Miyamoto: Mario is Coming to Mobile Because That's Where People Play Games

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Miyamoto: Mario is Coming to Mobile Because That's Where People Play Games

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1347/1347975.png
Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto says that the gaming landscape has changed, and that mobile is where people are playing games now.

Two years ago, a Nintendo investor Time Magazine [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211792/Mario_microtransactions_One_investor_puts_pressure_on_Nintendo.php] that the gaming landscape has changed, and mobile is where people are playing games now.

"[There was] a point in time when our hardware systems were the number one gaming platforms in the world," Miyamoto told Time. "But now we see that smart devices have reached significant penetration across the globe. So for us as designers, our goal is always to try to bring our characters and games to as broad an audience as possible."

That's not to say that Nintendo has given up on its consoles though. Miyamoto goes on to explain that Nintendo's mobile efforts are in part a way of driving more customers to purchase its more traditional games. "As you've seen with Pokemon Go, we have millions of people who may never have played a Pokemon game, or maybe just knew the name Pokemon, who are now playing that game...and the result of that is that we're also seeing sales of things like our original Pokemon Red and Blue games on the rise. We think we'll see a similar effect with Super Mario Run."

As for Super Mario Run as a game, you can rest assured that it won't be just a cheap mobile cash-grab, as an all-star team has been brought in to develop it. "We've brought together the developers at Nintendo who know the side-scrolling Mario games best, to work with them to develop the best side-scrolling Mario game for a mobile device," said Miyamoto.

Source: Time [http://time.com/4482878/super-mario-run-apple-iphone-shigeru-miytamoto/]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Sure, but people play dumb and shallow games on mobile. It's the only kind there is. If that's the kind of game you want to make then by all means. Go forth and best of luck to you.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Can't wait to hear Nintendo fans explain how 'innovative' the company is being by making yet another fucking infinite runner on mobile.

GG WP, Nintendo.

Adam Jensen said:
dumb and shallow games. It's the only kind there is.
But that's just patently untrue. Sure, the vast majority are 'dumb and shallow', but there are some quality, content-rich games to be had on mobile platforms. It's no different than the library of titles available on handhelds, or even consoles or PCs.

I mean...unless you want to say the DS, 3DS, Vita, Gameboy, etc, have nothing but 'dumb and shallow' games, by virtue of being mobile platforms.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
That's not to say that Nintendo hasn't given up on its consoles though.
I think that should be "That's not to say that Nintendo has given up on its consoles though." Accursed double negative...

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Callate said:
Steven Bogos said:
That's not to say that Nintendo hasn't given up on its consoles though.
I think that should be "That's not to say that Nintendo has given up on its consoles though." Accursed double negative...
Thank you!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
So when are they bringing Nintendo to PC then? There's a rather large audience there too you know, releasing games you never released outside of Japan.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Nazulu said:
So when are they bringing Nintendo to PC then? There's a rather large audience there too you know, releasing games you never released outside of Japan.
2K is finally porting Red Dead Redemption to PC so really all bets are off now.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I've not seen the event of game in question so it's possible that were I to see it I would not be making this piece of speculation, but:

There are tiers of games in terms of how much money is expected to be spent on them. Could it be that this move is meant not to provide another platform on which Nintendo games could be played but rather a way for Nintendo to more sneakily advertise their upper tier games? I.e. those that will come out on 3DS and/or project NX?

I mean, the more places people see your products on the better, but I wonder if that is their primary purpose with this move.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Nazulu said:
Probably not for at least another decade. Nintendo has a long history of doing whatever the Japanese audience alone wants/will support without too much concern for the international market: Just look at what they did to the poor Paper Mario series based on a JP-only magazine poll, or calling V2 of the 3DS "New 3DS" because it sounds fancy to the Japanese audience (though I kinda blame that one on NOA for not fighting to change it locally, since it sounds fucking dumb and confusing in English-speaking countries).

Personal computer ownership/literacy is still really low in Japan, it's all handheld devices and consoles right now. So until the PC market booms there I think it's a bit unlikely Nintendo'll ever make a move on it.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Yeah, this is just to entice people to go and get Nintendo hardware so they can play a more in depth version of the game. He even compared it to Pokemon Go, stating that PMGo caused sales of traditional PM games to go up.
So yeah, this isn't the future home of Nintendo, just a way of getting more customers. A smart move to be honest, that way they grab the attention of those who remember Mario from their childhoods, but lost sight of the games. This will make them notice Mario again, making them realise that there are still games with him, and then go out and seek those out. Same thing happened with PMGo, I've spoke to quite a few who where around for the original craze in the 90s and didn't know they still made games, just to then go and seek them out. This is a side effect of Nintendo kind of abandoning older and mature players, and primarily focusing on kids. After a while you just jump ship or stop all together if you feel like it's no longer for you because nothing seems to cater to your changing taste. Doesn't mean that you don't still enjoy MArio and co, just that you want different challenges.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Huh. Impressive. It took only one post into the thread for the "mobile games are shovelware" argument to spring up.

