returning to pure development. Smaller scale may mean he's going to dabble in the DL market. Y'know, simpler demands and all.

Good luck, noble soldier. The only man who can make the next Mario may very well be the man who made Mario.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
This is a day I have not looked forward to. Going back to smaller games with shorter dev cycles is a good thing but this signals the beginning of the end. I would be ok with Miyamoto leaving Nintendo to start up his own small company but I don't think that will happen. It's more like he's back in the basement so he can dream up great gaming ideas but the basement is closer to the door than the top floor executive office.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow. That's... Wow. He's the father of our industry, nothing would be the same if it were not for him, and him alone. Video games probably wouldn't even exist outside of a core niche audience without him. I can't really see what would happen without him as a big shot Nintendo guy, but I look forward to what he'll make once he's not held down by the very franchises he created.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
I've got star trek 2 stuck in my head :p. Keep on seeing Miyamoto as captain kirk stepping down from an admiral's position to become what he was always meant to be, a starship captain.

Is it just me kinda seeing the parallels here? I need to watch wrath of khan again...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well I don't know if I'd be as comfortable handing my creations off to others as he is.
Better to hand them off than to have them ripped away like some other developers have.
True, but you can bet I'd do everything in my power to prevent that from happening.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Finally slipping loose the shackles of big business, eh?
Best of wishes to you Miyamoto, in your future endeavors.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Jesus, he looks like he's about to form the evil finger pyramid and take over the world

OT: best of luck to him in the future, and thanks for my childhood, essentially.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
He is not stepping down. We now have two threads that contradict each other. This one should be locked since it's false.