Miyamoto States Interest in A Link to the Past 3DS Remake

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Miyamoto States Interest in A Link to the Past 3DS Remake

In a recent interview with Edge, Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda series, said the game he would most like to remake next for the 3DS is the critically acclaimed, 1991 Super Nintendo title The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

"Do you remember Xevious? It's two-layered and I really wanted to create that at the time," he said. "So to see Link To The Past in two layers would be quite attractive for me."

This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo remade the game. In 2002, the title was ported to the Game Boy Advance with altered music, some updated sprites and even an additional dungeon. This also wouldn't be the first time that interest in remaking the game in 3D has been stated by the series' staff.

Back in 2007, Miyamoto's protégé and current producer of the series Eiji Aonuma told Official Nintendo Magazine that A Link to the Past was his main inspiration when working on Ocarina of Time and that he'd be interested to see it remade in 3D.

With two of the most influential forces of the series interested in a remake, an Ocarina of Time remake coming to 3DS next month and the 20th anniversary of A Link to the Past coming up in November, it seems like a complete, 3D remake of the beloved title -- Edge, Nintendo Power and Game Informer, among others, listed the game in the top 10 of their best games of all time lists - could very well happen this time.

The question is will the game stick to its 2D roots or follow in the steps of its console sequels?

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/miyamoto-%E2%80%9Cwe%E2%80%99ll-focus-more-on-gaming%E2%80%9D]

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
This one might actually be a more justified remake than OoT, considering the differences they could make in both graphics and in adding content.

Plus, it's the 20th anniversary, so that might be a good way to celebrate. Just let there be an option to play the original version as well as the updated on.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
favorite zelda game EVER!!!!!!!!!! it would be the only thing convincing me to get a 3ds, i could see this game working SO WELL in it

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
*points to GBA*

You already remade it. For the love of god Nintendo, stop remaking remakes. I get it, 3D is new and exciting, and pretty awesome now that you dont need glasses. But remaking old content to fit a new Dimension is lame.

Make a NEW adventure for Link, that will utilise the hardware to its potential.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
aren't all legend of zeldas basically link to the past remakes? I mean, legend of zelda is the most self-derivative game series of all time.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
If they made the gameplay 3D as well, I'd probably get it. If is the same 2D game with 3D graphics, no way.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Altorin said:
aren't all legend of zeldas basically link to the past remakes? I mean, legend of zelda is the most self-derivative game series of all time.
"The most"

Seriously, the way the industry looks at the moment, I'd say the Zelda franchise isn't even more self-derivative than average. If you think Zelda is more self-derivative than say Pokemon, then I'm prepared to call you a madman.

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
If they did a 3D remake of A Link to the Past, would Link still have his pink hair just to humor the fans who played A Link to the Past for the SNES? I honestly would like to see that.

coolerthanice21

Feb 23, 2010
A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game, so this is exciting. If they package it with Link's Awakening, it might be considered the best thing ever.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
This would be cool, but it'd be interesting to see if it's truly a 3D remake or just a remastering, as it were. Link's Awakening is coming out on the virtual Console as a 3D game, but only in the sense it's the same game with 3D added on. Perhaps we will see Link to the Past done like OoT...

But first, Majora's Mask. Make it happen.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Do want.

Top down Zeldas are more fun for me. Can't get into the 3D ones nearly as much.

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
Uber Waddles said:
*points to GBA*

You already remade it. For the love of god Nintendo, stop remaking remakes. I get it, 3D is new and exciting, and pretty awesome now that you dont need glasses. But remaking old content to fit a new Dimension is lame.

Make a NEW adventure for Link, that will utilise the hardware to its potential.
yeah, pretty much this. LttP and previous Zelda games were primarily action games, I wish they still were.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Remakes Nintendo. oy vey..

Stop it with this crap.

Oh fine my Facade isn't working.
I hate your rehashing Nintendo but I would love you forever if you remade ALttP in 3D!

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I got to try the 3DS for the first time the other day. While my eyes did feel funny after a while, I found the 3D quite impressive, as it's not how you imagine it would be. However, I'm yet to see a single game, besides minigame collections, that I can't play on consoles I've already got or had. It'll take more than "But it's in 3D!" to make me want a console that seems entirely supported by ports and remakes. When are Nintendo going to come up with something new for it?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Quite frankly I would rather have them remake Link Awakening or Orcale of Time and Season. I think those one need the remake more. I don't know why but I prefer Link to the Past the way it is unless the remake is really good (like competely revamping the dungeons).

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
allistairp said:
The question is will the game stick to its 2D roots or follow in the steps of its console sequels?
Well, it doesn't have to completely choose one over the other.

Remember, the DS Wind Waker sequels both were top down like classic Zelda but with 3D graphics.

It would be interesting visual mechanic however if the past was in 2D and the future was in 3D.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Interesting.
While LttP was a great game id much rather if they remade Link's Awakening.
The best top down Zelda imo.
But oh well, as long as i get to get it off the virtual console then im good.