I'd also be able to take that argument more seriously if it wasn't the same argument being applied by the "PC master race" to console games, and by film snobs who declare games as a medium to be a waste of time, who had to defend against literary snobs that films were a waste of time, who a century ago had to deal with theatre critics claiming that novels were waste of time, and, well, you get the idea.

Edit: Oh, and Sonic did the same thing a few years back with Sonic Runners. I guess that while their fortunes have differed, the hedgehog is still faster than the plumber. ;p

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Well, that is an odd way to phrase it, Miyamoto. Still, as long as Nintendo is making consoles, I'm all good. I just want to start knowing about the NX as soon as possible, though.

Nazulu said:
Actually, there have been several Nintendo to PC releases... It's just that they're all from the 90's and they've all sucked (with a few being meme makers).

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
And so Nintendo takes those first sslippery steps down the path Sega took. Well the sooner the better. Att this point ninetendo really has no business making consoles. COnsidering the only thing worth while on them is their rarely released first party titles.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Sounds like they're basically saying "We can't ignore reality anymore" to me. Better late than never, boys. It's about time you at the VERY least gave mobile users a taste of what they're missing.

(Well at least official versions, there's no shortage of ROMs and home-made stuff available, not condoning piracy or yadda yadda but EVERYONE knows it...)

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Know what? I can honestly say I don't mind as long as Nintendo doesn't leave the rest of us behind for that sweet mobile money.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Look Ma! I'm popular!

Fulbert said:
Nazulu said:
2K is finally porting Red Dead Redemption to PC so really all bets are off now.
That is fucking awesome news, I've been waiting for it, hoping for so long. Still, I'm not sure it would really be THAT popular that Nintendo still couldn't rake in enough.

Thanks for sharing that.

ToastyMozart said:
Probably not for at least another decade. Nintendo has a long history of doing whatever the Japanese audience alone wants/will support without too much concern for the international market: Just look at what they did to the poor Paper Mario series based on a JP-only magazine poll, or calling V2 of the 3DS "New 3DS" because it sounds fancy to the Japanese audience (though I kinda blame that one on NOA for not fighting to change it locally, since it sounds fucking dumb and confusing in English-speaking countries).

Personal computer ownership/literacy is still really low in Japan, it's all handheld devices and consoles right now. So until the PC market booms there I think it's a bit unlikely Nintendo'll ever make a move on it.
I admit, I completely forgot about that. I still believe this makes them look backwards and foolish though, don't see why they can't just get another team to do it for them. It's like they don't want to expand and make money.

Mr.Mattress said:
Actually, there have been several Nintendo to PC releases... It's just that they're all from the 90's and they've all sucked (with a few being meme makers).

That I didn't know, how interesting. This just seems like they have less of an excuse now.

Kibeth41 said:
It's not as big as you think it is, and nowhere near as big of an untapped market (for Nintendo) as phones are.. At least before Pokemon Go was released.

Most people use PCs for utility purposes, rather than gaming. Those who do use them for gaming tend to be pretty invested into gaming as a medium, so they already have awareness of Nintendo IPs.

Phones on the otherhand, are often used for gaming by many people who know almost nothing about games. And almost everyone has a phone that they use constantly. Many people have PCs which they'll only use when it's an absolute necessity.

From Miyamoto's quote, the games are basically advertisements for Nintendo consoles.
I don't know if I can ever agree with that. Some games on PC have sold very well, and there is so much diversity for everyone these days and still new developers can become very successful.

I'm not doubting that the mobile market can be more profitable, but I don't believe the PC market is not just something hidden in a corner either. And even then, Nintendo aren't poor, and I have no doubt they can see the benefits of a PC. They're turning a blind eye to it just because. Don't you think it would benefit them more? People play their games over the net regardless so they might as well expand.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Kibeth41 said:
Nazulu said:
I don't know if I can ever agree with that. Some games on PC have sold very well, and there is so much diversity for everyone these days and still new developers can become very successful.

I'm not doubting that the mobile market can be more profitable, but I don't believe the PC market is not just something hidden in a corner either. And even then, Nintendo aren't poor, and I have no doubt they can see the benefits of a PC. They're turning a blind eye to it just because. Don't you think it would benefit them more? People play their games over the net regardless so they might as well expand.
I never said that it's a small market.

I said they're not often used for gaming by "non-gamers".

Most PC gamers already know of Nintendo. Most phone gamers do not.
Ah Ok. It's just that your first sentence seemed like it, before you put 'and'. I wasn't contesting with the rest of your post.